Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast Thunder event??

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭

Just wondering with the Spanish plume heading to the mainland of the UK tomorrow and with the thundery precip expected in the Irish Sea and the Irish East Coast, could there be a could thunderstorm event on it's way with temps in Wales expected to be in the 20's whilst a short hop over the Irish Sea, temps are only due to be in the early double digits. Huge temperature difference there over a very short space.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just like in wintertime the tiny distance between the east of Ireland and the UK makes a massive temperature difference, tomorrow will be around 12-15C here and up to 25C in the UK, sickening isnt it:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gonzo wrote:
    Just like in wintertime the tiny distance between the east of Ireland and the UK makes a massive temperature difference, tomorrow will be around 12-15C here and up to 25C in the UK, sickening isnt it:(

It is very possible we could have a few thunderstorms. The winds will be off the Irish sea and should be good instability:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Theres some activity on the radar atm nothing realy interesting yet, although it has been forecasted for parts of the country today mainly in the west/north west.

It would be nice to get a bit of thunder and lightining, you would probably have to go chasing though.

:p

Hal1 wrote:
    Theres some activity on the radar atm nothing realy interesting yet, although it has been forecasted for parts of the country today mainly in the west/north west.

It would be nice to get a bit of thunder and lightining, you would probably have to go chasing though.

:p

Eastern parts could get a pounding of very heavy thundery rain tomorrow:D

Rtavn3011.png

Rtavn304.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's not good! I want lightning strikes and plenty of them!

We have wireless broadband now so fried modems are no longer an issue:D

Rain is not good, on its own.

• Advertisement

That's not good! I want lightning strikes and plenty of them!

We have wireless broadband now so fried modems are no longer an issue:D

Rain is not good, on its own.

I think there is a good chance of some lightning tomorrow but only in the East and really only locally. Otherwise very heavy thundery rain:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Noting my address... I like the Cape forecast:)

Noting my address... I like the Cape forecast:)

So do I:D

Interesting activity now stretching right the way up the east coast will intensify later as the warm humid air to the east collides with the colder air to the west. Some flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder along with some very heavy rain. Brightening up here on the coast for the time being. If the sun comes out I reckon we could reach 17C. Look out this evening for more intense activity and possibly some spot flooding:)

Begger all rain here as the rain band pulsed south to north more inland than forecast.
    The heaviest of the band was maybe 30 miles inland.

It's curved into ulster and is giving a right downpour there.

Some pinks on the radar still to pulse up the East coast. I dont think theres going to be much mixing of air masses today,so thunder remains a possibility but not definite.
    The main possibilities are still in Britain I think rather than here as they will have added heat with more instability there.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Begger all rain here as the rain band pulsed south to north more inland than forecast.
    The heaviest of the band was maybe 30 miles inland.

It's curved into ulster and is giving a right downpour there.

Some pinks on the radar still to pulse up the East coast. I dont think theres going to be much mixing of air masses today,so thunder remains a possibility but not definite.
    The main possibilities are still in Britain I think rather than here as they will have added heat with more instability there.

Hi EM
    www.isleofwightweather.co.uk

Check out the lightning detector. First strikes, one near the border and another on the Irish sea in the last half hour

yeah I use that one a lot.

I knew about the strike near Belfast and theres a storm in cardigan bay right now.
    Not much use to the rest of us though.

Earthman wrote:
    yeah I use that one a lot.

I knew about the strike near Belfast and theres a storm in cardigan bay right now.
    Not much use to the rest of us though.

Were not all going to thunder or lightning or a good storm by any means, in fact Dublin has a troublesome rain shadow with the winds from the southeast so unlikely we will see anything.

That storm in cardigan bay is intensifying and moving north.
    It's about to hit land in the northwest tip of wales south of anglesea and wait for it, it's currently showing a rain rate of 60mm/hr

Earthman wrote:
    That storm in cardigan bay is intensifying and moving north.
    It's about to hit land in the northwest tip of wales south of anglesea and wait for it, it's currently showing a rain rate of 60mm/hr

We are too close to the front really. That should push that activity up the Irish sea as opposed to onto the coast. The front itself looks nothing more then a band of sometimes heavy and persistent rain. Still time yet though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Irish Sea has exploded into life!!! Not looking like affecting the east coast but will be keeping a close eye. Eastern Northern Ireland could be taking a pounding soon though - that warm air must be literally just tens of miles away from us

Looking at the meteorologica.info website lots of activity :)

see attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Absolutely amazing lightning storm in Glasgow, about 1 hour of massive fork lightning and torrential downpours. I flew from Southampton to Glasgow tonight and I could see the storm clouds rolling in. Landed at 19:45, got to Glasgow City Centre at 20:10 and the sky just opened. Never seen a storm as intense as this one. Pretty glaf we landed before it hit.

Looking at that weather site I posted about earlier. There is lot going on up there tonight, looking at the radar graphs. If only it moved in a south east direction then us dubs might get to see something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link!, wow that sounds like it was one hell of a storm reading those comments on the bbc web. Good pics on there too. :)
    Are there any indications of more of this type of weather heading our way. Reading through that it said it came up from france/spain, freak storm anyways.

Advertisement