Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 corsa eco -timing belt or chain?

Options
  • 02-05-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

my father can get a corsa cheap off my sister but at about 70k miles ,timing belt/chain probably needs changing.the user manual does not mention timing belt at all,even for maintenance.searched this forum and someone said 97+ corsa eco had chains but how can i know for sure.any help would be great. by the way,does the timing chain on a 98 almera need to be changed with 80k miles .if so how much roughly for parts.
    cheers
    derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

1 liter engine:then it has timing chain,this means you don't have to worry about it.
    1.2 or 1.4: then it came with timing belt.Replacement interval is 80k miles or 8 years.
    If it's older than '97 then the replacement interval is 40k miles or 4 years.

But I would change the belt and tensioners,waterpump etc. in every 50k-60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Just asked my mate who works for Nissan about the Almera timing chain:
    He said you can clock up another 100k miles before you need to check on it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

gibbon75 wrote:
    Just asked my mate who works for Nissan about the Almera timing chain:
    He said you can clock up another 100k miles before you need to check on it ;)

An Almera engine is a far cry from the 1L 3cyl Ecotec engine that's in a corsa.

The timing chain can be heard making noise in nearly all the 1L corsas from as little as 20K miles. This is due to the oil delivery to the chain becoming less effective as time goes by. It was somewhat remedied on newer models but all will sooner or later be plagued by the distinctive 1L corsa sound.

Is it necessary to change the chain after a certain mileage? Well that's down to an opinion.

Opel will state that it should last near enough the life of the car but there is a lot of them being replaced. The job itself is not an easy one and is actually more labour intensive then most chain replacements. The parts involved are only to be got through a main dealer and if you got them to carry out the job you'd be looking at the wrong side of €1000 id say.

They are a bad engine in my opinion and pose a lot of known problems. Id steer clear.

Although you could weld two together do away with the chains and have a nice 2L v6.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

nearly sure the corsa is a 1.2 litre,so probably has a belt.can get belt,water pump done off mechanic i know for about 200,so its not too bad.thats good news about the almera.i change the oil and filter every 6 months myself ,so hopefully i can get many more miles out of it before it starts makin noises.
    cheers for the info folks
    mayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

VeVeX wrote:
    Although you could weld two together do away with the chains and have a nice 2L v6.

Bonkers! :D I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

if its a 1.2 its belt and if its 1.0 3 cyl run away from it as fast as you can.the 3 cyl is probably the worst engine in any car at the moment. as for the almera i've seen those with 250,000 miles on the original chain.

Advertisement