Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ software - who's using what and why?

• 03-05-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Just wondering seeing as the DJ Forum is going nowhere fast, and this seems the most appropriate place to post - are there any DJs on here using software for mixing MP3s, and if so what? (I know this has been posted already, but wanted an update as the new versions of the software are pretty recent).

I'm looking into it at the moment, specifically Ableton, Virtual DJ, Traktor, and PCDJ.

First off Ableton, wow, frightened the sh*t out of me trying to use it! Looks like it's far and away the most comprehensive, but with the steep learning curve it's scary, plus it looks more like a production/recording tool that for DJing, in my first-glance opinion anyway.

Virtual DJ looks like a bit of craic with having turntables there to watch, but also a bit lightweight, although that said the skins make it look a bit better.

Traktor and PCDJ - I've only looked at the websites, but will have a blast with them over the weekend hopefully, they both look pretty professional and more like what I'd be after.

Also, are 2 soundcards necessary - 1 for master output and 1 for headphones??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Traktor is fairly good. it works well when used as a third deck anyway.

i'm at the same stage as you with Ableton, seems like a very hard program to suss out if you approach it from a vinyl mixing viewpoint.
    i managed to get a bit of a jam going the other day though, so i reckon i'll stick with it... i reckon it would definitely be worth getting some kind of midi controller for it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Ableton looks hard at first but it is very easy once you understand the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Am I not right in saying though that Ableton is more aimed at production? It seems to take a lot of the fun out of DJing, I dunno, I know the likes of Sasha uses it and allegedly has his own custom built interface, but the others look a bit more aimed at the DJ who's coming from either a vinyl or cd background, rather than from the music production background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I think Traktor is a good balance of features, especially coming from a Vinyl background. I find ableton too overwhelming just to throw out a mix while I have the time, Although Im gonna stick with it and see what all the fuss is about, anyone have links to a good run through of the basics? I also find Traktor will run on quite a basic laptop.

S.

PS. You dont need a second sound card, you can assign the outputs aslong as you have more than one output (5.1 etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Personally I recommend Virtual DJ, that's what I use at the moment along with my new cdjs and a mixer. Pretty easy to get the hand of and if you get the Pioneer cdj200 skin to put on it it gives you so much more features than you would think possible from looking at the basic default skin, which I think looks rubbish personally and doesn't do the software justice. Also if you buy the program you get free updates and tech support. There's lots of new controllers coming out for it and you can also use it with any external mixer and timecoded vinyl or timecoded cds. Check out the forums on www.virtualdj.com the new version 4 is out very soon and promise loads of improvements including a much better master tempo which is one of it's current weaknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I use Traktor, alone or with my Technics - does the job nicely, good layout etc. Can see myself becoming an Abelton convert in the near future though. I am using 2 soundcards.

PS. You dont need a second sound card, you can assign the outputs aslong as you have more than one output (5.1 etc).
    Not quite sure on this one, it's a Dell Dimension with a basic soundcard - SoundMax or something - how would I find this out?
    Was thinking of buying a second external USB one, so that I could hook it up to the laptop if I needed it for a party.

Kolodny wrote:
    I am using 2 soundcards.
    Is one of these a USB one? Could you recommend?

joker77 wrote:
    Is one of these a USB one? Could you recommend?

For Windows, it's better to use one multiple output soundcard.

Kolodny wrote:
    For Windows, it's better to use one multiple output soundcard.
    Not quite sure what you mean by that one?

• Advertisement

I just mean, that would be more straightforward if you can do it. I only have 2 fairly old sh*tty soundcards so could only do it this way to have a seperate monitor. It's not impossible, but I found it a pain in the arse to set up. Had to install Asio X to get it to work (and even then the sound isn't that great from headphones). I'm getting a new laptop soon and I plan to do it differently this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Giles wrote:
    Personally I recommend Virtual DJ, that's what I use at the moment along with my new cdjs and a mixer. Pretty easy to get the hand of and if you get the Pioneer cdj200 skin to put on it it gives you so much more features than you would think possible from looking at the basic default skin, which I think looks rubbish personally and doesn't do the software justice. Also if you buy the program you get free updates and tech support. There's lots of new controllers coming out for it and you can also use it with any external mixer and timecoded vinyl or timecoded cds. Check out the forums on www.virtualdj.com the new version 4 is out very soon and promise loads of improvements including a much better master tempo which is one of it's current weaknesses.

Indeed ive used virual dj before and was impressed i must download it again

Kolodny wrote:
    I just mean, that would be more straightforward if you can do it. I only have 2 fairly old sh*tty soundcards so could only do it this way to have a seperate monitor. It's not impossible, but I found it a pain in the arse to set up. Had to install Asio X to get it to work (and even then the sound isn't that great from headphones). I'm getting a new laptop soon and I plan to do it differently this time :)
    The soundcard I have is about 3 years old so not sure if it'll be good enough for what I need yet (as in master + phones on it's own), will check it out at the weekend. I was thinking of getting a cheap USB one to use as the master output, then use the internal one for the headphones. Anyone know anything about either of these:

SoundBlaster Live USB

Aureon USB

Advertisement