Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for Dell Laptop: problem with LAN/network card.

• 02-05-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 4000 (Windows Me) about 5 years ago. I have recently subscribed to Eircom for Broadband ahd received the kit a few days ago. However, I am unable to connect (and am still using narrowband).
    The problem appears to be related to the LAN/Ethernet/Network card. When I go thru' the troubleshooter, I get to the point regarding the LAN leds on the modem. These leds remain off, but when I do the led test, they do work, indicating that it's not a cable and/or modem problem.
    Any ideas? How do I check that I do have a LAN/Ethernet/Network card? (It's been 5 years and I can't recall what I got and did not get). I tried re-installing drivers, but there are so many, and the terms (LAN/Ethernet/Network) seem so interchangable I'm wondering if I should just take it to a repair shop?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I don't think the modem Eircom supply is compatible with Win ME.
    Call them and check.
    Have you tried USB connection btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you have a connector on the back that an Ethernet cable can fit into then you have a network card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Gurgle wrote:
    I don't think the modem Eircom supply is compatible with Win ME.
    Call them and check.
    Have you tried USB connection btw?

If he's connecting it by network/ethernet then it's compatible with anything.

If
    uh-huh!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How are you actually connecting to the modem/router if you are not sure that you have an ethernet connection?

given the age of the laptop I doubt if it has an ethernet socket - anyway they look like a bigger version of a telephone socket.

If you dont have one you have a couple of options - usb/ethernet adaptor

http://www-ie.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=IE%2FLayout&cid=1138744862008&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

they cost bout 30 euros - I have used a different make (sold by the Laptop Shop) and found it worked fine.

or a ethernet pcmcia laptop card:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE03311&productID=78805

or make the most of your laptop's convenience and get a wireless laptop card - if you are with Eircom then you have probably got a wireless router from them. Just one example (theres loads available!)

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1097741

Just found the spec on the Dell site and it looks like the ethernet was an optional extra.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins4000/en/sm_en/specs.htm#1097730

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unfortunately a RJ11 cable will fit between Laptop internal modem socket and an RJ45 Ethernet socket.

It won't break anything, but won't work either.

Gautama wrote:
    Dell Inspiron 4000
    OK, it has a LAN port.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=14&id=180

Is your modem showing a 'DSL' light?
    If not, check your connection to the phone socket and the DSL filter.

Is it showing a connection for 'LAN'?
    If not, check your LAN cable from the laptop to the modem.

If you have both these lights then:

Go to 'Control Panel -> Internet options -> Connections' And select 'Never dial a connection' then go to 'LAN Settings' and select 'Automatically detect settings'.

Then just try www.google.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

doesn't it take a few days for eircom to activate your account for broadband or something?
    that might be the problem you are having

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cross posting:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054925786

OP if you PM me the service tag then I'll check out what the laptop came with, just recently sorted same vintage Lappie that had a fried modem / lan card for about €20 so even if the card is knackered then all hope is not lost. Do you remember if you ever used a modem or lan connection on this? Does the Mini-PCI slot have the wiring in place or is it just the gold connectors (this would mean you having to open the door on underside of laptop, don't do it if your not confident) ;)

@ Stebishop: Was thinking the exact same thing

Gurgle wrote:
    OK, it has a LAN port.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=14&id=180

Is your modem showing a 'DSL' light?
    If not, check your connection to the phone socket and the DSL filter.

Is it showing a connection for 'LAN'?
    If not, check your LAN cable from the laptop to the modem.

If you have both these lights then:

Go to 'Control Panel -> Internet options -> Connections' And select 'Never dial a connection' then go to 'LAN Settings' and select 'Automatically detect settings'.

Then just try www.google.ie

Thats an American review so it may not have one - the spec on the Irish site said that ethernet was an optional extra.

I suppose the easiest way to answer this is to find out if there are two sockets that basically look like telephone sockets with one being slightly bigger/

• Advertisement

I have a working Mini PCI 11Mbps wifi card out of a DELL free to a good home. It so small I'll even post it free!

I upgraded.

dub45 wrote:
    Thats an American review so it may not have one - the spec on the Irish site said that ethernet was an optional extra.

I suppose the easiest way to answer this is to find out if there are two sockets that basically look like telephone sockets with one being slightly bigger/
    Following on from PM from OP with the Service Tag Number

Here is a pic of a mini-pci card (this one is a wireless one but they all look the same, pretty much)

The mini-pci slot itself, not one on a Dell (Its an Asus) but you get the picture... (bangs head off table ;))

Guide to replacing a mini-pci card, its from IBM but procedure is the same.

Given that the original poster does not appear to be too up to speed on these things might an ordinary wireless card not be a better option for him?

Agree with you completely but you're not seeing the PMs ;)

watty wrote:
    I have a working Mini PCI 11Mbps wifi card out of a DELL free to a good home. It so small I'll even post it free!

I upgraded.

I'll take that watty, pm sent.

Agree with you completely but you're not seeing the PMs ;)

Are you sure:) I am also thinking though of others who might be reading the thread with similar situations maybe unlikely but......

Gautama
    Has the Eircom broadband box got an aerial rod (or maybe two)? If it has then the wifi card will work.

You will need to download drivers for Windows ME. Since this is a DELL branded "True Mobile" the DELL support site will have the drivers. The card is out of a Inspiron 8200. So see if you can find that and download drivers for ME and I will send card.

I'll take that watty, pm sent.

How would this work in a laptop such as the above that has no installed antenna? I have the service tag for the above machine thats how I know.

Just curious?

If there is no antenna installed it won't work. Is antenna not standard in the case? I can't see the antenna on mine just the cable and plug.

I'm not sure Gautame can install it.

Gautama:
    There is a door/hatch under laptop about 2" x 3" maybe with one screw. It will be empty. See if it has a 2" long connector and a very minature aerial cable and plug. If not, you can't add the WiFi internal card.

Sorry to dig this one up, but I can confirm another happy boards.ie member has just joined us on the fast lane that is BB. :)

Welcome Gautama

• Advertisement

Sorry to dig this one up, but I can confirm another happy boards.ie member has just joined us on the fast lane that is BB. :)

Welcome Gautama

Well do tell us how s/he connected in the end?

dub45 wrote:
    Well do tell us how s/he connected in the end?

They purchased a new combo card for the laptop from a contact I have in the States and installed it themselves and after a minor driver mix-up they are now on BB via ethernet (which the machine didn't have originally). Nice fuzzy feeling inside now.... oh hold on thats just the beer... :):D

dub45 wrote:
    Given that the original poster does not appear to be too up to speed on these things might an ordinary wireless card not be a better option for him?

If you only knew how funny that statement is, will leave it to OP if they want to reveal why... :p

Advertisement