Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleforbes Square, docklands

Options
  • 03-05-2006 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Anyone living in castleforbes sq that has broad band, i need it fast and people are pushing me around so i need a service provider that is definitley in the area

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is that not a place with no eircom lines and no NTL cable ....so who supplies telly then ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭reallybad

Sponge Bob wrote:
    is that not a place with no eircom lines and no NTL cable ....so who supplies telly then ??

I can get an eircom line but thet cant guarantee that they will be able to supply it (usual crap, but yet they are willing to let you fork out 130 bucks to take that chance). Sky Conway supply the TV (very basic)

so damn annoying

sky conway have an absolutely shocking reputation , they basically share a sky box between all the apartments, and you have no phone line

Therefore your choices are probably clearwire or digiweb metro or you may need both and preferably the latter , you may risk Irish Broadband but only if truly desperate .

from what I heard before eircom have no lines in the general area this year but you should order off them anyway and get a written confirmation that you ordered a telephone line .

next time you move into some new build in Dublin check that the developers have proper services like eircom lines actually installed and NTL or Magnet for Broadband ...not sky conway under any circumstances.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    sky conway have an absolutely shocking reputation , they basically share a sky box between all the apartments, and you have no phone line

Therefore your choices are probably clearwire or digiweb metro or you may need both and preferably the latter , you may risk Irish Broadband but only if truly desperate .

from what I heard before eircom have no lines in the general area this year but you should order off them anyway and get a written confirmation that you ordered a telephone line .

next time you move into some new build in Dublin check that the developers have proper services like eircom lines actually installed and NTL or Magnet for Broadband ...not sky conway under any circumstances.

Thanks for that - unfortunatley i am after purchasing so it wasnt high on my priority. TO be honest sky conway dont really bother me as i am not a big tv lover - i guess its just not having the option of NTL sucks though

Can i ask you what you mean by "from what I heard before eircom have no lines in the general area this year but you should order off them anyway and get a written confirmation that you ordered a telephone line . " - i am getting connected alright but they just wont guarantee that i will get BB

reallybad wrote:
    - i am getting connected alright but they just wont guarantee that i will get BB

thats not too bad so but they may make you share your line if they are short of copper. The line will not support BB if shared. I would be concerned if you got no firm install date from Eircom yet because that would indicate capacity issues.

eircom never guarantee broadband

meanwhile look at those wireless options unless you live on the ground floor or the 1st floor where this could be seriously problematic

if you are really really stuffed but need some connectivity there is the 384k datacard option from vodafone for €150 a month (I think) for unlimited usage , ring 1907 and ask .

http://www.vodafone.ie/workonthemove/mcc/index.jsp

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    thats not too bad so but they may make you share your line if they are short of copper. The line will not support BB if shared. I would be concerned if you got no firm install date from Eircom yet because that would indicate capacity issues.

eircom never guarantee broadband

meanwhile look at those wireless options unless you live on the ground floor or the 1st floor where this could be seriously problematic

if you are really really stuffed but need some connectivity there is the 384k datacard option from vodafone for €150 a month (I think) for unlimited usage , ring 1907 and ask .

http://www.vodafone.ie/workonthemove/mcc/index.jsp

Thanks for that - think just wait and see what eircom can do for me. They told me they should have a date for me by next monday if i call them back. I just hope i can get it, i am really sick of not having it, i lived in the Harolds Cross area before and it was the same story. This day and age it is a bloody joke.

I am on the third floor and am using ripwave from irish broadband but its slower than dialup- a bloody joke, i cant say enough bad things about them to be honest. They are a bunvh of cowboys and should not be allowed sell the product

Thanks for the advice bob

you already know all about IBB I see :D .

try clearwire or digiweb metro like I said , if you have a balcony you can discreetly install metro if the balcony faces the 'right' way , it may even work from inside the window on occasion. Clearwire is similar to Ripwave excpat that it kinda works unlike Ripwave.

ntl are off your menu for good as things stand.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you already know all about IBB I see :D .

try clearwire or digiweb metro like I said , if you have a balcony you can discreetly install metro if the balcony faces the 'right' way , it may even work from inside the window on occasion. Clearwire is similar to Ripwave excpat that it kinda works unlike Ripwave.

ntl are off your menu for good as things stand.

