Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Question

Options
  • 03-05-2006 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum i cant seem to find a forum for swimming so i guess this is similar enough...anyway ive been taking swimming lessons,have had 4 so far and so far so good but feel im still a fair way off,was just wondering how long it took people to learn to swim assuming of course you didn't learn until you were older?Would love to go scuba diving as well when ive learned to swim properly :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

took me about 2 months to get to the ability to swim a length without killing myself, but I stop lessons after a month once i got the technique! now i can swim from A to B, Im in the Irish Coast Guard as a Coxswain and Im a CMAS diver so stick at it prob with the right teacher you will be flying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Just back from the pool,went really well tonite,i can now swim about 20ft or so so im getting there,the guy who is teaching us said he was impressed with me tonite but to keep practising,ill be back down the pol on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 scuba chick

well im a qualified swimming teacher, and i can tell you from experience that everyone learns at different pases, so dont compare yourself to anyone else in the lessons.but if your doing so well after only 4 lessons, i'd say you'll be flying in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

tbh all you need to be able to swim to start scuba diving is a couple of lengths of a 25mtr pool.

when i started scuba diving in 97 (padi) there was a guy doing the open water with me who couldnt swim, he managed to swim the prerequiste 6 lengths of the pool kinda on his back doing a sort of reverse breaststroke while spluttering water (took him ages) and they still let him continue with his open water course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Don't you have to be able to swim 200m without a rest to pass your open water with PADI now? At least I was made do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Evil Phil wrote:
    Don't you have to be able to swim 200m without a rest to pass your open water with PADI now? At least I was made do that.

or 300m if you want to use fins in open water

Advertisement