Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom or Esat

• 02-05-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just moved into a new apartment and I need to get hooked up. Normally I would go straight for NTL but my tv point is too far away from my room for NTL to be of any use.

So Im looking at Eircom, Esat are some crowd called perlico.

I would also be looking for minimum 3M down 384K up wired connection. The apartment has heavy concrete walls which rule out wireless. I also want the connection 90% for gaming so I need the connection to be reliable.

Personally I think Esat would be best but I havent been paying too much attention for the last year or so and Im not sure which is still best.

So :) what would you recommend?

I also know this has been asked a million times before so I'll apologise here in advance. I just would like to be sure to save my sanity later on.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL and wireless router? They supply them if asked.

Esat have good prices but the worst billing department. What about Smart or Magnet? Smart are good price and product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

go for ESAT if you want to wait 11 weeks for your modem to arrive, be over charged for every bill, ring customer service 15 times and everytime be told they fixed the problem only for another wrong bill to arrive.
    choose esat if you are prepared to go to a solicitor to get a breach of contract letter written up to get your money back off them after they rob it on you through direct debit. Choose esat if you are willing to close your bank account because it is like a black hole which esat have access to and you will be forced to open up a new account.
    Choose esat if you have the time to spare making phone calls, seeking legal advice and visiting their HQ trying to talk to the organ grinder.
    Do a quick search here on boards and just have a look at how many people esat have ripped off and how ****e their customer service and billing department is.
    Choose esat if you like bouncing your head off a brick wall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote:
    NTL and wireless router? They supply them if asked.

Esat have good prices but the worst billing department. What about Smart or Magnet? Smart are good price and product.

Unfortunately that is not the case and it is more of a lottery than simply asking for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

clown bag wrote:
    go for ESAT if you want to wait 11 weeks for your modem to arrive, be over charged for every bill, ring customer service 15 times and everytime be told they fixed the problem only for another wrong bill to arrive.
    choose esat if you are prepared to go to a solicitor to get a breach of contract letter written up to get your money back off them after they rob it on you through direct debit. Choose esat if you are willing to close your bank account because it is like a black hole which esat have access to and you will be forced to open up a new account.
    Choose esat if you have the time to spare making phone calls, seeking legal advice and visiting their HQ trying to talk to the organ grinder.
    Do a quick search here on boards and just have a look at how many people esat have ripped off and how ****e their customer service and billing department is.
    Choose esat if you like bouncing your head off a brick wall.

What he said.....

Nh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

whats wrong with putting the modem beside your tv point and running an ethernet cable from there to your room? if you can get ntl, get ntl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

I agree with stebishop.
    A friend at work got NTL and they ran a cable from the tv point up to the attic where his computer is (all tacked in nicely against the wall, about 30 feet of cable) ... for FREE !
    NTL are definitely best (of a very bad lot) and they are even offering a 6mb download option now.
    They were my first choice but unfortunately didn't do my area.

What makes them even better is that some customers have got away with lower bills or unmonitored download usage (ie. no capping) as NTL have some poor billing systems in place. No guarantee it will work for you... but it might!

clown bag hit the nail on the head with the description of Esat BT... which I am with now. Great connection but god almighty, is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

On a side-note, static m.e, where did you manage to find an apartment with heavy concrete inner walls? I'm guessing you're not in dublin because the word 'concrete' doesn't seem to exist in the dublin dictionary. It's impossible to play games at night in dublin without either headphones or legal action.
    PM me if you want to keep this out of the thread.

dub45 wrote:
    Unfortunately that is not the case and it is more of a lottery than simply asking for one.

My understanding is that if your computer is not near your TV point they will install a new free point or give a wireless router if that is not an option. I could be mistaken.

paulm17781 wrote:
    My understanding is that if your computer is not near your TV point they will install a new free point or give a wireless router if that is not an option. I could be mistaken.

You are.

dub45 wrote:
    You are.

Excellent summary, well put! :rolleyes: So what do they do if your computer is too far away and they can't install a new point.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote:
    Excellent summary, well put! :rolleyes: So what do they do if your computer is too far away and they can't install a new point.

As I pointed out above it is a lottery and there have been a number of posts on this issue which your eagle eye obviously missed - squinting upwards too often and too long is obviously bad for you.

Their official postion up to recently anyways on the phone was that they did not supply them. I was told this when I enquired. And their website makes absolutely no mention of the provision of a wireless router - http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

I know two people who requested them and did not get them in spite of the fact that in one case there were three laptops in the house all of which might be considered far away from the point as they were naturally used throughout the house - the installer stated he had none left and suggested ringing up whereupon the answer received was 'we dont supply them'. So the people concerned had to fork out for a wireless router and they did not have any comeback with NTL.

So anyone signing up for NTL should not take for granted that they will get a wireless router - its a bit of a lottery.

dub45 wrote:
    As I pointed out above it is a lottery and there have been a number of posts on this issue which your eagle eye obviously missed - squinting upwards too often and too long is obviously bad for you.

No need to be so ignorant but if it's in your nature. :rolleyes:

See, all you have to do is explain things. Answers like "you are" aren't helpful. A post with information answers all questions. I was forgetting about your omnipotence and having no need to ask questions. Sadly we can't all always be right. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ok thanks for all your help, Ive decided to try and get NTL to come in and have a look. I dont like the sound of Esat at all.

dkc: yeah the apartment I think was an old office block or something, the whole layout is quite strange, but the walls are 10-12 inchs thick of solid concrete. Its great really I cant hear a thing at night unless the feckers upstairs throw a party or something, even then I not too bothered. Ill Pm you the address

paulm17781 wrote:
    No need to be so ignorant but if it's in your nature. :rolleyes:

See, all you have to do is explain things. Answers like "you are" aren't helpful. A post with information answers all questions. I was forgetting about your omnipotence and having no need to ask questions.
    Sadly we can't all always be right. :rolleyes:

Great to see that you have realised that at last:)

dub45 wrote:
    Great to see that you have realised that at last:)

As I said last time you decided to argue with me, even when you contradict yourself you will always be right. Even though I said that in another post two months ago. You are still right that I only just realised it. I sometimes wish I had the ability be always be correct but I have a curse where I can admit when I am wrong. :rolleyes:

paulm17781 wrote:
    As I said last time you decided to argue with me, even when you contradict yourself you will always be right. Even though I said that in another post two months ago. You are still right that I only just realised it. I sometimes wish I had the ability be always be correct but I have a curse where I can admit when I am wrong. :rolleyes:

Some curses are good:)

Advertisement