Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The I.R.A by Tim Pat Coogan

Options
  • 03-05-2006 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm just about to start the book in the title of this thread. It's the revised and updated paperback version which was released in 2000. It's quite a big book and I'm hoping it will give me some insight into Irish history and how members of the I.R.A thought back in the 60s. Hopefully by the end of the book I will be able to see how their views may have changed or warped somewhat. Anyway, has anyone read this book? If so, what did you like/dislike about it?

Thanks for your time folks,

Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I read it a few years ago when I was in hospital, its really good. I love TPC..

I see he has a new[ish] book out, about Ireland in the 20th Century. It could be well old, but I saw it for the first time in an airport the other day. I must pick that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Cheers mate. I'm enjoying it so far. He sure is a skilled writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I might give this a read during the summer... I've heard alot about TPC but have never read anythin by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm about half-way through the later edition.

On the whole, it's a pretty good, well researched and comprehensive work.

However, TPC's own slightly-pro 'RA bias comes across a lot in the book. I can't blame him for that, given his background, but for me the lack of impartiality stops it from being the definitive historical sourcebook on its subject.

Advertisement