Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitter oranges

• 03-05-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Got bag of 1/2 price supervalue oranges the other week - very bitter and not easy to peel (back to aldi mandarins in future) Rather than binning is there anything I could use these for - including cleaning or creating nice scent as not a particularly great cook - other option seems to be cover in sugar before trying to eat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

chickey wrote:
    Got bag of 1/2 price supervalue oranges the other week - very bitter and not easy to peel (back to aldi mandarins in future) Rather than binning is there anything I could use these for - including cleaning or creating nice scent as not a particularly great cook - other option seems to be cover in sugar before trying to eat

If it was Xmas I'd say to spike them with cloves and hang them with ribbons on the tree like we do at home.

Hmmm, you could juice them and make an orange sorbet from them, look up sorbet recipes online, sorbet is'nt hard and there is so much sugar in it that the bitterness shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Or find some duck breast and use them for orange sauce ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are they seville oranges? they're used for marmalade, maybe you could make some of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 boxoid

Blub2k4 wrote:
    If it was Xmas I'd say to spike them with cloves and hang them with ribbons on the tree like we do at home.

Hmmm, you could juice them and make an orange sorbet from them, look up sorbet recipes online, sorbet is'nt hard and there is so much sugar in it that the bitterness shouldn't be a problem.

what the ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Oi Boxoid, stop trolling me, go to the thread you're trying to avoid and have it out there, or are you a coward as well as a liar and a troll?

This argument does not belong in any forum except the one where I caught you lying, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

boxoid wrote:
    what the ****...

if you have nothing useful to add to this thread then kindly refrain from commenting at all.
    I won't warn you again, I'll just ban you.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

Add them to smoothies to give a tangy taste?? or how about orange cookies--they are quite yummy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

chickey wrote:

Bit of a side note but kinda related......... No matter how bitter your oranges are I gaurantee they're like sugar cubes to some I once had. I was in Marrakesh and coming home late and drunk with this Scottish guy called Murray when we spotted an orange tree. Before you know we're climbing up and picking them. Back on the ground we peeled them and bit in. Oh my good living god, we both literally fell to the ground in pain. It was the most acidic thing I could ever have imagained eating and hurt so badly that we genuinely considered going to the hospital. I bet your oranges aren't that bad!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

another side topic, I buy lots of oranges for juicing and in a hurry in Lidl/Aldi picked up two packs of blood oranges, juice was red and sickly, eyes open from now on, I had never even heard of them before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mmm..I love blood orange juice. Never seen them in Aldi before..must keep a watch for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement