Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenant rights

Options
  • 02-05-2006 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

this may sound silly but its just a debate i'm currently in:

i am currently renting a house with a live-in landlord and three others. with the weather picking up, i thought it would be an idea to get a washing line for the back garden as there currently isn't one fitted.

who should pay for this washing line?

as far as im concerned its a fixture of the house that will remain there when i leave. but my live-in landlord insists we should divide the cost of the line equally. and he personally wouldn't be bothered with a line so if i hadn't of said it, the garden would remain, line-less!!!

please advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Get one of those rotary ones from Argos or somewhere. They come with a ground stake. If you buy it, it will be yours unless you agree to leave it there when you leave. Make sure the landlord understands it will be coming with you.

Once you have the landlords permission to put it down, you'll be sorted. When the time comes to leave, collapse the line, get up the stake and leave with your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to hardware store, buy rope for €5. Don't care about it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

option one, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

that seems a bit petty on ur behave tack. y complain over something cause 5 - 10 euro? jus wondering

no i know where your coming from

its more of a debate to be honest. i considered it a fixture and fitting. its a washing line for the house and he wants all housemates to chip in for it.

my point is that when we all leave, which we will, he'll still be there availing of the washing line.

it may sound petty but money is not the point. i was just wondering and was looking to end the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

T&#225 wrote: »
    no i know where your coming from

its more of a debate to be honest. i considered it a fixture and fitting. its a washing line for the house and he wants all housemates to chip in for it.

my point is that when we all leave, which we will, he'll still be there availing of the washing line.

it may sound petty but money is not the point. i was just wondering and was looking to end the debate.

Remember, when your landlord is living in the same house as you, you do not have the same tenants rights as someone renting a stand alone property.

IMHO, sharing the cost of a washing line amongst the housemates, seems fair, after all you are really sharing his home and he could have refused the erection of a washing line outright ?... ;) .

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ye paddy I was just about to say the same thing. If you were not sharing with him it would be completely different. anyway hope u got it sorted mate. only thing I would be worried about is when he starts using ur line you will go nuts haha

now that would be petty!!! LOL

another question:

what about the television licence? the renewal form has just come in and my landlord/friend asked me what did i think of the payment. should he pay it, or should we all chip in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

The question is how many TVs are in the house. Most people have more than one so sharing the payment makes sense. AS it is a tax for viewing telly you all should pay a share if you watch the TV IMHO

• Advertisement

Yes i understand what you mean. sure with the quality of programmes on RTÉ its only fair we should really pay for all tele's in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

T&#225 wrote: »
    what about the television licence? the renewal form has just come in and my landlord/friend asked me what did i think of the payment. should he pay it, or should we all chip in?
    Its a bill.

If you pay ESB, cable TV, etc. you pay this also. If bills are included in the rent, then so should this.

Advertisement