Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Woes.

• 03-05-2006 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I moved into a band new flash apartment block recently on the northside of Dublin close to the city centre, immediately afterwards I signed up for smart. They processed my details and I got a letter a week later saying they would have me conencted within 2 weeks. Two weeks passed and I received a letter in the post, from smart saying Eircom had rejected smarts application for a line because my address was incorrect. However smart still sent me a letter to my 'wrong address' (which I got) telling me my address was wrong, slightly amused at this I rang them to try to fix the problem, after a short chat it was establised that that I should have written 'The *Buiding' instead of 'Building *'. So smart resent in the application.
    3 more weeks pass and no word, so I ring smart for an update, apparently eircom had refused a phoneline in my building for line quality reasons ? The support person in smart seemed slightly unsure exactly why but assured me that they had refused eircoms explanation and had already resent the request, and would get back to me as soon as they had an update.
    2 weeks pass, no word. So today I rang them, only to find out that Eircom had again refused my application due to them not knowing my address. Somewhat frustrated, I ring eircom and ask them if I can have internets, to which they reply,
    <eircom dude>"yes *blah *blah what address",
    <me> i reply with my address.
    *1 minute pause
    <eircom head>"Yes certainly we have your address down as $(what I told smart the first time)"
    <eircom head> we will cahrge you 120 yoyos for initial installation, and a 22 yoyo fee every month after that for line rental, internets is then an additional 30 something yoyo's
    <me>yeah ok, whatever (and I hang up)

so I ring back smart and they tell me, they will reprocess my application and put it down as high priority.

what im wondering is

WTF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Its called a monopoly....!!!

Believe me eircom love playing cat&mouse with potential Smart customers!!!

Get in contact with Dempsey(?) and see if he gives a fcuk.....highly doubtfull!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure Eircom don't sign you up on the basis of that phone call - seriously.

'Yeah whatever' to Biddy is along the lines of 'I am bending over now, do with me what you will, big boy'.

Don't forget to pay through the nose for it too.
    :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Might be worth emailing Comreg with the details of Eircom's alleged behaviour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

dub45 wrote:
    Might be worth emailing Comreg with the details of Eircom's alleged behaviour...
    You'd get further e-mailing Santa. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Yeah, I was thinking of going into them myself, but I'm not sure it would do any good.
    tbh all I want is a decent Internet connection that won't cost me my pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

You'd get further e-mailing Santa

But Santa exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

zuma wrote:
    Its called a monopoly....!!!

Believe me eircom love playing cat&mouse with potential Smart customers!!!

Get in contact with Dempsey(?) and see if he gives a fcuk.....highly doubtfull!!!

whose Dempsey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Noel "dial-up" Dempsey, Minister for communications (ha!), www.noeldempsey.ie

Anyway, I don't think you're the only one in this boat. A friend on mine in Limerick had a very similar story with Smart and Eircom. His house already has an Eircom line installed, but it was never activated. So he rang Smart and they said no problem to activate it. He received his modem and was just waiting for the line to be switched on. A few weeks pass and Eircom reject the order as his address is wrong. Smart re-apply but eircom reject again, this time they say they didn't receive his eircom account number! It's gone through again now on priority and was supposed to go live yesterday but I haven't heard if it did.

I don't know if it's Smart or Eircom acting the prick but one of them certainly is. Having had no dealings with Smart but enough with Eircom I'm guessing the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Sign up with Eircon, for phoneline only. once you have dialtone then go to Smart and start their process, this time armed with an Eircon A/C number and using the address exactly as printed on your phone bill.

Advertisement