Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mod - Would appreciate honest opinions!

Options
  • 02-05-2006 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Thought I would share my new project with you all, with the aim to get some opinions and ideas. A few sample pics attached just to tease you.
    The case is a HUGE Dell 4100 server case kindly donated by Capt'n Midnight from our very own Boards.

one.35d.jpg
    two.810.jpg

It will end up as a watercooled rig with two visible resevoirs and triple 120mm rad.

five.01d.jpg
    six.jpg

Initially it will house my existing Skt 754 Abit board and 3000+ cpu with the aim to upgrade this when funds allow.
    The case is now stripped out and a new mainboard tray and backplate created. The board will end up upside down on the opposite side of the case than Dell intended. Not sure why I did this now as it has been a pain to do :D

three.f6e.jpg

Had to cut out the entire original backpanel from the case and make a new one. This is now pretty much done as is the PSU mounting which is at the bottom of the case.

four.857.jpg

I will window both sidepanels and keep the original top panel. Not sure what to do about the front though. I may keep the existing front and just jazz it up, or may make a new one.
    The whole case will be repainted inside and out...not sure what colour though.

Any thoughts from the audience?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looks great;)

But why such a massive case when a large ATX case would have done?

It it because it was a freebie:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

conzymaher wrote:
    But why such a massive case when a large ATX case would have done?

It it because it was a freebie:D

Thats a good question...original plan was to put two PC's in the one case and the option is still there to do it. Guess the fact that it was a freebie had a bearing on the choice too :D

Was going to update this thread with new pics but I'm too lazy :D

So I'll just give you a link to the Project Log.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Excellent work, just read the whole project log thread. Very professional looking, love it.

It's a lot like what I had in mind for my stacker before I became totally broke, and also realised that I don't really like the stacker.

Might have to get my hands on a big ass server case sometime and have a shot at something similar.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Great worklog, great work... Heck u could rent out half of that case.. Its Huge!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Very nice. The internal paint job looks great from the pics. Have subscribed to the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/05/29/Project_Log_update_2/1.html

Ye made it onto the homepage... well done....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Impressive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gg shots

unklerosco wrote:

Holy hell! I didn't see that.

I'm almost tearful here :D

• Advertisement

Just to update you all.

This is now finished (well...pretty much)

Final results here

A couple of pics in case you can't be bothered to click above :D

137.852.jpg

135.8a0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Class, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Very nice, how much does that thing weigh?

krazy_8s wrote:
    Very nice, how much does that thing weigh?

I'm not too sure, but i can't lift it on my own now all the panels are back on.
    Maybe I'm just very weedy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow. Well impressed. Nice job............Boeing might lease the other half:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

great job man its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Nice i like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I was following that on bit-tech. I know absolutely nothing about modding, and I think your sig just caught my eye somewhere.

It looks really impressive, but is the pump loud? Is it worth it to get extra performance out of it if you have to suffer a hmmmmnnnn all the time?

Steveire wrote:
    It looks really impressive, but is the pump loud? Is it worth it to get extra performance out of it if you have to suffer a hmmmmnnnn all the time?

The pump is silent to be honest. I think that the fact that it's immersed isolates any noise.
    Loudest thing in the machine is the Maxtor hard disk.

:)

Blowing my own trumpet perhaps, but just had to share this.
    The project log is also now available in Russian!
    The nice chaps at Modnews.ru have translated the whole lot and this can be seen HERE.

For some reason it seems even cooler in Russian :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Did they credit you?

Yep...both me and Bit-Tech.
    They asked for permission first and let me approve it before they published it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

you must be a god :D

awhir wrote:
    you must be a god :D

You're not the first to say that. Wait....yes you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Very nicely done it reminds me of a mountanmods U2-UFO .Give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it ....keep up the great work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Awesome case and modding! Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Great job . I love the colour scheme, really nice.

I thought i was seeing things though when i saw your username on bit-tech forums.. exact same username i use on a few other forums too..:D . I guess you have been reading a few culture novels too...

Anyways keep up the good work..

Thanks for all the kind comments....makes all the hard work worthwhile.

@Takeshi.....In all the time I've been using that username on various boards you are the only one who has commented upon it's origin. Obviously good taste is rare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

hopeful wrote:
    Thanks for all the kind comments....makes all the hard work worthwhile.

@Takeshi.....In all the time I've been using that username on various boards you are the only one who has commented upon it's origin. Obviously good taste is rare :D

Indeed... :D

Great thread with loads of info and pics over on bit-tech that you have. Just finished reading it, and am :D currently scouring the net for cheap (or free..) Dell 4100 cases..

Been looking into building my own pc with watercooling, and your setup looks the best, i.e. very tasty handiwork!. I have seen so many pc with the radiator/pump/ crammed into to the pc case, or sitting on top of the case with tubes everywhere. They do the job i guess, but they are so messy.. Whereas yours is very neat, and the idea of seperating the rad/pump setup from the mobo and drives, yet keeping it all housed in that Dell 4100 case, is excellent, must be great in keeping the temps down!!..

• Advertisement
Advertisement