Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell and Warranty

Options
  • 03-05-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I recently bought a Dell system including a broadband router.
    The router failed and I contacted Dell about a replacement since the system has a one year warranty.
    They explained that the router was made by Belkin and hence I had to take up the warranty issue with them. They gave me UK phone numbers and a web site to contact Belkin.
    My understanding was that the warranty was *always* with the vendor - Dell.
    I checked with consumer affairs people and they agreed with me.
    I complained up the line to Dell and they pointed me to the T&Cs of the deal.
    And indeed in small print it says that the warranty for non-Dell devices must be taken up with the original manufacturer.

Any legal experts out there know if they can change the rules simply by writiing it in the T&Cs?

Ger

P.S. I wonder if the CPU fails to I have to chase Intel??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AFAIK, under the consumer act your warranty is with the seller of the product, otherwise Roches Stores could refuse every product brought back to them. Ask the citizens advice helpline about Dell changing the law in their T+Cs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Call Dell and demand it be replaced and mention that if it aint sorted you wont buy Dell again, i think if you say that they have to try harder to sort you out or at least are suposed to and if they bring up the terms and conditions just say that they are not legal and ask for the supervisor etc. Be a wanker about it only way to get Dell to listen im afraid.

Shops / retailers ARE obliged to take back faulty goods.

A PC store in Ireland tried that **** to get me to send my iriver to iriver until i told him i worked for the company that developed/host their site and quit filling me with poo. He took it back (well actually sent out a new one and never collected the old one which worked 100% just wont charge off mains only usb well until i droped it and now its a 300€ fm tuner HD is wrecked)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Define "failed".
    Has troubleshooting been performed? (I'd imagine Belkin are in a better position to provide this, hence a referral.)

+but yeah, the issue is with the vendor. Law overrides T&C (This should be explicitly stated in T&C)
    -the only exception is that of 'misuse'. It would have to be confirmed that the fault is not due to misuse...it seems a little unfair to expect Dell to troubleshoot the issue. The alternative would presumably be that they take it in and test it,at which point return it (possibly charging for it) or send it to Belkin...

You could use the Small Claims Procedure. Lodging a claim costs approx. €10 (this fee is non-refundable) and you d'ont need a solicitor. Contact the Small Claims Registrar at your District Court - they'll try to reach a satisfactory agreement between you Dell. Otherwise,the matter will be brought before the Court (TBH, it's not worth Dell's time or money to do so...).

The CAI Advice/Information Service can give general advice on purchasing rights - have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Call Dell and demand it be replaced and mention that if it aint sorted you wont buy Dell again, i think if you say that they have to try harder to sort you out or at least are suposed to and if they bring up the terms and conditions just say that they are not legal and ask for the supervisor etc. Be a wanker about it only way to get Dell to listen im afraid.

thats the worst thing you could do. anyone in retail will tell you that when someone's rude to you you lose all interest in helping them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Not when dealing with Dell ... well all i can say is it has always worked for me and Dell are the only ones i ever do it with cos they dont listen to you at all.

I wouldnt act like that to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Thanks for the input folks.
    This is a matter of principle. The router is only worth about €25.
    Think I'll take it up the line in Dell.
    Not rudely, I agree that gets you nowhere.
    But firmly. VERY firmly.
    Ger.

Advertisement