Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Blocks & finishing edge or trim

• 03-05-2006 11:34am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    I have built a wet room "shower door" out of glass blocks. It is 5 blocks wide and 9 high.
    Only one end of the wall is attached to the main wall of the house, this means the othe end is exposed and unfinished.

I would have thought getting a trim would have been easy but this is not the case, place in UK told me that I had to also purchase the blocks of them :rolleyes:

So anyway, any suggestions on what I might do to finish it?
    Maybe a steel plate from floor, I presume that a stainless steel plate up tight against the edge of the block might work?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Would tiles be an option? It would be waterproof and tidy. A piece of stainless steel might be hard to source and cut/bend to size. I came across some metallic looking tiles on one of the tile shop chains if you are after the "steel look".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is a good idea, i never thought of that, I have seen them tiles myself alright, they could make a nice finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would try and get a structural type of edge, that fixes the wall to something solid like the ceiling and floor, to give the wall strength in case anyone fell against it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya CL, I was thinking of that alright, a pole attached to the blocks, floor and ceiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

Yop,

I'd like to see how this turns out. Would you mind posting a picture?

• Advertisement

How about a length of stainless rod? That would provide a rustproof reinforcement. Finish with glass tiles.

tribesman wrote:
    Yop,

I'd like to see how this turns out. Would you mind posting a picture?

That makes 2 of us!! :D

When you say rod you mean something the width of the glass block, that fits in tight to it?

No I mean a 8 or 10mm rod that sits in the middle of the block.
    You could use flat bar but I think it would be more expensive, it would definately want to be stainless though, mild steel will rust and discolour, even galv will break down over time.
    Flat bar will be easier to fix and hide though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

There are companies in the UK that manufacture Acrylic blocks that look exactly the same as the glass ones but lighter. They may have the bits you need. One is called polarlight. Obviously there is a weight issue but the fittings should be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Hi - not sure if this is exactly what u want but I put a wooden frame on the edge of mine.....

• Advertisement

Cian,
    Thats is nice, could you get me a better pic please, hard enough to see!!

What did you do exactly, get a piece timber, shape the sides of it, paint it with gloss paint and glued it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

I have a catalogue for vetroarredo (.com) an italian firm who make finishing kits and modular build kits and supply all sorts of nice glass blocks. I got if off "architectural hardware" who have offices in Dublin, Belf astand Galway (I think - I was in Galway one). They have pvc edge strips for outside or humid areas and also kits for building them.

Not sure of prices and order time/shipping though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

If you are going for PVC then how about a length of square section drain pipe? You'd have to find one as thick as the blocks and put something solid through the centre to make it rigid but it would be easy to clean and it would be cheap.

yop wrote:
    What did you do exactly, get a piece timber, shape the sides of it, paint it with gloss paint and glued it up?

Hi Yop - basically built the frame first then cemented the blocks in place then painted with gloss paint. Took some more pics last night hope they're a bit clearer....Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Looks like a good way to do it Ciaran. How did you start it at the bottom? Did you have a single course of concrete bricks or soapbar that you have tiled up onto from the floor?

Ciaran, thanks for that, I grouted the blocks with a white grout, left a very clean look which you coud do and it would highlight your glass blocks

Yep absolutely...looking back I'm not sure why I went with grey!

dras wrote:
    Looks like a good way to do it Ciaran. How did you start it at the bottom? Did you have a single course of concrete bricks or soapbar that you have tiled up onto from the floor?

Started at the bottom after putting in the shower tray. Then had a single row of concrete blocks followed by the bottom piece of the wooden frame, then the rest of the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emese

Your shower wall looks great, well done! i like the wooden ceiling too!

Would anyone know where i can get some glass blocks - for not too dear?

Advertisement