Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal consider legal action against Sunderland's Dan Smith

• 03-05-2006 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, just saw it on tv there, no link for the story yet. It'll probably be on www.skysports.com soon.
    Apparently Arsene Wenger is considering taking legal action against Dan Smith for his tackle on Abou Diaby on monday.
    Has this happened before? I remember that Romanian chap Ganea was threatened with legal action for nearly ending the career of a Celtic full-back (can't remember who)
    So....a bit far? Or a feasible case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody got a clip of the tackle? I was away the weekend and missed most of the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And I suppose England can sue Chelsea over Rooney's break... :) (that'd be fun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was a bad tackle but the fellow was young and kind of lost the head. No need to sue, the romanian guy was different and went for he player. He is still out the last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Does this mean that Diaby's tackle on Campo this season is fair season for a legal case too? :rolleyes:

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Emmo wrote:
    Does this mean that Diaby's tackle in Campon this season is fair season for a legal case too? :rolleyes:

Emmo

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Sorry dont know what I was thinking when I typed that.

Campo was out with a broken foot for 12 weeks this season ( I think ) , he got it playing against Arsenal. Dirty tackle from Diaby did the damage.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wenger whinges yet again, he could make an olympic sport out of it at this rate.

I doubt Arsenal have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I think this is another case of sour grapes from Wenger. Admittedly it was a bad tacke, but there have been a lot of bad tackles this season and many others and if Wenger was to open up a can of worms by bringing about legal action, it could have serios reprecussions for the game of football in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think this is pointless. although it was a very bad tackle, it is still a physical sport. Arsenal would be stupid to pursue this through the courts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Are there actually any quotes to this effect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I Think Wenger must have been watching Dream Team lately - He fancies Dan Smith as a bit of a Liam McKay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

England can sue Chelsea over Rooney's break

Rooney's wasn't a foul.

I think Wenger is a bit ****ed off because Sunderland were losing 3-0,
    last minute of the match and the guy tackles Diaby like that :eek: .
    What was he going to achieve by doing that?
    Ref should have sent him off there and then.
    FA should ban him for a few matches, that might teach him not to do it again.
    Fell sorry for him, missing out on a Champions League Final
    (probably on the bench).

England can sue Chelsea over Rooney's break

Rooney's wasn't a foul.

I think Wenger is a bit ****ed off because Sunderland were losing 3-0,
    last minute of the match and the guy tackles Diaby like that :eek: .
    What was he going to achieve by doing that?
    Ref should have sent him off there and then.
    FA should ban him for a few matches, that might teach him not to do it again.
    Feel sorry Diaby, missing out on a Champions League Final
    (probably on the bench).

okidoki987 wrote:
    Feel sorry Diaby, missing out on a Champions League Final (probably on the bench).
    On the bench with a broken ankle? Somehow I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

''I felt having watched it again that there was bad intention in there and I will take legal advice to take this case further."

I believe wenger is talking about taking legal action in trying to get some sort of ban for diaby, not take him to court for assault which seems to be the attitude here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

I think he's suggesting Diaby would have only made it to the bench if fit and wouldn't have started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Nobody likes to see a player get a bad injury but if you set a precedent with regards to legal action i could see it getting totally out of hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BaZmO* wrote:
    Anybody got a clip of the tackle? I was away the weekend and missed most of the football.
    http://xs100.xs.to/xs100/06181/Diaby_injury_1.gif
    http://xs100.xs.to/xs100/06181/Diaby_injury_2.gif

http://download.yousendit.com/3FF926307EBF6671

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ardent wrote:
    Wenger whinges yet again, he could make an olympic sport out of it at this rate.

