Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gah! Bloody Hot ATI Cards

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

He He:D

Is it ok now?

I think you should RMA it incase you borked it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Now let the overclocking begin :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No problem, glad I could help.

I couldn't find the thread that mentioned it on OcUK, but I think it was another Sapphire x1900, so it could very well be a problem at Saphire's end with them not getting connected properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At lest you know you can hit 120c with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

krazy_8s wrote:
    At lest you know you can hit 120c with it.

BUT FOR HOW LONG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

awhir wrote:
    BUT FOR HOW LONG
    Well i read somewhere in some elctronics journal that for every 10C increase you shorten the life of silicon based microelectronics by half... not that Wizz will keep it long anyways... !!

10degrees increase over what? The recommended safe temperature or room temperature or 0?

If its roof temperature then theoreticaly, Wizzard has reduced the life of his card to 5 days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ATI still haven't gotten back to me after that canned email - nor have Sapphire. Imagine if my place burned down due to this card overheating and catching fire (no dust in my case thank God :))
    I wonder how quick their lawyers would be to respond then??

conzymaher wrote:
    10degrees increase over what? The recommended safe temperature or room temperature or 0?

If its roof temperature then theoreticaly, Wizzard has reduced the life of his card to 5 days:D
    Soirry Con, should have added this
    Chip Life = Normal Life in Hours / [((273 + High Temp) / (273 + Normal Temp)) ^ C] , where C I believe is a constant determined by the exact nature of the chip. A graphics card or a mobile chip will have a different 'C' than a normal desktop chip

Found a graph and all!;)

• Advertisement

Thanks, It wouldnt last too long at 120 degrees:eek:

1000th post W00T!!!

had to be said:D

conzymaher wrote:

1000th post W00T!!!

No it wouldn't. Doing some simple math will tell you that. I estimate aprox 2000hrs at this late hour of guestimating. Also one has to be aware of thermal cycling which occurs when processors undergoe temp changes from turning on-off and other temp causes. Apparently it really cuts down life expectancy of a chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

conzymaher wrote:

1000th post W00T!!!

Newb :rolleyes:

Simona1986 wrote:
    Newb :rolleyes:

He He:D

Advertisement