Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-American

Options
  • 03-05-2006 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

I am a 23 year old Irish man and find the vast majority of my friend's are severly anti-american.
    Why is this?
    When I question their beliefs I get broad statements like "the war in Iraq is a disaster" and "Bush is a fool".
    When I look for specifis on why its a disaster I get more broad statements.
    My point is the vast majority of the public is ignorant and does not get both sides of the story.
    Just watch the bbc's newsnight and is clear its anti-bush.
    For the other side watch Fox News, show's like The O' Reilly Factor and Hannity & Colmes just for a more balanced view on the war and make up your own mind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

TROLLLLLLLLLLLL. Got a good chuckle outta that, did you?

People dislike American policy, not America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

"thats because reality has a well known liberal bias" :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054925509

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am a 23 year old Irish man and find the vast majority of my friend's are severly anti-american.
    Why is this?
    When I question their beliefs I get broad statements like "the war in Iraq is a disaster" and "Bush is a fool".
    When I look for specifis on why its a disaster I get more broad statements.
    My point is the vast majority of the public is ignorant and does not get both sides of the story.
    Just watch the bbc's newsnight and is clear its anti-bush.
    For the other side watch Fox News, show's like The O' Reilly Factor and Hannity & Colmes just for a more balanced view on the war and make up your own mind.
    People assume that if you have a half a brain then you will know.
    How and ever, there are people just going with the crowd against bush because they don't know anything. At least these idiots are on the correct side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks for the specifics DadaKopf.
    Try at least watching Fox News some time and you'll see how dumb liberals are, George Clooney,Alec Baldwin etc.
    Read Ann Coulter's book if you can bring yourself to do it.
    If you are constantly fed one side you will believe it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try at least watching Fox News some time and you'll see how dumb liberals are, George Clooney,Alec Baldwin etc.
    Fox is the worst news show ever. I laugh out loud at some of the trite tripe they come out with.
    You call bbc bias and then quote fox...lovely.

• Advertisement

I said get the other side i.e fox(right bias).
    Have you ever watched fox?
    Do you share the opinions of Baldwin and Clooney?

"Fox is the worst news show ever. I laugh out loud at some of the trite tripe they come out with."

Give me an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Fox is the worst news show ever. I laugh out loud at some of the trite tripe they come out with.
    You call bbc bias and then quote fox...lovely.

Currently away from home in the States. I would have to agree with Tar regarding Fox News, the O'Reilly Factor, or the dominant Hannity vs. the weaker Colmes. Fox has a reputation in the States as being ultra-conservative and to the far right. They are anything but the "Fair and balanced news" slogan they use. They make the BBC look like a bunch of wild-eyed liberals, in comparison. No one that I know of in the university community where I temporarily live would give Fox the time of day.

Give us some examples Banphrionsa.
    People on the other side say the same of CNN,CBS etc.
    No use without examples.
    Would you say the Dan Rather episode was proof of CBS's bias.

"Fox is the worst news show ever. I laugh out loud at some of the trite tripe they come out with."

Give me an example.

OK, I can give you one off the top of my head. Bill O'Reilly has attempted to portray himself as a man of the people, coming from humble beginnings. Do you know what university he graduated from? Harvard. Do you know how expensive it is to go to Harvard? Tuition for a four year programme exceeds $100,000 USD, and this does not include fees, books, and living expenses. Well, he did not go on one of the very few poor-folk scholarships (being a white, male). He came from big money, and he represents big money interests, although he attempts to candy coat this on Fox (and is frequently very defensive about it). We sometimes watch it just for laughs, because of the extraordinary bias evident in the programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Was actually thinking about starting a propper thread about what it means to be anti-American or un-American but I feel you have ruined my idea now with your silly reference to fox news.

I don't consider myself anti-American but I do disagree with American government policy. Does this mean I'm anti-American people?
    I feel the term "un-American" is a contradiction in terms. How can a nation which supposedly has freedom of speech and freedom for individual choice call anything un-American.