I doubt Arsenal have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun).
    Well Diaby certainly doesn't! :(

0,,2006200713,00.jpg

I was phucking raging at the end of that game on Monday, the Sky commentators just dismissed the tackle, when it was plain as day to see Diaby's foot basically hanging off at an angle that feet do not go. Arseblogger put it well:
    It’s also worth pointing out that in circumstances like this Sky TV could do a lot more. Alan Smith was almost dismissive of the incident, saying “These things always look worse in slow motion” but that tackle was horrific in real time. They could do a lot better in highlighting shocking challenges like that than replaying nothing incidents time and time again in order to create headlines and we’ve come not to expect Alan Smith to show any Arsenal colours but he was as limp as any pundit I’ve ever seen last night. If a guy makes a horrible tackle which is nowhere near the ball and badly injures his opponent just ****ing say it, you ****.
    Anyway, I'd put money on Wenger not taking any action on this, he's just talking to put some more media attention on the tackle.

• Advertisement

I think he's suggesting Diaby would have only made it to the bench if fit and wouldn't have started.

Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Dislocated and fractured ankle, is this not the exact injury that Alan Smith suffered against Liverpool? They seemed to be concerned for his career, whereas they are saying Diaby is just going to be out for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

was`nt that bad of a tackle imo,a booking at most

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

county wrote:
    was`nt that bad of a tackle imo,a booking at most
    http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006200713,00.jpg

If that is a yellow card, what does one have to do to get a red card? Decapitate their opponent with a rusty axe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

One of the worst tackles I have seen in a long time.

A classic example of a straight red card.

For **** sake he almost took off his ankle!!

I agree with Pepe. Wenger wont take any action but is just highlighting the incident in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have seen alot worse this season. Its just unfortunate that this one actually did serious damage.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I Think Wenger must have been watching Dream Team lately - He fancies Dan Smith as a bit of a Liam McKay :D

So I am not the only sad person on here that watches Dream Team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was a poorly timed , rash lunge. Hardly anything to be up in arms about. It's proof that football is turnig into a sport for small girls. If this had happened 20 years ago, he would have gotten up, tried his best to walk off without limping and quietly missed the rest of the season. Now its a national disgrace.

Has wenger ever offered to seek legal advice against any of his own players? What about Bergkamp ? I seem to remember a couple of stamping incidents over the years, he wasnt so forthcoming then, to what would amount to assault if it was on the street. I'm sure it wouldnt be hard , with access to the sky archives, to come up with some Arsenal video nasties. But of course Arsene is always conveiently looking the other way when anything liek that happens.

Stekelly wrote:
    Has wenger ever offered to seek legal advice against any of his own players? What about Bergkamp ? I seem to remember a couple of stamping incidents over the years, he wasnt so forthcoming then, to what would amount to assault if it was on the street. I'm sure it wouldnt be hard , with access to the sky archives, to come up with some Arsenal video nasties. But of course Arsene is always conveiently looking the other way when anything liek that happens.
    Or Fabregas at the beginning of the season and Flamini recently.

Thanks for the clips EB. When I was reading all the fuss over the tackle I thought it was gonna be the worst tackle I had ever seen and tbh it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone (strangley enough mainly Arsenal supporters) are making it out to be.

• Advertisement

I was expecting to see a lot worse too. It certainly doesn't seem intentional and, as already said, it's one of those tackles we see week in week out in the Premiership. Unfortunately, this time damage actually occurred.

Legal action me bollix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The tackle was bad but there have been worse this season, Essiens tackles for example. To seek legal advice is just stupid because it wont get anywhere. Its a contact sport and things like this will happen. Arsenal would have to prove beyond doubt that Smith intended to break Diabys ankle. Thats not gonna be possible. Very bad tackle but certainly not the worst this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I bet Diabys wife isn't as hot as McKays though.....gutted that Casper Rose was killed off....he was the perfect replacement for Karl Fletcher and livened up the show a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wenger is just Whinging again. The tackle was high and badly timed but there did not appear to be any bad intent. It certainy does not court action.

Thanks for the links Eirebhoy I hadn't seen it either.

The Muppet wrote:
    Thanks for the links Eirebhoy I hadn't seen it either.

I'll second that.

God bless this interweb thing, where not only can I hear about a key incident in the Premiership and talk about it but I can also get to see it too. Cool. :D

Advertisement