Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL keeps dropping

• 02-05-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm with Eircom and my DSL keeps dropping at random times. Initially i rang eircom (about 4 times) and they realised it was due to the fact that i didnt have a splitter connected to the bb line. I got one since and it worked normally for about 2 days and then went again. It is back to dropping at least 3 times a day again, each time for at least an hour. im at my wits end as to what to do. i may have to switch isp as a result which is a huge hassle.
    If anyone has any solutions or ideas i would be very appreciative.
    Thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Are you using an extension lead ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

this could be down to the quality of your line - has it only been happening since the speeds were upgraded? what router are you using? has it got the latest firmware.

There is absolutely no point in changing isp yet as it may be a line issue which will affect you no matter who are you with - unless you go cable or wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

hmmm..im not using an extension lead....but come to think of it, i think it has only been happening since the lines were upgraded. i'll check to see if i have the latest firmware but i'm pretty sure i have. i use a Netopia cayman 3300 modem.
    thanks lads...keep it comin'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

My 3 meg eircom broadband line has dropped to 216kbs! Only today I noticed, In english, I used to be able to get over 300kb/s on downloads, now I'm only getting 30kb/s, it makes a huge difference. I looked in my routers homepage, tells me upstream is 3000+kb which is 3 meg, but I'm not getting that. Tried router reset, IP reset, plug out from wall and re plug in, nothing. Also got a m8 on Eircom to test his line, well watta ya know, same problem, speeds are -200 slower. Its been like that all afternoon, also his m8 is having ping problems in games on eircom, cant be coincidence, theres something up, and it better be their upgrading our broadband coz this thing is costing 50 yoyos a month :mad:
    Please anybody else on Eircom post your results tonite to confirm...

Regards

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

looks to be major problem today, people on BT (myself included) are having the same problem, have a look at the other posts for details

• Advertisement

looks to be major problem today, people on BT (myself included) are having the same problem, have a look at the other posts for details
    Thanks m8, Thought that post was BT only lol sorry ;) Yep someone has seriously messed something up lol

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Ah, glad its not just me then lol :)

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep my speeds on UTV are ****e tonight as well, plus had to reboot the router earlier on to get connected again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

dub45 wrote:
    this could be down to the quality of your line - has it only been happening since the speeds were upgraded? what router are you using? has it got the latest firmware.

There is absolutely no point in changing isp yet as it may be a line issue which will affect you no matter who are you with - unless you go cable or wireless.

I am having the same problem as the original poster....over the last few days/weeks my connection keeps dropping if I can connect at all. I am on utvinterrnet, I was just about to cancel my account when I read this. Have there been some changes to the lines lately or something? my broadband had been working fine for months and just recently it's all gone to crap.

I tried using friends router since I thought it might be a HW problem but the other router had similar problems.

Utvinternet tech support is a joke by the way, they reset my password as a solution to my problem!! haven't been able to get through to them in a week now.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any line changes that may be the cause of this problem I'd love to hear more details.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well this could explain the crap pings I had last night playing DOD:Source, normally get pings 30-50 to the UK, was hitting 150 last night. Trust Eircon to mess my line up eventhough I am not a customer of theirs anymore !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm on Eircom wireless and it can be a bit patchy sometimes and definitely drops randomly.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

yemy bb was ****ed up yesterday. Internet was extrmemly slow, while i had a ping of 700 in counter strike. fuk it.
    anyway to get back to the topic of this post :D , anyone any ideas why DSL randomly drops? could it be to do with eircom phonewatch?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sconsey wrote:
    I am having the same problem as the original poster....over the last few days/weeks my connection keeps dropping if I can connect at all. I am on utvinterrnet, I was just about to cancel my account when I read this. Have there been some changes to the lines lately or something? my broadband had been working fine for months and just recently it's all gone to crap.

I tried using friends router since I thought it might be a HW problem but the other router had similar problems.

Utvinternet tech support is a joke by the way, they reset my password as a solution to my problem!! haven't been able to get through to them in a week now.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any line changes that may be the cause of this problem I'd love to hear more details.

Cheers

Yes speeds were upped a couple of months ago and the increase puts extra pressure on lines - if you line is a bit iffy this can result in you being worse off than you were before particularly with the line dropping frequently - your line stats are usually available somewhere in your router pages - varies from router to router - there are some posts here in various threads on what to look for. however if you google for something like dsl line quality you will get lots of reading material. Really UTV should and the other isps should be only too well aware of this problem and be able to run a line test for you to show what speed your line is best capable of.

Have a look at this link: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

My 3 meg connection is still only maxing out at 2 meg, i'm paying 50 yoyos a month for this so this service is sh!te, Eircom better be upgrading us :)

Nick

Advertisement