Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Handcuffs - Nightmare!

Options
  • 02-05-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Bear with me:

Got crashed into 6 weeks ago and everything sorted through Hibernian's recommended local bodyshop. All very professional, took a while to get some parts but very good job, g'teed for 3 years etc, the person who crashed into me admitted liability etc.

Anyway, my renewel is in three weeks so I phoned to get the quote to be told that as they (Hib) have authorised the repair they have cancelled my no claims pending them being refunded by Quinn for the damage to my car. They have said they will refund me the difference when this happens (reinstate my NCB), but no-one can say when this will be. Also, this effectively handcuffs me to Hib as I can't progress with quotes from other companies as Hib won't issue me with a no claims cert, and have stated they won't compensate me (refund any difference) if I go elsewhere then get my NCB back. The muppet I spoke to last week suggested that I should have claimed directly off Quinn (myself!) and really couldn't answer me when I asked him what the point of me paying for their 'service' was.

I am pretty sure this breaks some consumer rule as I cannot shop around and have to renew with Hibernian in the face of a large price rise elsewhere. This also means I can't change car until all this is sorted (I have a buyer for mine lined up and want the 2 seater conv before summer!). Also, despite pushing, they still haven't requested the invoice from the garage that did my repairs despite my asking why 3 times...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This is pretty normal. The other insurance companies won't want to talk to you with an unsettled claim anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

It sounds like you are being wronged. The best way I find to deal with a big company( I work for one ) is, set a time every day say 12 and ring them, every day it gets embarrasing sometimes but it works. every day every day.

Most workers at these companies don't care about your problem they have call quotas to reach. The ring everyday strategy works beacause, A) you will sometimes get the same person a lot, and your hurting his quota, will pass you higher, B) get someone who actually cares, will pass your case higher, or eventually a manager will pick your call as call people swamped and be appaled at your case.

I have used this tactic many time over the years it never fails. It may take some time, but call everyday. I know, persistant nuisance customers get looked after.

Working for a big company I know the tactic is wear you down and you will give up and go away.

I just beat vodafone with this tactic took 3 months to get the service I should have got without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Gatster wrote:
    Bear with me:

...The muppet I spoke to last week suggested that I should have claimed directly off Quinn (myself!) and really couldn't answer me when I asked him what the point of me paying for their 'service' was.

...Also, despite pushing, they still haven't requested the invoice from the garage that did my repairs despite my asking why 3 times...

Never having made a claim, touch wood, I don't know if you ring the usual line or a dedicated claims line, but it is good general info for all insurance companies: NEVER talk to the headset monkeys in a call centre (ie, 1890 ... or whatever). Ring an actual local branch if at all possible, they are generally better informed and more professional. Talk to the most senior person you can, rather than telling a headset monkey where to stick their "service".

Blatant get out clause in anticipation of angry call centre workers: obviously there are normal people working in call centres too, but come, on admit it - there's plenty with no respect for the customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Make noise - demand to talk to supervisors, managers, etc. Contact Insurance Ombudsman, Consumer Affairs, etc. You don't need to take that crap lying down - even though its gonna drive you to distraction before you get anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Make noise - demand to talk to supervisors, managers, etc. Contact Insurance Ombudsman, Consumer Affairs, etc. You don't need to take that crap lying down - even though its gonna drive you to distraction before you get anywhere.

trust me all someone getting on the phone demanding things saying they're going to do x, y and z does is get the person on the other end to immediatly switch off as your immediatly labelled a "screamer", you'd be suprised how the nice, patient, respectful approach to the person works better, repeat your case over and over again and don't let them off the phone until you get some kind of promise out of them then ring back later to get that promise followed up. but before stating your case make sure you get their name and use that as a point of reference when you call back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've been very calm so far, and I know what I want.
    This is pretty normal
    I don't see how this is particulary normal, I think it's restricting my choice. It's unlucky (the timing), but they seem very willing to let it drag out meaning I effectively have to re-insure with them to get anything back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I mean its pretty normal within the insane world of the insurance industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well when I had the accident last year (like you the other party wa at fault and accepted liability), I had to do all the chasing of her insurance co myself - which suprised me.

But rather than waste your time with whoever you've been dealing with so far, demand to speak to his/her Team Lead/Manager. Most of the time the level 1 agents you get on the phone don't have the authority to make exceptions or do anything beyond the "script" they're given so you should always escalate if you're not getting anywhere. One thing though is to stay polite however throughout.

I would disagree with the ring every day bit. Why should you waste your time and money calling them to get them to do their jobs? Just call them and escalate immediately and/or get THEM to call YOU back.

Worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Let me get this right... you claimed off your OWN insurance, or theres just 'an unsettled claim'?

