Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations For Idiot-Proof Accounting Software Package?

Options
  • 03-05-2006 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello:

Can anyone recommend a good accounting-software package for a business along the following lines:

* New sole-trader business.
    * 2 employees.
    * Should be idiot-proof; Should be as automatic as possible.
    * Should be set-up for the Irish tax system (maybe with updates to take account of changes?)
    * Preferably less than €300 purchase price.

Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I've used Sage in the past, and find it easy to use (then again I'm a bean counter), the only tax rates you would need to worry about is setting up the VAT rates, 2min job. Accounting and payroll would be different packages. I'm not sure what the current names are, the one I used was Sage Line50, and there was a cut down version for home businesses which my wife uses for her business and doesn't have any problems.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 businessAdvisor

Hi,

Sage is definetly the palce to start as they have bought up most packages that were available for your size business however i am a bit ABS Anyone but Sage and would recommend the big red book, great package, well supported and i think from memeory well within your budget (also believe it is an irish company) contact IIS in Dun laoghaire for more details...

or one of ther dealers

ps think you would get ther payrole package as well for your budget

also if your looking for a pc datadirect do good deals on PC ask for chris

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Quickbooks: powerful,l easy to use and the help\manual included with it is excellent.

I literally tore my hair out trying accounting packages over the years, everything from TAS, MYOB, Take 5, Turbocash, GNUCash.

They all drove me nuts at one stage or another. Basically, I found you can get what you need done quickly and easily with quickbooks. The inlcuded "help" with the other programmes pales in comparison. Of all the packages, quickbooks is definately the most idiot-proof one.

You may also consider www.teamwork.ie, can work out expensive, but they do your returns for you too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 businessAdvisor

I agree quick books is a great product and cheap to could not think of the name of the package at the time pof first post

it simple to install and set up and can be bough in most PC stores.

http://www.quickbooksheaven.co.uk/

is the cheapest place I found for quickbooks, I picked mine up on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Fantastic; thanks everyone.

A quick look at the Big Red Book brought back dim memories of freaking out in accounting class in the Leaving Cert. I don't think I'm willing to face those memories again. :D

Sage: I dunno. I have to look at it closer.

I also just ordered a trial copy of Quickbooks. It lokks simple enough and, for good measure, I downloaded a trial version of PayBack, too.

I guess I have some experimenting to do.

Thanks again for the tips...

Tommy.

cool, be sure to post back your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I used to work for IIS - and i would reccomend Big Red Book - its very simple - dont be put off by the screens - and the support is v. good ;) The whole point of the software is to be as easy to use as possible.

The payroll is simple too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

TommyK wrote:
    I also just ordered a trial copy of Quickbooks.
    I don't see any downloadable trial, only one that loads online via Java/Citrix. Can you tell me where you found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I don't see any downloadable trial, only one that loads online via Java/Citrix. Can you tell me where you found it?

Sure... it's not a download, though.

I ordered an evaluation copy from Axonware.ie

Haven't got it yet though. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement