Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My life is going down...

• 02-05-2006 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i just said id leave a post here to see what ye guys think about my
    problems. I am 23 years old and have a bad problem with drink its not
    that i always drink and have the need to drink because i only drink on
    weekends my problem is i cant drink and have not got one clue what im
    doing when im drunk. So so many times i have said this is it and im giving
    up the drink for good but two weeks down the road i convince myself and
    my girlfriend that im ok and il be grand if we go out but once again i loose it
    and end of hurting everyone around me because of it. Now me and my girlfriend
    who i have been going out with for about 4 years think its time i done something about it and got help someplace, I am willing to do anything to get away from
    drinking and to have a happy life because right now im one unhappy person.
    Thing is if i ask to go to rehab there might not be a place for me as i am not like
    all other alcoholics as far i know anyway because the probleam is not drinking all the time its the way i get from drink and the fact that i have tried so many times to stop and just keep going out again. I suppose im just looking for some
    advise here if i can?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Advise: Stop drinking - completely. Honestly, that sounds like the best thing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Paul123: Call alcoholics anonymous and attend a meeting. Listen and decide if they can help you. You might have a problem. You might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

have you tried only bringing out about 30 quid with you so you're limited to only a few drinks. Maybe try leaving early. I know it sounds sucky but I can be the same as you, although I hurt myself physically more doing stupid stuff than I would hurt anyone else!

Maybe go out late too, so that when you get out everyone else will be quite drunk and you'll have less drinking time. Plus you'll get to see what you're like when you have a few beers on you. Maybe stop going out for a few weeks. Stay in with a film/tv/video game and a 6-pack if you must drink, because you'll drink slower and it will limit you to 6 beers.

Plus if you really feel the need to relieve the stress built up during the week, why not try a joint or 2 at the weekend for at least one of the nights. The worst that will happen to you is that you'll start thinking stuff is freaky, eat a lot of food and you'll fall asleep on the couch!

I know people might think that it's not a good idea to be smoking weed or whatever, but there's too much reliance on the drug that is alcohol in this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Talk to your G.P. He or she can put you in contact with the right supports. But essentially it will amount to you giving up the drink not least until you are mature enough to handle it.

It may be worth your while to contact Alcoholics Anonyomous they are used to dealing with alcohol abuse in all its forms and can help you. Here are their contact details
    Telephone Services
    Your Doctor, Social Worker or Clergyman may put you in contact with AA, or your call will be welcome at any of the following telephone services.

List of Useful Telephone Numbers
    General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous
    109 South Circular Road , Leonard’s Corner, Dublin 8
    Hours: Mon. – Fri. 9.30am - 5.00pm (open through lunch)
    Telephone: (01) 4538998
    Fax: (01) 4537673
    Email: ala@indigo.ie

AA Leinster Telephone Service
    Tel: 1890 412 412

Central Service Office (CSO)
    Suite 4, 7 Donegall Street Place, Belfast BT1 2FN
    Tel: (048) 90 434848

Cork Telephone Service
    Tel: (021) 4500481
    Hours 8.00 pm – 10.00 pm

Limerick Telephone Service
    Tel: (061) 311222
    Answering Machine at all times

Kerry Area Phone Service
    Tel: (066) 7128720

Connaught Telephone Service
    To talk to someone tel: (091) 767777
    Hours: Mon – Fri 7.30pm – 10.00pm, Sat 11.30am to 2.00pm
    Or leave a message at any time.

Waterford Aea Telephone Service: (051) 373 173

Good Luck and remember that the first step is acknowledging that there is a problem and looking for ways to tackle it.

Big Willy WTF!!!

You're advising a person who has admitted to having an addictive problem/personality i.e. that he cannot give up a substance that is adversely affecting not only himself but others around him, to substitute one addictive substance for another!!

And don't give me the story that it's not addictive. Chocolate is addictive if it is used in the wrong way! The onlt thing is that chocolate has less side effects!

Arrragh you make me mad :mad: Whatever individuals want to do in the privacy of their own lives is their own perogative but do not advocate as a lifestyle change to others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Well it's a way for him to let off steam one or two nights a week that he would otherwise be drinking on. You've obviously never smoked so I don't expect any sort of rational answer from you on the subject.

This kinda reminds me of the South Park where everyone is trying to convince Randy that he has a drinking problem. I'm not saying that this guy doesn't, OR does, just that from what I can see he just needs to go from having maybe 10+ drinks a night to around 5 or 6.

If he needs to let off steam take up a sport, martial arts, GAA, boxing, the list is endless.

As for not having a rational answer - if being rational is educating myself on the sideeffects of various recreational drugs and then deciding on whether or not I would like to risk my longterm mental health. I beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You don't have to drink all the time or drink everday to abuse alcohol and be an alcoholic.
    You may only abuse alcohol one day of the year and drink so much that you loose the run of yourself and can't stop drinking for that one day and that is all it takes.
    You are by the sounds of it a binge alcholic, there are a lot of them arround,
    be it the pattern of getting out of your skull once a week, once a month or once ever 6weeks that still makes a you an alcoholic.

http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/opencontent/default.asp

You can manage two weeks but not after that, I would seriously suggest getting in touch with your dr and finding an AA meeting or geting in touch to talk to some one from AA if your not able to face a meetin straight away.

It seems that you do know that there is a problem and you are looking at how it is effecting your life and you want to change it, congratulations that is a big achievement in it's self.
    Now get yourself the help and suport that you need to get through this.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the advice lads, It does help.

Bigwilly see i cant just go out with 30quid and have a few drinks thats my problem im 100% not able to do that once i start drinking i cant stop. Right
    now my only option is to give it up and never look back again. Im going to see
    a GP next week and have a chat with him about this and see if that helps at this
    stage i just really hope that i can never drink again.

Advertisement