Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten fillings? Price query.

• 03-05-2006 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Just back from the dentist and am not a happy bunny.

Having taken about five different xrays I was told that I need ten fillings, two wisdom teeth taken out and a tooth removed or root canaled filled and crowned......

Now the Wisdom teeth issue is fair enough from the xrays it is obvious that they will push in my teeth etc. Is 500 euro a tooth normal price for this procedure?

As for the ten teeth that need fillings i find this absolutely ridiculous, I take care of my teeth, granted I do drink a lot of fizzy drinks, but I cant see how i need ten fillings, I can feel maybe two teeth that have holes in them!
    Now she said that it would be 100e per filling and wants to do it over five different appointments.
    This immediately set off alarm bells as I feel that having five appointments with her as opposed to maybe two is giving her another 165 euro.

Can someone please tell me if these prices are the norm? 100e per filling?

I'm already thinking about getting a second opinion but to be honest I don't want to be stuck paying 60 odd euro to get someone to have a look at my teeth, can anyone reccommend a cheaper way of getting this done?

regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

A lot of people go up north to get the job done - or abroad to places like Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Doolittle51

Well here's what i have to offer:

€100 a filling sounds expensive. Do you pay PRSI?
    I got a filling last week, which cost me €36.

And you shouldn't be paying a fee everytime you see your dentist. If you book a session to get 5 fillings, you should only pay for 5 fillings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

No I'm a full time student without a part time job so I don't.

As for going up north my mam did that in relation to getting a root canal and crown done and the dentist up there reffered her back down here saying the prices are more or less the same, prague may be another kettle of fish altogether cheers for the quick replys and keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

poland is also supposed to be cheap for dentistry work.
    shoutman wrote:
    As for the ten teeth that need fillings i find this absolutely ridiculous, I take care of my teeth, granted I do drink a lot of fizzy drinks, but I cant see how i need ten fillings

i was the same. acid erosion is often worse.

i also did/do "take care" or my teeth and i had to have 7 fillings at one stage.

then dentist should be able to tell you if this is due to acid however.

€100 per filling does sound a bit much. what dentist did you go to?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

shoutman wrote:
    Can someone please tell me if these prices are the norm? 100e per filling?

What kind of fillings and where does your dentist say you need them? A composite (white) filling is generally more expensive than amalgam afaik but €100 sounds very steep either way. I got a composite filling in a back tooth last week and it cost me €70 - that's before claiming tax back. A metal one would have cost me €50. I think you should get a second opinion.

And, as had been mentioned before - you should only be paying for the treatments, not the appointments as well.

• Advertisement

The dentist is on the Malahide road, she is working with another dentist and is new to the office as far as i know. She said that it was due to too much sugar and I have no idea what kind of Fillings they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

That is a LOT of dental work. I would go for a second opinion if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

You'd be amazed just how much sugar is in fizzy drinks. My dentist told me last year "You must eat a lot of sweet things" from looking at my teeth, but in actual fact the culprit was FRUIT JUICE! Even though I brush twice a day and floss, she could still see evidence of erosion/plaque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Fizzy drinks are liquid tooth decay. If you drink lots be glad you only need ten fillings. By all means get a second opinion ( although a dentist that takes 5 x-rays sounds pretty diligent to me). 100 euro per filling sounds about right...fillings increase in cost with the size and complexity so direct comparison with other peoples cost is pointless Some people get PRSI benefit which subsidises their dental work so dont be fooled by " I got a filling for 50 pence" and the like. Remember as I always say here...you will get what you pay for. A filling done poorly will cost tens times as much than getting it done correctly in the first place. Ensure your dentist is giving you good treatment this means lots of TIME ( and hence usually increased cost). Quality dentistry takes time no matter who or where you are. Getting the whole bunch done in one sitting on the cheap may be inadvisable. Its you mouth and your teeth and your money try to make an informed decision.
    Good luck and knock the coke on the head.

Fizzy drinks are liquid tooth decay. If you drink lots be glad you only need ten fillings. By all means get a second opinion ( although a dentist that takes 5 x-rays sounds pretty diligent to me). 100 euro per filling sounds about right...fillings increase in cost with the size and complexity so direct comparison with other peoples cost is pointless Some people get PRSI benefit which subsidises their dental work so dont be fooled by " I got a filling for 50 pence" and the like. Remember as I always say here...you will get what you pay for. A filling done poorly will cost tens times as much than getting it done correctly in the first place. Ensure your dentist is giving you good treatment this means lots of TIME ( and hence usually increased cost). Quality dentistry takes time no matter who or where you are. Getting the whole bunch done in one sitting on the cheap may be inadvisable. Its you mouth and your teeth and your money try to make an informed decision.
    Good luck and knock the coke on the head.

Thanks for the post, do you know if there is anyway being a student that I am, can I get some sort of a discount or government grant or something? (I know this may sound stupid but it is worth a try....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

you could try the Dublin Dental Hospital....your dentist could refer you or you could put you name on the waiting list yourself by walking in and asking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement