Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 Vectra Question

Options
  • 03-05-2006 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi could any one tell me at what RPM do they check the "High RPM Lambda" on a 1.6 echotec 16 vale 97 Vectra B. Or maybe some one has this car and has an old nct to check at what Rpm they measured it.

Here is my problem, I went to get the nct done last Saturday and was 15 min late. So they gave my place away to a garage car that the dealer left there. Then they told me I got two choices:

Cancel and rebook or wait till someone else doesn't show up.

So I argued with them and they let me leave the car there and when they had a free spot they would do it.

But the car of course failed, on this lambda sensor. But the tested it at 3300 RPM and I saw in their manual that they should test it @ 2500 or manufacturers spec. I have checked all the cars I ever owned and no one ever tested it that high.

Oh it failed by something like .001 :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It obviously hasn't been tested at the specified level. You should contact NCT and lodge an appeal. There is, as far as I know, a process to be followed. I'd expect them to either grant the test or a free retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

@ciasto

Your car didn't fail on a broken lambda sensor, but on a bad lambda reading. What was the exact reading ??? Most likely cause is a simple leak in your exhaust system, that causes a bad lambda reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

Cosmo K wrote:
    @ciasto

Your car didn't fail on a broken lambda sensor, but on a bad lambda reading. What was the exact reading ??? Most likely cause is a simple leak in your exhaust system, that causes a bad lambda reading.

High idle 3210RPM Lambda 1.043 its to be between 0.97 and 1.03

Passed everything else.

And how is it that they take garage cars without booking and they know that its e.g. Johns car. That must be illegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sounds a bit high alright, maybe its the Manu's Spec, but I doubt it.

Be sure to work the engine hard before the NCT to get the cat right up to temperature. I dont know about the garage cars thing, but it doesnt surprise me.

The Ibiza I bought from you is up for NCT next month actually :)

@ciasto

Yep, that means the mixture is to lean ! There must be a leak in your exhaust somewhere, where air comes in to the exhaust system. Don't buy a new lambda sensor !!!!! Check the exhaust for leaks, maybe its the flexible pipe thats gone.....

• Advertisement

P.S Why would it be illegal to take on an extra garage car, if there is a free slot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

Glad to hear the car is still around SuperComputer. She was a great little runner.

I'll check the exhaust thing today, that might be it.

And the garage problem I'm having, is that this should be impartial, its like putting you name on a leaving cert and the examiner knows who you are.

This is a window for abuse, after the test the examiner was test driving it in the carpark and all I could hear is tyres. He wouldn't do that with any car only the one he know the owner.

Advertisement