Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relations

Options
  • 03-05-2006 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What famous people are related to figures from Irish history?

To give this a start, the actor Gregory Peck was a cousin of Thomas Ashe.

In politics, Michael McDowell is a grandson of Eoin MacNeill. Mary O'Rourke is a great-niece of Michael Collins. Somebody or other is related to Kevin O'Higgins, who was himself a nephew of Tim Healy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 harrybosch

Eamonn o cuiv, gaeltacht and rural affairs is related to the long fellow himself, dev

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

luckat wrote:
    . Mary O'Rourke is a great-niece of Michael Collins. Somebody or other is related to Kevin O'Higgins, who was himself a nephew of Tim Healy...

You're thinking of Norah Owen and Mary Banotti. Mary O'Rourke is the wrong party. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Are you sure about Gregory Peck & Thomas Ashe? Many years ago I knew a relative of Thomas Ashe and the Peck relationship was never mentioned.

That is amazing.

I know that one of the British officers that Pearse surrendered to went on to star in some Hollywood movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mmmm, wasn't a British officer but the son of one, I think.... what was his name again.... Loden? Something like that.

Gregory Peck, yup, well known. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_image_gallery.do?institution_id=20&topic_id=26

for a bit of family stuff, and also take a look at the Wiki about Peck. Or maye Ashe, forget which. Or both.

This page

http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Ireland.htm

says Mary O'Rourke is Collins' grand-niece, but maybe it's wrong.

Oops, edit - misread the page. Sorry. My mistake. Collins can stop turning in his grave now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Colin Farrell is Fr. Pat Noise's grandson. (Ye can't trust them made up priests to keep their celebacy vows.)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/luasbellgoesdingdingding/143896958/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

luckat wrote:
    What famous people are related to figures from Irish history?

To give this a start, the actor Gregory Peck was a cousin of Thomas Ashe.

In politics, Michael McDowell is a grandson of Eoin MacNeill. Mary O'Rourke is a great-niece of Michael Collins. Somebody or other is related to Kevin O'Higgins, who was himself a nephew of Tim Healy...

I'm a great-grand neice of Tim Healy but i'm not famous!
    Nora Owen is michael Collin's great-neice.

Advertisement