Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football - Charlesland kickabout??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 planko

i'm all in mate

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

I'd be on for it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi everyone,

I rang the community and sports section of WCC this afternoon and asked if the 5-a-side courts were open yet. They said they weren't but will be shortly. I have asked the main guy to give me a ring so I can get times of when the court is free.

I'm proposing we get our act together and put together a list of names and numbers of who wants to play. Also suggestions of when to play during the week. I have no problems if people want to Private Msg me their name and I'll upload them to a webpage...can either keep your phone number private or not!

Thanks,

Ciarán.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Marcais wrote:
    The 5-aside pitches were being used on evening (or perhaps a Saturday). I investigated and a young guy on a motorbike told me that the security guard lets them in to play. They have to get over a fence though. Getting over a fence would probably be enough exercise for me of late but I'm definitely up for a kick around when it starts.
    Yeah we hopped in a few weeks ago to kick about for a bit, and the security guard went apeshit at us. Don't know why they're not open, they seem ready for play. Probs was insurance or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I'm in as well, big time! Could you please keep me posted with whatever happening? Is there someone organising it outside this forum is this where it's all organised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pasc

Hi Ciarán,

You can count me in, I would suggest that you just pick at date / time for the first kick about and we can take it from there.

Pasc.

Thanks Pasc. But unfortunately I don't know when it will be open exactly. Waiting for this Dominic guy from the Council to ring me. As soon as I have more info I'll post it up here.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

Im definitely in too lads. Will keep an eye on the board for updates.
    Cheers

Hi everyone,

I've stuck up a list of the people who have expressed an interest in meeting up for a kickabout. You can view the list at http://www.allaboutbuildings.ie/charleslandfooty.htm

If anyone wants to be added please send me a private message.

Thanks, Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Count me in Ciarán.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I was speaking to the manager, Dominic, yesterday and apparently the sports facilities including football pitches will now open the week of 18th Sept. They will have staff on site starting then.

Thanks for the info MyPerfectCousin.

I've updated the list on http://www.allaboutbuildings.ie/charleslandfooty.htm

If everyone can send an email or private message to me with days/times they are not available then we can all agree on a suitable time to have the kickabout. And that of course depends on when the pitch is available!

Thanks everyone,

Ciarán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mull.com

would be interested in having a game in the evenings...was thinking if enough people wanted to play we could have teams as in the grove, park etc..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pasc

Excellent idea mull.com,

Although I suspect it will depend upon how many can make it.

Hey guys,

Looks like we have a good number of people for the kickabout. All we need now is to get in contact with Dominic to book the pitch. If anyone has his mobile number please give him and ring and ask him to ring me!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ciarán.

http://www.allaboutbuildings.ie/charleslandfooty.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

I'd defo be interested in a kickabout.
    Spoke to one of the guys up in the centre yesterday, and he said the place would be open next week.....no excuses!
    I like the idea of teams from the Park, Wood, Court etc....
    I'm inthe Court.....let me know when this all kicks off
    :)

Well at this stage there is plenty of interest to create four teams (but with no subs!). Anyway, besides the four corners of Charlesland we might have some people in Seabourne, The Fairways and The Crescent complaining that they have no team. Get enough people and they can have a team called the High Rise committee! Just kidding...looks like we're nearly underway and I look forward seeing you lot for a kickabout.

Ciarán.

Hi guys,

The pitch is booked for 7pm till 8pm on Thursday, 28th September 2006. The total fee for this week is €65 so can you all bring some change. I suppose as well to bring a dark t-shirt and a light T-shirt so we can make up some teams! Anyone who has a football please bring it along.

Thanks, Ciarán.

Has any body come up with a football yet? I'm going to a sports shop to buy a pair of boots today or tomorrow, if we haven't got a football I can get one and we split the cost in the first payment. We'll probably need 2, actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Don't think you need boots for the Astroturf. A decent pair of trainers will probably do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

astro boots are lots better than regular runners, they will have lots of little rubber spikes on the sole.

is there still room for tonight ?

Hi G...its tomorrow night I booked a court for. As for room...just turn up as I have no idea how many will be there. Muffins...I got a football yesterday to bring along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

I will be there too, if there is no room it wont be too much of a walk home!!

See you all tomorrow.
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Coolhand

Hi All,

Ill pop along as well. Its astro turf not savannah is that right.

See youse tommorrow.

Don't think you need boots for the Astroturf. A decent pair of trainers will probably do the trick.

I have lost my trainers in the house move chaos anyway! But also I've heard that the astroturf ones are a lot less slippery...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

I'll be along too lads. See you tomorrow!

Excellent.....see you all there.
    We should look into the possibility of block booking at least one of the pitches for the future.
    I'll dig up a ball and bring it along

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Sorry, can't mkae this thursday but will make ALL others.

Enjoy

Hi everyone,

We had a little kickaround on Thursday night. Great fun and not too serious (although the joints are hurting today)! We understand it is better to have the start time at 8pm so everyone can get back from work/other duties however Thursday at 8pm it is booked out each week by the local football clubs, therefore we chose Mondays which is convenient to most.

A pitch is block-booked from 8pm till 9pm every Monday. This Monday (2.Oct.06) a ‘float amount’ of €65 is to be paid along with the usual €65 for the court. This means we have the court the next week. If we don’t use the court the next week we will still have a credit on our account, however, if we don’t use the court again the following week we lose our credit. Anyone who has a football please bring it along. Thanks.

In the meantime I’ll look into getting some bibs so we can make teams rather than doing ‘shirts and skins’!

We would like keep a list of names and numbers for everyone so it would be great if you send an email to me and I’ll put the list together and then email the list back to you. For obvious reasons I won’t put anybody’s contact information on the web.

Thanks, Ciarán.

• Advertisement

C'mon lads.
    Lets get some decent numbers together for next Monday night. We should be able to put a seven aside together without too many problems. Fair play to everyone who's shown up so far, and to Ciaran for getting this off the ground.
    Lets see some more bodies next week.
    I wouldn't exactly call the standard "samba", or "total football", but it's an excuse to get away from the missus and anklebiters for an hour.
    See you all there on Monday
    Owen

Advertisement