Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Temp

Options
  • 03-05-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I posted this in Computers and it was suggested that you guys on here woulb be better qualified to help.

I did get a response telling me that the CPU fan should be drawing hot air away from the heatsink rather than pushing cold air onto it, can anyone confirm this?

'Just a quick question, as I am heading up to Peats at lunchtime. Recently get a Athlon 64 3400+ and it appears to be running the stock fan and cooler. Temps at 50 at idle and runs away up over 65 before the system locks up whenever I play anything intensive, even Quake! And this is with the side panel off and cold air coming in through the window. Would lack of thermal paste cause between Cpu and heatsink cause this, or should I be looking at a new fan heatsink. As I said I am heading up to Peats at lunchtime, was gonna just peak up thermal paste, but if anyone has any other ideas. Also, is the CPU fan supposed to flow air onto the CPU/heatsink, or draw hot air away?

Any answers much appreciated!'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

abreviated :-

my 4800 overclcoked idles at 30-35 and 45 on full load with water cooling (bought in peats)........

the processor should be about 25 - 30 idle and 45 -55 on load max, 65 is far too high and may kill your chip!!!!

Max tepms here
    http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

what Board you got?

take out :-

1. remove CPU
    2. Clean off old paste and makesure its spotless
    2. Reapply paste http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db...&sid=1368912x0
    3. firmly place stock fan on cpu.....
    4. fix firmly in place

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Thanks for the answers.

Mods- Sorry for posting this in two places, can the threads me merged? Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Is1ldur wrote:
    I posted this in Computers and it was suggested that you guys on here woulb be better qualified to help.

I did get a response telling me that the CPU fan should be drawing hot air away from the heatsink rather than pushing cold air onto it, can anyone confirm this?

'Just a quick question, as I am heading up to Peats at lunchtime. Recently get a Athlon 64 3400+ and it appears to be running the stock fan and cooler. Temps at 50 at idle and runs away up over 65 before the system locks up whenever I play anything intensive, even Quake! And this is with the side panel off and cold air coming in through the window. Would lack of thermal paste cause between Cpu and heatsink cause this, or should I be looking at a new fan heatsink. As I said I am heading up to Peats at lunchtime, was gonna just peak up thermal paste, but if anyone has any other ideas. Also, is the CPU fan supposed to flow air onto the CPU/heatsink, or draw hot air away?

All my HSF on A64 seem to blow cold air onto the HS, but you could try it differently to see if it makes any difference.

Either too much or too little Thermal paste will hinder heat conduction to the HS. You can check out the Artic Silver site for info on how to apply it properly.

If it an old stock HSF, it could proberly do with a bit of cleaning the dust out of the fan, otherwise id suggest buying a new one and use Artic Silver 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just felt I had to ask, but have you checked to see if the heatsink is clogged with dust. Most people who come to me with crashing problems I whip out the old compressed air and bada bing temps go down around 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Is1ldur wrote:

tbh man 65 isnt that bad, i dont think your pc should be locking at that temp, there might be other problems there, can you hear the cpu fan incresing in speed at very high temps??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

but still a 3400+ shouldn't be idling at 50'c, check your BIOS and see if there is a cutoff temperature which will reset your machine. Are you doing any overclocking? How old is the CPU?

You should always have the fan blowing air onto heatsink imo, as a fans ability to suck air in is drastically decreased if there is anything blocking the intake side, which is why, for airflow, your advised to stay away from fancy grills, which are usually aesthethic but hinder airflow. The same is true for CPU heatsinks, if you try and suck air off the heatsink, the fins will stop the hot air being removed, i'd guess that the air will follow the route of least resistance and be pulled in the side of the heatsink meaning the very bottom of it, the part that gets the hottest will never see any air. Whereas if you blow air down, the air is unhindered coming in and will travel all the way down the fins and out, picking up as much heat as possible.

I was recommended THIS fan for my system by conzymayer. It makes perfect sense as both sides are unblocked, meaning maximum convection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

L31mr0d wrote:

You should always have the fan blowing air onto heatsink imo, as a fans ability to suck air in is drastically decreased if there is anything blocking the intake side, which is why, for airflow, your advised to stay away from fancy grills, which are usually aesthethic but hinder airflow. The same is true for CPU heatsinks, if you try and suck air off the heatsink, the fins will stop the hot air being removed, i'd guess that the air will follow the route of least resistance and be pulled in the side of the heatsink meaning the very bottom of it, the part that gets the hottest will never see any air. Whereas if you blow air down, the air is unhindered coming in and will travel all the way down the fins and out, picking up as much heat as possible.

this is not true
    some sites say have the air being pulled away from the hsf
    because then it is being pulled out the exhaust fan more handy
    if you are blowing down on the hsf then the hot air will be pushed toward the mobo
    TBH the only way to know is for the OP to test the fan going either way
    also, although they are high temps, there is no way they should crash the machine, unless it is set to shutdown at a certian temp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

gline wrote:
    although they are high temps, there is no way they should crash the machine, unless it is set to shutdown at a certian temp
    65 is very high for an Athlon and I've seen default Bios settings that would reset the PC at this temperature. I don't think an Athlon should ever be idling over 50 so something should be done.

A dust problem can be the difference of 4 to 6 degrees by the way - as asked earlier - is your heatsink definitely clear of dust build up?

Advertisement