If its the latter, its not a problem. This happened me before, I was shocked when I got my renewal quote, turns out that they werent takign my MCB into consideration because I was involved in a crash. But there was no claim on my insurance, the other person accepted liability and paid in full. All you need to tell them is that the case is closed and that there will be no claim made on your part. I only said it verbally to them (Hib) and it was all sorted within a matter of minutes

There's an unsettled claim, Hib set wheels in motion that has essentially meant I am claim off them, they claim off Quinn, I get my NCB back, but only when Quinn have paid up. I can't change car as Hib won't give me a quote for renewel with my NCB, only with no NCB, so I have no idea if their quotes are realistic. Just got off the first of what will probably be many conversations with the Customer Service, who just tried to pass the buck to the claims dept...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

miju wrote:
    trust me all someone getting on the phone demanding things saying they're going to do x, y and z does is get the person on the other end to immediatly switch off as your immediatly labelled a "screamer", you'd be suprised how the nice, patient, respectful approach to the person works better, repeat your case over and over again and don't let them off the phone until you get some kind of promise out of them then ring back later to get that promise followed up. but before stating your case make sure you get their name and use that as a point of reference when you call back

To be fair, you don't have to shout and scream to get what you want. You do need to be assertive (but polite) and you do need to demand to speak to managers, etc. - because the person on the other end of the phone won't offer. Stating recognition of the fact that "I know its not your fault, you're only doing your job but I'm really stuck here" may help.

But don't just take it lying down.

Advancement! After some ratty cow earlier today who claimed to be from customer services but actually offered nothing fitting the phrase, the manager of the claims departement called me to discuss my (by now official) complaint.

They have paid the garage, and already have admission of liability from Quinn and the contact name of the guy at Quinn who is dealing with it. As soon as they receive acknowledgement they will be meeting the costs (even verbally!) they will reinstate my NCB (which should be within four weeks), leaving me to go car shopping again.

B@stards nonetheless, but it pays to talk (calmly and sternly).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I still don't understand how your policy paid for the damage done to your car in the first place, since you werent liable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hibs simply did it so they could shaft the OP's NCB. Just in case Quinn won't pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

This has happened to my mother with a far more serious accident a few years back.

The insurance companies reason : "You were involved in an accident".

Your stuck with them for two years i'm afriad. I would get it in writing and speak to your local TD about it. Tbh unless there is a law put in place were all screwed on that one.

Unbeknownst to me, I 'chose' to use Hibs 'Express Service'. The car was difficult to drive after the accident as the rear valence was rubbing against the back wheels. Subsequently when I was on the phone to them immediately after they told me to go to their nearest recommended repairer. Because I did this and it was assessed in the hour after the crash this constitutes their 'Express Service', where Hib just pay and seek the cash of Quinn. It is a scam if you're in my position, and I can't help but think they knew I'd be tied to them for renewel.

Quinn have already admitted liability on behalf of their client and have already agreed to cover my car rental costs & refund my excess, so I don't see how they won't pay out. I don't see how I'm stuck with Hib for two years - my renewel is 4 weeks today, so if it's not sorted by then I will have to stick with them for the following year, but after that I can go elsewhere.

In fairness, they have been the cheapest and best insurance company I've dealt with in Ireland, but they are still a bunch of (excuse my French) c@nts

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get a solicitor write to Quinn and demand payment.

Tell them you intend possibly changing Insurer and your NCB is being withdrawn pending thier settlement. Advise them of the possible loss. Hold them responsible.

Give them 5 days and threaten proceedings. Demand costs. Follow up if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was rear ended last year (almost certain it was may bank holiday weekend) by a driver insured with hibernian, I was insured with quinn. I rang quinn to inform them of this and they said I should persue the claim directly with hibernian and they would get back to me... (still haven't). The other driver rang hibernian on the tuesday morning, informed them what happened, I got a call 10 minutes later, arranged to drop my car into the hibernian approved repair centre a short distance down the road and everything was sorted in a few days. I was well impressed with the hibernian service, the only fault I had was that I was given a zafira as a hire car and felt like a tool given that I don't think I had a single passenger in it all week.

Anyway, come renewal time, when asked about crashes etc... I told the various insurers/brokers I'd had one, and it was settled 100% against the other driver, and there was no problem.

Still waiting for quinn to get back to me to get more details of the accident!

All sorted, got my excess cheque in the post yesterday and they are 'restoring' my NCB. I didn't really do much after my last post, just a phone call a week ago to give the number of the guy at Quinn (which they already had), then a follow up call on Tuesday. Was going to phone again today but don't need to now, hurray :D

Advertisement