Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football - Charlesland kickabout??

Options
  • 03-05-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Guys!
    I understand that the football courts in the new leisure centre are due to be completed soon enough. I was wondering if there would be any takers for a kickabout once a week when they open - we could block book the court for an evening that suits everyone? I'm thinking it would be a good way for us all to get to know eachother in Charlesland and could even be passed off as exercise!!!

What do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would be on for that, only I am totally devoid of any soccer skills whatsoever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hc

My fiance and his friend are definitely up for it, so they asked me to reply on their behalf. We were only talking about it yesterday, it's a great idea.

And hey, if it's mixed, count me in too, but no worries if it's men only, i'm pretty useless anyway!

Keep us updated with any progress....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

Nice one!
    Hopefully we'll get a few more interested and see how we go from there.

As far as age/ability/gender is concerned, the more the merrier! If we get enough of a response then we can always book a few courts and people can go along to whatever game suits them best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I'm definitely on for it. I think there's a thread on here somewhere with a list of people who were interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

HC, we could always try get a girls team, any females out there interested? Pretty useless myself but im sure one of the lads would be willing to show us how its done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Count me in anyway gentlemen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Valmont2006

Why not! I'm sure I can drag the better half along too, if it's mixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

count me in...
    my 11 a-side team is now a good thirty mile round trip for training...
    dont think I will be doing that twice a week after work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm in!

However, totally suck at soccer, but it will keep me out of wifey's way while there's no Rugby on!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'd give it a go, but does one have to be a gym member?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Another thought...

Anyone interested in tip rugby, tip (american) football or ultimate? All mixed sports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

I'd be up for a kick around, providing there is an ambulance on stand by, as well as oxygen tanks for the needy.

I have always lived by the philosophy of, 'when ever I think of exercise I lay down untill it passes'. But I need to change my ways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Apip99 wrote:
    But I need to change my ways!!

Bullshìt - you're avoiding the upcoming "nappy changing" duty and I know it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Liam81

count me in for the weekly 5 a side

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I would defo be on for it... after the exams are done in three weeks... :rolleyes:

Otherwise any night after work would be fine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Another thought...

Anyone interested in tip rugby, tip (american) football or ultimate? All mixed sports...

Hey Mike, I'm always looking for someone to throw a football round with, would be great to get a few people out for a game of tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Football??
    How hard can it be....count me in!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Newcomers

FINN1 wrote:
    Hi Guys!
    I understand that the football courts in the new leisure centre are due to be completed soon enough. I was wondering if there would be any takers for a kickabout once a week when they open - we could block book the court for an evening that suits everyone? I'm thinking it would be a good way for us all to get to know eachother in Charlesland and could even be passed off as exercise!!!

What do you think??

That sounds a great I deal and I'd love to go along, however I can honestly say, sporty as I am, footy isn't my epertise ;) but would be up for heading out if something was organised.

Same goes for the tag rugby or even just kicking the ball about, play alot of tag rugby - not the real thing might I add - but is a good laugh and keeps ya fit. Badly in need of someone to kick the ball about since movin in here and no longer have the bro to play with,

Anyway, keep me posted,:cool:
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lorrie

My husband would definitely up for this - he's been playing with people from work but the team got disbanded due to lack of people. What night are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kirsten25

Excellent idea, I know my boyfriend would be so keen on joining in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I would definitely be up for it, nothing like a good team sport for getting to know people and of coarse there is the post match analysis in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'd be interested in playing too. Has there been any progress with booking? Or are the pitches not open yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CD_GD

You can count me and the boyf in too. I can't play at all and we don't actually live in Charlesland yet but we would like to join in anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clare kinito

i'd say my hubby would be on for that- what night and time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

Read in the Wicklow times last week that a manager had been appointed this month so it should be happening soon. The track and courts belong to the council and have nothing to do with Jackie Skellys. Thats why they are so slow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Defo would be nice for it to open up there... and by the sound of all the interested people it seems like there would be enough for about 4 x 5-a-side teams... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

The 5-aside pitches were being used on evening (or perhaps a Saturday). I investigated and a young guy on a motorbike told me that the security guard lets them in to play. They have to get over a fence though. Getting over a fence would probably be enough exercise for me of late but I'm definitely up for a kick around when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

It sounds like it won't be long now until we can get a game organised. I am actually going away on holiday for a couple of weeks - at last! - so could anyone that is heading up that way in the meantime see if they can find out any more details and then we can nominate a time and date to get started. I suspect it'll take us a while to get it organised properly but we may as well give it a go!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

would it be possible to put a board together where we could put our names beside days and get straight in there when they open up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The council hired a manager for the sports complex, and he started at the end of May. I spoke to him and he said Zapi is handing the site over to the Council on June 30, but the place won't be open till Sept. 1. The main reason is health and safety, and security issues (putting in CCTV etc.).

He said he already has around 10 bookings for the five-a-side courts and schools have booked the place for September so they will definitely be open then.

The guy's name is Dominic Gunshenan and he can be reached in the Wicklow County Buildings, Community & Enterprise Dept. He'll be based onsite eventually and will have staff.

Advertisement