Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free/Coeliac meals

• 02-05-2006 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can give me a pointer or two when it comes to suitable eateries in Dublin for dining with the better half. I know that if we're in her home country she can see on every menu in every restaurant which meals are Gluten Free/Dairy Free etc. More importantly, she can rely on the staff observing some very strict rules regarding seperation of ingredients, utensils etc during preparation and cooking - Particularly important when observing a 100% Gluten Free diet.

The problem is, here in Dublin, I don't have the confidence in the staff to respond to her dietary needs competently. A simple statement from the waitress/waiter doesn't suffice I'm afraid - As much as a few crumbs or a gram of flour in the mix can result in a ruined night out (very badly upset stomach etc. withing a couple of hours) followed by a couple of days illness and ultimately some very real health concerns due to the nature of the disease she suffers from. I guess you'll all understand the concern I have about bringing the little lady to just any eatery without a firm recommendation from someone who's experienced with the condition and prevailing needs. A couple of bad experiences to date have left us on rocky ground when it comes to eating out in Ireland.

I'm well up to preparing meals at home for a special someone who needs a completely gluten free diet as a result of coeliac disease, particularly with some of the substitutes available now through health food stores and the like. The problem is that although I'm happy to put in the work to make sure she can safely enjoy her lunch/dinner etc., it takes time and sometimes that's just a drag for both of us when here in Dublin - We'd rather be enjoying something other than shopping for ingredients and preparing each meal at home.

So, there's the background to the request. Can anyone recommend, preferably from personal experience, good restaurants to visit? I'm specifically looking for places that will serve Gluten Free meat/fish dishes as neither of us are particularly interested in purely vegetarian meals!

Thanks,

Gil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

My advice would be to call up the restaurant before booking to ensure that the staff are aware of your needs, and to discuss meal options available. Most restaurants will be more than willing to accomodate you, I'd say. Good Luck!

Advertisement