I strongly disagree with the government of America in a wide range of issues from economic policy / environmental issues / human rights / war and so on, the list is endless. I consider myself a good world citizen rather than anti American. I imagine alot of ordinary Americans would agree with my views, does that make them un-American Americans.

Maybe there would be less anti American feeling in the world if everyone on the planet got a vote in the American presidency. The American president affects every country in the world as America interferes in the domestic life of every world citizen through its actions. It’s not fair that someone I don't have a vote for/against can influence political/economic events in other countries in which he was not elected.
    The American government has a direct responsibility for environmental issues and nuclear issues and its actions can have a positive or negative impact on the whole world depending on what lead it gives to other countries.

I think I have a right to criticise American governments without being called anti-American. You could call me anti-American if I had an irrational hatred for ordinary American citizens but not for criticising their government, especially if that government is not representing the will of the American people.
    Bush has 34% approval ratings so I'm 66% pro American.

To the op.
    Fox news, was this an attempt to take the piss. Surely you’re not serious. American media coverage, especially fox is the most biased and unfair reporting in the world.

Thanks for the reply.
    That's not proof of Fox's right wing bias though is it.
    That sound's like one of the e-mails he reads out at the end of the show attacking him out of context.
    My example was better would you agree(Dan Rather)
    In fact nearly all mainstream media in America is far-left i.e New York Times, L.A Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, CBS, ABC, and NBC.
    Would you agree?

"Fox news, was this an attempt to take the piss. Surely you’re not serious. American media coverage, especially fox is the most biased and unfair reporting in the world."

I keep hearing this but I have yet to get an example. Typical Liberal,big mouth with no facts.
    Would you agree most media in America and Europe is far-left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Depends on your definition of far left.
    If you describe far left as anything slightly left of conservative far right then I suppose you could call it far left, but in reality no.
    I wouldn’t even consider European media to be left, never mind far left.
    Plenty of right and far right media sources in Europe, again it depends on your definition of left and right. I don't consider anything in America to be left wing. You have at best centre right going to extreme right.

Thanks for the reply.
    That sound's like one of the e-mails he reads out at the end of the show attacking him out of context.
    In fact nearly all mainstream media in America is far-left i.e New York Times, L.A Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, CBS, ABC, and NBC.
    Would you agree?

Let's just take one... The Washington Post?

Was it the Washington Post (before my time), but didn't they break the news on the breakins, called Watergate? Which ended up in the impeachment (resignation) of conservative Republican President Nixon? The conservative media has smeared the Washington Post since, calling them liberal.

But didn't the Washington Post also give full coverage about the more recent liberal Democrat (former) President Bill Clinton regarding potential curruption in Whitewater, as well as the sex scandal about ole Bill having fun with a college intern in the Oval Office?

Looks like they covered both sides of the issues, and are unfairly being labeled liberal or biased?

Thanks zuutroy.
    I agree that Fox is on the right but there's a difference between O' Reilly saying "the U.S. should bomb the Afghan infrastructure to rubble-- the airport, the power plants, their water facilities, and the roads." and Dan Rather's use of forged documents to try and discredit the president right before and election.

Check out http://www.mediaresearch.org/projects/rather20th/welcome.asp

"Fox news, was this an attempt to take the piss. Surely you’re not serious. American media coverage, especially fox is the most biased and unfair reporting in the world."

I keep hearing this but I have yet to get an example. Typical Liberal,big mouth with no facts.
    Would you agree most media in America and Europe is far-left?

Even the fact that the word “liberal" has become dirty and un-American is a testament to the right wing bias in the media. What you call far left is in fact anything which is not far right. It is not left wing at all, just not extreme conservative views.

Thanks for the reply Banphrionsa.
    Look i'm no Bush fanatic but i'm willing to listen to both sides of the argument not just one.

Thanks for the reply.
    Would you agree?

OK, let's take another one that you have labeled liberal (or far left)... ABC?

You have obviously heard of anchorman Charlie Gibson of ABC? Probably one of their biggest and longest lasting names? He co-hosts Good Morning America and often anchors Prime Time? He interviewed President Bush a few months ago. Would you call Charlie a liberal or a conservative?

