Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating - Again

Options
  • 03-05-2006 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just a small problem with central heating in a new house. I have two motorised valves (Myson) in the hot press. One controls the living area, all OK there. The other controls the bedroom areas but does not seem to be working. The little led is off. I moved the switch from auto to manual and I got heat in the rads.

The question is: Do I have a fualty thermostat in the bedroom area or do I have a faulty valve? How do I rule out one or the other?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be a faulty stat. If it is a two wire stat simply bridge the terminals in the stat with a short piece of wire. If the valve works then you can assume the stat to be faulty. Be sur to disconnect the mains supply to the heating before doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

So if I disconnect the mains, the valve should still operate if I short circuit the stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

No, diconnect the mains before bridging out the stat, and then reconnect the mains. DON'T GO TOUCHING ANYTHING ON THE STAT WHEN THE POWER IS ON.

I was going to reply earlier about your problem, but if you don't know what your doing, it's best to call a sparks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Disconnect mains. Then bridge the stat. Then reconnect the mains and see if the valve works. Once you have deterimned whether or not the valve is working disconnect the mains, remove the bridge and reconnect the mains. Get a new stat if it is faulty. As Doolittle51 stated - if you don't know what your doing, it's best to call a sparks etc. Good advice if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thanks for that, I've a fair idea what I'm at (famous last words;) )but your first reply had me a bit confused. I thought I was missing something.

On second thoughts, I'll get the sparkey back. It's his problem either way, faulty stat or faulty valve controller. I've enough to be doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement