Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla 1.6 G6R

Options
  • 03-05-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hey was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on the mentioned car...

I was wondering up until what date they were made I found some information saying that they were made up until 1999 but I found a 2001 one for sale on autotrader.ie

Toyota Corolla G6R - Autotrader.ie

Also would appreciatte any helpfull information on whether there a good car? reliable? also are they loaded on insurance? and can anyone tell me what horsepower there supposed to have?

needless to say, I'm no good at using google :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Made from '97 to '01, 109bhp, but it is very light, so decent acceleration 0-100km/h in about 10 seconds. Dunno if it's going to be loaded insurance wise. The G6R pretty much only adds skirts/spoilers and a 6-speed box compared to a standard SR with same engine

It's a Toyota, so should be reliable. If it's an import, check for signs of clocking

Finally, €11.5k seems very expensive for a 5 year old small family hatch, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ok thanks, am just looking at them in general

wouldnt mind one of them or a bmw 316

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you selling a focus to buy that? i wouldnt bother

Cyrus wrote:
    you selling a focus to buy that? i wouldnt bother

why not?

boring looking hatch, poor interior, hardly handles any better than the focus and doubt its much faster (especially if u got say a 1.6ltr focus in nice collection trim)

• Advertisement

nope only have a bog standard 1.4 focus, looking for something with a 1.6 engine around the 100bhp area

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I can remember. in Ireland they did a G6 with the 1.3 engine. had a 6 disc changer, six spoke alloys and a six speed gearbox

UK G6R models were loaded with stuff, 1.6 engine, electric sunroof, aircon Leather seats and uprated brakes.

ah dont be teasing me with the golf's there lovely but just a bit above my budget.

have about €13000-€14000 to play with.

nice focus too the black one especially but I dont like the zetec front bumper with the round fog lights.

what horsepower does the 1.6 golf and focus put out?

colm_mcm wrote:
    UK G6R models were loaded with stuff, 1.6 engine, electric sunroof, aircon Leather seats and uprated brakes.

nice, am goin over to the uk to look for cars in the summer if i dont get what i want here

• Advertisement

last golf is within budget and has full gti spec as far as i can see, low mileage too

both would be puttin out circa 105-115bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I remember wanting one when they first came out. I was only 11. If memory serves correct they only came in black red and silver. It will certainly be a 6 speed gearbox as advertised. hence G6. Just make sure it's not a 5 speed with a 6 speed knob on it. There were very few of these cars sold here, and i would wonder why someone would put non standard Alloys and wing mirrors on a factory performance car if they have an appreciation of things.

Here are a few more examples Watch out for ones with dodgy badging. I am gutted at my research as I see no reason that Toyota would have tagged a 6 speed on a 1.3.

1.3 G6 Cork

1.6l 00 SR/G6 Limerick

Totally Oroginal"... Take a look at the alloys

Things like totally original when there are incorrect spec markings or non standard (not even manufacturer) alloys on the car are a pet peeve of mine.

Toyotas are notoriously bad for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What about a Toyota Corolla T-Sport it's 1.8 and 190bhp.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    What about a Toyota Corolla T-Sport it's 1.8 and 190bhp.

if only, there lovely cars

unfortunatly insurance restricts me to 1.6 and around 100 bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€11,500 is an awful lot form a 01 Corolla. even a nice one like that G6R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

ninty9er wrote:
    I am gutted at my research as I see no reason that Toyota would have tagged a 6 speed on a 1.3.

1.3 G6 Cork

Firstly - 9700 for a 98,private sale? :eek: No thanks.
    Secondly - saw one a few weeks and almost crawled under the car and up under the bonnet to confirm that I was actually looking at a 6 speed 1.3. I remember being so confused by the idea of it.

To the OP, if you're limited to 1.6 and you want a corolla variant, why not a 20 valve import (corolla or levin coupe)? Yes, you will most likely be spanked senseless for insurance. And everyone will think you're a first year apprentice electrician or plumber. Which may or may not be your thing!

yeh a levin type car appealled to me at first but gone off the idea of them completely because as you say they are associatted with fas college type's, not my style.

would like to keep it to a hatchback style car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cyrus wrote:
    boring looking hatch, poor interior, hardly handles any better than the focus and doubt its much faster (especially if u got say a 1.6ltr focus in nice collection trim)

Well in fairness the 1.4 MkI Focus is hardly spectacular either and the interior is only slightly better quality than the Corolla of that time. Yes the Focus is the better handling car but would you really notice it alot in a 1.4 (80bhp) or 1.6 (100bhp) version? If my memory services me right the Golf MkIV was not known for it's great handling either. Imho not any one of these cars stand out as being particularly better than the rest.

To OP, the best place to pick up one of those G6Rs is in the UK as they were very popular there, should be plenty of nice clean examples to choose from and alot cheaper than anything available here. Just make sure to have it checked out properly first especially if there are any modifications done under the bonnet.

and is this corolla a good handling car?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    and is this corolla a good handling car?

I never claimed it was to be honest. Wasn't having a go at you btw. It's just it seems everytime the Corolla or Toyota in general are mentioned in a thread it usually ends up with the "boring" or "put me to sleep" statements start appearing. A bit like the "don't touch an Alfa Romeo" threads.

Anyway this is starting to go off topic.

sorry i wasnt having a go either i was just wondering,

the focus is supposed to handle very well thats all, and while the mkiv golf isnt class leading its not bad and the highline spec cars ive linked would be miles ahead in terms of comfort and interior spec vs the focus or toyota, also i think a 6 speed box in an underpowered engine is merely a gimmick

yeh one problem i have is dealing with cars that dont handle as well as the focus, its handles very very good also the corolla seems to have terrible rear passenger seats, lack of room.

1.6 focus looks like the best option so far, that or if i can find a 316 with low enough mileage

draffodx wrote:
    yeh one problem i have is dealing with cars that dont handle as well as the focus, its handles very very good also the corolla seems to have terrible rear passenger seats, lack of room.

1.6 focus looks like the best option so far, that or if i can find a 316 with low enough mileage

The 1999 - 2005 BMW 316i has a 1.9 litre petrol engine.

bazz26 wrote:

yeh i know but it only puts out 102 bhp so its the same cost on insurance as a 1.6

draffodx wrote:
    yeh i know but it only puts out 102 bhp so its the same cost on insurance as a 1.6

102bhp from a 1.9 petrol engine is disgraceful. :eek:

Personnally I would not pay the additional road tax for a 1.9 engine that will give no benefit in performance over most 1.6 engines.

The 1.6 engine in the Corolla G6R has 110bhp afaik.

yeh i believe its in the region of 102 - 105 bhp i could be wrong, never really thought about the extra cost in tax, it would be a serious amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The difference in tax btween a 1.9 and 1.6 is 511 - 391. 100 quid or so.

The G6 seems very expensive for little power? 105 or so from a car that goes out of its way to have a sporty badge? Sure most 1.6petrols will have 100horsepower approx, why pay extra insurance for a corolla G6 when you could just get a non-sporty badged 1.6 with similar power.
    110Hp isnt an awful lot anyways. My 1.6civic coupe has 105horses and looks better than a G6 in my opinion.

Can you insure a vtec anyway handy? If you can, definitely get a vtec, it`d piss all over a G6, similar reliability, maybe better. That or a levin or the old 2ov corolla that were sold here even. Them G6`s dont justify their high price, there neither performance or sporty.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:

OP doesn't seem to be looking for a saloon, so within his budget we're talking E36 coupe rather than E46 saloon. The E36 coupe 316 is indeed a 1.6 liter ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    OP doesn't seem to be looking for a saloon, so within his budget we're talking E36 coupe rather than E46 saloon. The E36 coupe 316 is indeed a 1.6 liter ;)

Didn't the run out model of the E36 316i coupe have the 1.9 litre engine from the E46 316i saloon? I thought I have seen a few 1999 316i E36 coupes with the 1.9 engine.

Advertisement