Besides maybe seeing his show, have you ever personally met Charlie in person? Well, it so happens I have met Charlie at ABC in NY on several occasions and he knows me by first name (because of my work), and he is an ultra-conservative, and lives in very rich, conservative Long Island.

Furthermore, do you know who owns ABC? Disney. Do you have any idea how conservative Disney is? If you know a stock broker, ask them, don't believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I was prepared to give you some slack, the is, until you mentioned Ann Coulter.

If you are looking for the personification of stupidity, then Ann Coulter is a safe bet.

What was it she said about hurricanes again, oh yeah, hurricanes are named after women and gay men because they fly off the handle alot. .

I recomend you add some Randi Rhodes to your diet of political discussion.

Give me an example.

http://www.mediamatters.org
    http://www.crooksandliars.com

you should find literally hundreds of examples there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The perception I have is that 'anti-americanism' has really only taken root in the last six years or so, primarily in the last five. I have concluded that the problem is people who either cannot, or will not distinguish between the country, and the current administration. Or worse, the current administration, and its policies on Iraq, which is pretty much the root of all controversy.

As for Fox News, it's definitely to the right of center. The other organisations are generally left of center. I don't think there is an unbiased network news station here, that's why I get my news from the Interweb.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The perception I have is that 'anti-americanism' has really only taken root in the last six years or so, primarily in the last five. I have concluded that the problem is people who either cannot, or will not distinguish between the country, and the current administration. Or worse, the current administration, and its policies on Iraq, which is pretty much the root of all controversy.

Anti-Americanism is a term used by neocons to allow them to rebut anything they do which is .. well anti-American.

"I don't like the fact Bush started an invasion based on false facts"
    "So you hate America?"

And I know there is a huge difference between your average American and Bushes policies (well 50% anyway), but here is the kicker. Yous voted him in. Not us. You can't say "Weelll sure hes our president, sure hes ****ing up the world for us and yous, but hey I didn't vote for him". (godwin aside) If you voted in Hitler/Saddam and only found out after the fact would you sit on your ass or actually do something about it?

How fuking stupid or better yet, how much damage does Bush have to do before he is impeached/kicked out? How far are you willing to push it? I mean hes already fuked the USA as a super power and put it so far into debt your great grandchildren are screwed, you have an illegal war, coverup after coverup on dodgy dealings, sat back and did nothing during Kathrina, sat back and did nothing for most of the morning of 9/11, supporting administration who publically outed a CIA agent (treaon offense), supporting the detaining of people without rights, crippling your own troops.

The list goes on, and he still has just under 1000 days to completly **** things up. Even money says he does some **** with Iran.

Anti-American? No. Pissed off that you sit on your asses and let him do the things he does. Yes.

The comedy in all this is it takes a Jester (Colbert) to point it out where the US media won't how bad it is.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The other organisations are generally left of center.
    On a planet where the "center" is located way off on the right wing, sure.

ob.read: The Right Nation, by John Micklethwait and Adrian Woolridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i'm speechless:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You know, I almost believed you up until that point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

BuffyBot wrote:
    You know, I almost believed you up until that point ;)

That's exactly what I thought. Troll anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sleipnir wrote:
    That's exactly what I thought. Troll anyone?

Yea might be, although there are people who take Fox as Gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

This anti-American term is so childish I'm not aware of it happening with any other country. I thought the poll tax was wrong didn't make me anti-British. People are against a policy or policies not the whole country and everyone in it.
    I think its a result of a lazy type of journalism and a device used by politicians just to label anything in order to dismiss it. Its a lot easier to dismiss an arguement by calling someone a commie or anti-American than to actualy debate the point.
    Fox is a rubbish news station. Look at it for five minutes and its obvious. I don't have a problem with biased news its their right to follow a certain line but its the whole "fair and balanced" claim that is annoying. O'Reilly is a muppet, do a search for Bill O'Reilly on youtube or look at www.mediamatters.com for examples. Coulter is worse!!

Advertisement