Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combined Community Codec Pack

Options
  • 02-05-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

i dont know much about Anime but i came across this and thought it might be useful to those that do :Dhttp://tinyurl.com/f9ev3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Havnt actually used it before - personally I find VLC plays everything I want it to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I have just a few eps of anime that can only play though the VLC player, its pretty handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I am actually quite tempted to go down the route of CCCP.

I have used all in one packs like the K-lite mega codec pack, but there
    is so much crap in there that they fight each other (its fun when you
    see 2 versions of the same softsub imposed on the video).

Being able to display the anime on 2 monitors is a hard requirement
    for me, and that thins out the player options for me completely. So
    its Media Player Classic or nothing. I think that nixed VLC in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The CCCP will play .mkv files (I think that's the extension) a file VLC wont play, or at least wouldn't play for me without skipping, hanging and stuttering. So for those files I use the player that came with the pack otherwise I just use videolan. It's no harm to have both really, there's no conflicts as far as I can see anyway.

VideoLan has some pretty good inbuilt codec support, but its the only one that really does. Every other player has very limited in-built codec support or none at all, as they use your system codecs (i.e. DirectShow codecs on Windows). If your codecs are setup correctly, you will be able to play the appropriate files on any DirectShow compatible player, like even possibly PowerDVD (haven't tried this) or the preview player in the Nero 'Add Files' file browser, as well as conventional media players like WMP, Winamp etc.

Typically though in-built codec support is only handy when your codec demands are not demanding (this rules out anime fans), and VideoLan should never be relied on exclusively for its in-built playback. While xvid/divx/wmv are handled well internally, its the freaky stuff like the open-source containers (MKV/OGM), VsFilters (for subs), ffdshow (for all the hard crap like h264) and the funky audio codecs that need your main codec setup to be top notch. And of course VideoLan's interpretation of these can interfere with your system versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I've been using CCCP for well over a year now ( I think it was put together by "anime4ever" ). Media Player Classic is easily my favourite player. It also includes Zoom Player. The codecs pack is excellent, it will play mkv,ogm and everything else. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I've been using VLC for years now. Never had a problem with any files unless they were dodge to begin with and then they usually wont play on any other media player on my lappy :eek:

Try playing a dual-audio, quad-subbed, h264 encoded MKV with aac audio and ASS styled softsubs, and having it display correctly on 2 monitors.

That just totally breaks most players attempts at compatibility.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

VLC has the worst seek function I've ever seen; but it does play nearly everything.

Makaveli: mkv is just a container, it's more likely that VLC has a problem with the h.264 codec.

Mostly I use the CCCP with MPC.

sharingan wrote:
    Try playing a dual-audio, quad-subbed, h264 encoded MKV with aac audio and ASS styled softsubs, and having it display correctly on 2 monitors.

If I could repeat what you just said I'd be doing well. :D

I dont tinker with the files I get down. Usually they are already subbed so I'm just playing a media file as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

A lot of dvd rips have soft subs, and some are encoded as above, well, not sure what quad-subbed is (unless it's four different languages) and videolan skips and stutters all over the place trying to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Wow, CCCP looks good, but I'm not going to jinx myself just as things are working okay. Usually get my CODECs based on good ol' AnimeSuki's recommendations, since most anime I get is referenced by them anyway.

As for player, I used to use 'The Core Media Player' to play my files, decent front end on it, but has started having problems with certain encodes in the past few months. Switched back to VLC, but the overlay problem with subs is too big a pain, plus front end is a bit rough. Tried a move back to Winamp - discovered they don't support *.mkv, even with the right CODECs installed :eek: (how the mighty have fallen).
    Then I remembered about MPC - not the fanciest, but solid and better then VLC. I now heartily recommend it as player of choice and recommend everyone who doesn't use it to have it as a backup on your system.

Cosine wrote:
    If I could repeat what you just said I'd be doing well. :D

I dont tinker with the files I get down. Usually they are already subbed so I'm just playing a media file as is.

I dont tinker with them either, but softsubbed ASS+h264+MKV container is actually not uncommon with modern fansubs. I have also seen 5x audio (AAC), 5x-softsubbed, MKV releases (GHibli movie rips).

Its the softsubbing that can be treated quite funny if you have multiple filters capable of processing it.

Edit: Makaveli quad subbed relates to multiple languages subtitle files. I have seen releases which had the 2 audio tracks (say english+japanese) and then subs for english and 3 more languages. And yes, I have also seen releases with 5 audio languages.

Edit: psicic Yup MPC is simply the most compatible, and works the best with installed codecs. As long as you can get the codecs installed properly, MPC can play it right. And on multiple monitors to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

use CoreAVC for h264, far better than ffdshow.

I think I will stick to all-in-one codec packs. I have no problem with h264 playback, but I have a lot of trouble with softsubs not showing right or doubling up.

If they give me ffdshow instead of coreAVC I will take them.

sharingan wrote:
    I dont tinker with them either, but softsubbed ASS+h264+MKV container is actually not uncommon with modern fansubs. I have also seen 5x audio (AAC), 5x-softsubbed, MKV releases (GHibli movie rips).

lol your taking what I said too literaly. I ment I dont do anything aside from playing them, I don't download any soft subs and the like.

Prob cuz I'm such a lazy bunt :p

Cosine wrote:
    lol your taking what I said too literaly. I ment I dont do anything aside from playing them, I don't download any soft subs and the like.

I am not reacting to your comment, but softsubbed releases are actually becoming quite common. They are actually quite tricky at times too.

Unless you are exclusively DLing AVI-only fansubs you can't guarantee that you are not getting softsubbed releases. Many of the MKV releases are softsubbed for instance (it would be pointless to release MKV fansubs unless you used some of these features).

Aye, with the program I use to aquire all my anime 99.9% of it is .avi fansubbed with the ocasional dubbed thrown in to anoy and agrivate me :rolleyes:

Having said that it is very limited in its selection outside of the well known series so I'm gona have to start a wandering the interweb again ;) Chances are I'll end up using softsubs and saying that CCCP is the bees knees (or other bodily part, I dont discriminate)

Program for getting anime? Unless its some locked in/private network p2p program, you must be getting a very limited selection.

BitTorrent is just far better at anime distribution. All you need is some RSS feeds from some multi-trackers (TokyoTosho, animesuki, baka-updates) and you are on top of every single release that comes out. Just get an RSS feed, utorrent and away you go.

And then you will get some wierd and wonderful codecs let me tell you. Navigating your way through Juu Oh Sei releases will break your heart.

lol

Cheers boss

• Advertisement
Advertisement