Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to create a local database that updates a web page

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've been asked to set up a database in excell or access or something like that with a list of product codes that needs to publish this data to our website so that when a customer logs in they can check stock availability
    which is up to date, the first problem is I don't have any experience in this field at all and the second problem is that the database on our local pc with the stock has to publish the data everyday with as little supervision as possible, preferably automated if this is possible, is there an off the shelf solution for this or can anyone point me to the tools and resources I need to get this off the ground? please help I am in way over my head.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

What language are you using?
    PHP or ASP or ....?

You need to interact with the database one way or the other.
    If you have it local you can create a html page with the details from the database and uploaded on the server.

If you make any changes to the database you just need to refresh the page on your local computer, save it again as html and put back on the server.

If you want to always pull fresh data you need to use a dynamic language (as above) with a connection to the database and any changes you make to the data will be available straigh away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would it work having one copy of the database - on the web server?
    This way you wouldn't have any update issues as it would always be live.
    Everyone would access the database via a browser. This would require everyone to have always-on internet access.

I'm coming from a php/perl/cgi direction. I don't know what the Access/Excel options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I highly recommend you do not use access if you intend to publish the site to the web. This will only cause you issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Access is fine for something small or basic where traffic will not be an issue. Its not the best DB in the world by any means but does suffice. Just make sure its kept within a secure folder.

As for the OP - read up some tutorials on both ASP & ADO (I will presume ASP is available to you given you are working with an Office product).
    Use these...

www.manastungare.com/publications/asp/tutorial/
    www.w3schools.com/asp
    www.asptutorial.info
    www.webwizguide.info/asp/tutorials
    www.aspin.com/home/tutorial
    www.aspfree.com/c/b/ASP/
    www.stardeveloper.com/articles/display.html?article=20000416 01&page=1
    www.visualbuilder.com/asp/tutorial/

www.w3schools.com/asp/ado_intro.asp
    www.aspwebpro.com/tutorials/asp/dbconnectionopen.asp

Ask back here for further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tengu

The server we are on supports my sql and php and I can take the data and convert it to csv to get around access and excell and use something like php I suppose, I'm going to check out the links I was sent, (thanks a mill) and see
    what I can come up with.
    Thank you to everyone for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Google for web based stock control systems. Chances are you can find something with a web-based front-end for customers, a web-based backend for yourself, and an auto-install script to get you up and running.

Advertisement