Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham Arc de Triomph

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the arch on the lower side of Churchtown and the Lower Dodder Park Road is?

It is quite similar to the arch on St Stephens Green but perhaps a little smaller. I drive past it every day but have no idea what it is I am looking at.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Doolittle51

It used to be an entrance to Rathfarnham Castle, many many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Doolittle.

And was Rathfarnham Castle on the other side of the river or where did it stand?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I would not like to have paid for the tar for the avenue upto that house if the front gate was on the Lower Dodder Park Road and the house at the bottom of the Grange Road.

That's amazing. But I can't think of where the castle is - I'll drive around that way at the weekend.

Regards,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Doolittle51

Drive along the main road towards Rathfarnham, (i.e. with the gate on your right), until you reach the large crossroad. Take a left here (towards Rathfarnham village), the castle is just past the next set of traffic lights on the left.

• Advertisement

I know it I know - it was where the first seismology device was used.

Still a long driveway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Long driveway is right. Also, I remember it was once a(very small) house where an old couple lived(up until the early 80's IIRC). You can still see the door on the inside of the archway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement