Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF economic policy

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

clown bag wrote:
    I... how can you point to historical actual events such as the Soviet Union and say that "communist states" tend to be totalitarian. You have no way of proving that just as I cannot say as fact that this kind of society will work.

You are probably wrong here on both counts.

1. communist societies do exist and do work e.g. A monestary for example. The monks work according to their ability and take what is sufficient for their needs. Sadly in larger societies people tend to be dishonest and greedy and materialistic, properties which monks in general lack.

2. Several communist states in history (if not all) were totalist. the examples in history are evidence of that hiatorical fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

darkman2 wrote:
    You increase corporate tax they will leave, its as simple as that.

Well I dont really think it is as simple as that. True compnaies arent here because they like the Irish or the weather but there are many other reasons they are here besides our low corporation tax.
    darkman2 wrote:
    something that as I said will bring equality in poverty

There is no doubt in my mind that the economy as a whole would suffer under these policies. Absolute poverty would increase but you have to remember relative poverty, the gap between rich and poor, would decrease and this is something very important to lower income families who the "celtic tiger passed by".

darkman2 wrote:
    I believe the tax structure and policies being implemented in this country are right for this country.

Couldnt agree more, I just feel people blow the "potential disaster that would ensue under sf policy" a bit out of proportion. Tbh there a political party and there looking for votes. In reality if they came to power they would soon realise the impracticality of many of their policies. Imo not much would change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

The nearest Anarchists got to setting up their ideal was during the Spanish civil war on the Republican side. However they were infiltrated by the communists and later amalgamated into the communist forces(as were all republican factions.) Therefore it was not capitalists that crushed the anarchist movement.
    Hey did anybody see Seamus Brennan's proposal for means-tested house buyers grant. all this will do is raise the price of a house by the amount of the grant. Only the property owner wins in that situation. Seems this is the type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

The nearest Anarchists got to setting up their ideal was during the Spanish civil war on the Republican side. However they were infiltrated by the communists and later amalgamated into the communist forces(as were all republican factions.) Therefore it was not capitalists that crushed the anarchist movement.
    Hey did anybody see Seamus Brennan's proposal for means-tested house buyers grant. all this will do is raise the price of a house by the amount of the grant. Only the property owner wins in that situation. Seems this is the type of stupid suggestion SF should make. BTw: i don't want to see my tax money I have paid wasted like so/or even to buy someone else a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

[QUOTE=Fionnanc
    Hey did anybody see Seamus Brennan's proposal for means-tested house buyers grant. all this will do is raise the price of a house by the amount of the grant. [/QUOTE]

And then kill you with even more stamp duty. Now thats being "economically illiterate":D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Babybing wrote:
    Well I dont really think it is as simple as that. True compnaies arent here because they like the Irish or the weather but there are many other reasons they are here besides our low corporation tax.

There is no doubt in my mind that the economy as a whole would suffer under these policies. Absolute poverty would increase but you have to remember relative poverty, the gap between rich and poor, would decrease and this is something very important to lower income families who the "celtic tiger passed by".

Well I admire your effort but firstly - corporate tax is the bed rock of the economy. I can tell you now, if it increased tomorrow to 17 per cent 1000s of jobs would be lost within a matter of weeks. Ive absolutely no doubt about that. It is really the only reason these companies are here now. Competitiveness has been lost and we dont have a credible infrastructure.

Secondly ppl who have worked hard and done well out of the economy I admire. I dont begrudge anybody success. I dont believe that this gap can be decreased unfortunatley, this is just the world we live in.

Advertisement