Oh sadly i do but have had no choice but to use them as it was all i could get - they are crap crap crap!

Surely they are actually false advertising with claiming they are supplying "broadband"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

Let us know how you get on.

I am just moving into Castleforbes square, albeit renting and I just never thought that in the inner city that a phoneline and broadband would be an issue. So much for assumptions.

I have ordered a line from Errorcom via the internet but have yet to hear back from them.

So please keep the thread updated, I will do the same if I have anything to add.

Thx.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:

Easier said then done, the vast majority of developments in Dublin don't have either Eircom, NTL or standard Sky. If you are really lucky the development has over priced, yet working, fibre BB from either Smart or Magnet.

It is a pity that the developer of Castleforbes Square didn't arrange for decent telecommunications infrastructure, as they are very nice apartments.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    the developer of Castleforbes Square

That developer, in essence, is Zoe who
    1. built tax shelter slums along the quays for years in the 1980s and 1990s . #
    2. Collapsed cranes across the Dart
    3. had a dismal record in health and safetty over the years and was told so by a judge

Leopards and spots eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I also have an apartment on the 3rd floor in castelforbes square
    From what i can see ripwave is my only option and i was going to go buy the box this evening...

It seems to be the only one without a contract, as i intend to switch to DSL as soon as my phone line gets installed

ReallyBad is Ripwave really that bad?? what block are u in (D here)

I was on to Eircom again today and they said it will be the end of june at the earliest before thephone line will be in..,

As SpongeBob pointed out its because there is a capacity issue on teh exchange and there are no spare pors in the exchange...

a mate had a lucky escape from that place last month , he was about to rent till he found out there was no BB

geecee wrote:
    I also have an apartment on the 3rd floor in castelforbes square
    From what i can see ripwave is my only option and i was going to go buy the box this evening...

It seems to be the only one without a contract, as i intend to switch to DSL as soon as my phone line gets installed

ReallyBad is Ripwave really that bad?? what block are u in (D here)

I was on to Eircom again today and they said it will be the end of june at the earliest before thephone line will be in..,

As SpongeBob pointed out its because there is a capacity issue on teh exchange and there are no spare pors in the exchange...

I am also on the third floor in Block D, and it is rubbish (thats as politley as i can put it). At peak times 50% of the time i cant even connect, and can take up to 30 mins to find a connection. even at very off peak times, it is still VERY slow, i used to play onlin poker but it keeps dropping my connection. Its just not an option. I used dial up recently and it is hardly as good as it.

I will kepp you posted on my Eircom line

Folowing spongebobs reciommendation i contacted digiweb metro...

The girl there said that i would have to put the receiver unit on the roof of the apt and that it couldn't go on my balcony...

Looks like another option ruled out!

Rip<off>wave here i come (for 3 day trial anyway!)

geecee wrote:
    As SpongeBob pointed out its because there is a capacity issue on the exchange and there are no spare ports in the exchange...
    Sheriff St and area to the east is on the Summerhill Exchange The Summerhill Exchange is one of the biggest exchanges in the whole country . There is no capacity issue there whatsoever .

What happened was that eircom have no spare cable from summerhill towards Sheriff st and never bothered putting any in when they saw a big building site down there.

Try testing any live line beginning 01855 , say 018551234 , on the Summerhill exchange and you may get a pass and they will gladly sell you BB on it and there will be no port problem because there is no capacity or port problem .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Sheriff St and area to the east is on the Summerhill Exchange The Summerhill Exchange is one of the biggest exchanges in the whole country . There is no capacity issue there whatsoever .

What happened was that eircom have no spare cable from summerhill towards Sheriff st and never bothered putting any in when they saw a big building site down there.

Try testing any live line beginning 01855 , say 018551234 , on the Summerhill exchange and you may get a pass and they will gladly sell you BB on it and there will be no port problem because there is no capacity or port problem .

