Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i move my website to my new domain?

Options
  • 02-05-2006 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I just brought a domian name from hosting 365. (I tried the recommended blacknight but it just kept asking for my full address). I have a basic website uploaded onto my ntl webspace but I haven't got a clue how i link or use my new domain i just purchased. its a .com domain? Any advice or help would be more than welcomed. (I have read some posts here but I am lost!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

send an email to [email]support:at:blacknight.ie[/email] or give them a call tomorrow.
    They will help you out on this.

Also try this link: http://support.blacknight.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Arch-Stanton

You could sort everything with an FTP programme, here are a few free ones;

aceFTP - http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/aceftpfreeware/

CoreFTP - http://www.coreftp.com/

Spend a bit of time learning haw to use them, actually AceFTP is probably the best to start with.

Then use it to download your site from NTL and upload it to your new host.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

has he actually bought hosting??

as from reading his post i get the jizt that he just bought the domain and planed to keep the files on his ntl storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

so is it as easy as that? So I upload as i do onto my ntl webspace (But with different settings?) I thought I used my ntl webspace as my isp and it was linked to my new domain? Sorry, I dont really understand about this. I have no problem uploading to ntl.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well it depends, what exactly you bought from hosting365 did you just buy the domain (for example www.yourname.com) or did you buy the domain with web space (for example www.yourname.com plus say 100mb's web space)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Domain hosting is different from web site hosting, the facts are often to be found on a faq or kb on the vendors site, but it would be a good idea to have an absolute beginners option built into the pages explaining everything to newbies as they shop and buy.

You should be able to set up url forwarding by logging into the control panel for your newly purchased domain, so that people type it into their browser they are redirected to your ntl site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I only brought a domain. (My name.com). Ok, thats what I was wondering about the web space if I needed it or not. I have webspace with ntl where I have a basic website but YES I want to link my new purchased domain name to this site? I thought that this was possible, to save me buying extra web space?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Heya snaps, Drop an e-mail to support@hosting365.ie with the domain and the address of the site on your ntl space and I'll setup the redirect for you :)

Advertisement