Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips on selling cars

Options
  • 03-05-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Just a couple of questions for all ye regular sellers out there:

How long on average does it take you to sell a car, between putting it up for sale on a website or paper and the transaction placed?

What sites do you think are best for selling cars in ireland. all i know so far is motornet.ie?

Do you normally get the money you asked for originally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

carzone.ie/cbg.ie

I found my current car through carzone. Have not sold a car yet (traded my old one in to the dealer), but I sold my bike privately. Took about 3 months to shift it.

You most likely won't get your asking price unless its a good bit cheaper than the going rate, but that's the nature of selling cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For Gods sake when you put the ad together put in every last detail you can think of that will shift your car, the number of half-assed ads is maddening! :mad: Put the full spec in include VRT/Tax, state the milage, is an auto or manual, colour, alloys etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Price it at a realistic level - we all think our car is worth loads but in reality its only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

Valet it - in the last 4/5 weeks of looking, its staggering how many cars you see are utterly filthy, inside and out. No effort made. Its one way of discouraging potential buyers - first impressions last.

Choose your medium - for a budget / first car, B&S. For mid-range cars, CBG & Carzone.ie - Independent newspapers. If its a prestige car, don't forget the likes of the Irish Times - which the people who'll buy that sort of car tend to read (all stereotypes aside). All cars should go into the likes of adverts.ie, boards.ie. Often local papers too.

Using the above basics, I've sold two cars, both to the first person who called. Remember a sale at a lower price is better than no sale at a higher price.

Advertisement