I was actually given my number by Eircom this morning and on their site it says i need to call them before BB can be hooked up. BAsically they dont know, and that "each line is unique". Magent say they dont support it :-(

Oh and my number is 01 889*****, however i know a number belonging to the builders which are in the block accross the carpark(Block C) and it passes the Eircom test as well as the magnet test. I guess it will work or ami being naive in thinking this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The Summerhill exchange has been enabled by Smart so forget this Eircom lark, go with Smart instead.

they will not have tested the line yet . That can take weeks.

Blaster99 wrote:
    The Summerhill exchange has been enabled by Smart so forget this Eircom lark, go with Smart instead.

Hi guys,

I tested my number in smarts system and i am not on the summerhill exchange, i am actually on the east point exchange. Anyone know if BB is available here. Smart are not live in this area. They are also a pack of jokers, i ordered it march 13th and still havent heard anything...

• Advertisement

Smart are not in the east point exchange...it being a boxeen by the roadside.

This East Point (or Eastpoint) boxeen does have DSL built in but it may well be out of ports like they say , unlike the Summerhill exchange. That could require a lot of work or very little , one never knows .

Its a bit daft that the skyline in that area is full of cranes, indicating thats there is a bit of building going on in Dublins docklands, but that eircom cannot seem to provision essential services like Broadband down there. I therefore recommend you write to someone in eircom who can make things happen ...or at least explain the situation accurately to you , thats phil.nolan@eircom.ie

Tell us what the story is in the East Point area (eastern Dublin 1) once you hear back .

thanks bob, i have emailed him now awaitng reply.

This country sucks for broadband. My folks live down the country in a quite littel estate about 2 miles outside a small town and have a 4M download, what a joke

Hi Reallybad/Spongebob

I have also e-mailed Phil Nolan on this matter this morning... will post in this thread as soon as i hear anything...

Unlike Reallybad, i have not even received a notification as to what my number will be!

geecee wrote:
    Hi Reallybad/Spongebob

I have also e-mailed Phil Nolan on this matter this morning... will post in this thread as soon as i hear anything...

Unlike Reallybad, i have not even received a notification as to what my number will be!

If you ask Eircom after you order a line then they will tell you what your number will be over the phone. Really bad, i think because we aare in block d we are not going to get any luck, what a flipping joke

Hi guys

I emailed that guy this morning and got a phone call back from their broadband department. Talk about passing the blame on but can you believe now they are balming the Dublin council saying that they dont have duct down to even put in lines. However she did tell me that the east point area is in fact set up fro broadband. She gave me her name to call her on a direct line to see the status of the situation in a few weeks time?!!

They are some shower of chancers, the phone cant even be connected never mind broadband!!! What the hell is this country coming to eh?

If i hear anythign back from them later i will let ye know.

Greece expect a call!

Hi ReallyBad
    I got the same call and the same blurb
    She told me to ask the builders about when the council will carry out the work...
    I'll be talking to Johnny tomorrow, but i doubt he will know anything!
    Incidentally I received a ripwave modem and tried it at lunch time...

Speeds are brutal and loads of page timeouts... but i guess better than nothing for the moment!

eircom puts their own ducts in ...except that in this case they did not put the duct in so none of ye can have a phone line until they do and thats that !!!!

the council (corpo) does not put ducts in but it co-ordinates digging so that for example 10 different telcos do not dig the street once a week for 10 weeks .

the builder does not organise the corpo to do anything IIRC the telcos do.

get back onto yer wan and ask her for the precise name of the corpo department she is on about and the name of the section concerned within that department and be prepared for sniggers when you contact them .

http://www.dublin.ie/ has some information on road digging co-ordination .

wiat till you get home tonight and try ti when loads of others are using it in the area, its a feckin joke!

Have you noticed diggers all the way up castleforbes road these days? could that be it?

reallybad wrote:
    diggers all the way up castleforbes road these days? could that be it?

It could be anybody, as they fill in the holes they leave hatches in the roads, read the writing on those hatches !!!! .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It could be anybody, as they fill in the holes they leave hatches in the roads, read the writing on those hatches !!!! .

well they have council signs? but you believe bob that eircom dig their own?

Advertisement