Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curly hair stylist

• 03-05-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a hair stylist in dublin who is good with curly hair?
    I got my hair cut recently in a salon in Navan,
    I normally get my hair cut there,
    the girl usually does a really good job, but this time she messed it up.
    It was a saturday and i think she was hungover and she was probably run off her feet,
    So i went back to see the following week if she could fix it, as i trusted her, But its worse now.
    I don't know whether to go back to her again and get her to fix it again
    or
    just cut my losses and find a new stylist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Hey eefy,

I too share your torment of finding a hairdresser that can deal with curly. None of them truly understand that it is different to straight hair. Also, they will try to make you believe they understand curly hair when they are truly lying.

I was in Toni and Guy on Dame St there a couple of years ago where they truly know the art of lying. I was told they understood curly hair and would cut it to suit but in actual fact they didn't have a clue what they were doing and cut my hair to the style of the moment which did not suit curly hair. So I'd advise against them.

I live in Dublin but always go down to Cork to get my hair done by a hairdresser I've been going to for a few years now. She does a nice job and listens to me. It's a bit of a miracle really. :-)

I was fascinated by this website www.ouidad.com. It's a shame they don't have a salon over here.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh and what did she do to ruin it and I might be able to suggest a solution?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

Hi A,

Thanks for the heads up on Toni & Guy!

the layers are too long at the bottom, its really thick at the ends it needs to be thinned out,
    the top is ok but as the layers are too long at the bottom its kinda doing a mullet thing,
    i have to wash it every morning or its scary.
    I've had this experience before and ended up with much shorter hair than i wanted,
    One stylist actually wanted to cut a fringe in my hair one time! She kept tutting and sighing while cutting my hair, she was really annoyed that i wouldn't let her do what she wanted. It was a couple of years ago when every second girl had a fringe. I would have looked like a freak!!!!

eefy wrote:
    it needs to be thinned out,
    I'm crying a little on the inside. Curly hair should NEVER be thinned out. It makes for a terrible cut. What type of curls do you have? Are they tight curls, loose curls or afro curls? My hair is tight curly but my hair is quite fine but there is just lots of it there.
    the top is ok but as the layers are too long at the bottom its kinda doing a mullet thing,
    This is the cut that Toni and Guy that I got.
    i have to wash it every morning or its scary.
    If you mean by wash that you use shampoo on it every morning then this is a BIG no, no. Wet it every morning with just water to regenerate curls. I only wash my hair, i.e use shampoo, at most twice a week.
    One stylist actually wanted to cut a fringe in my hair one time! She kept tutting and sighing while cutting my hair
    This is not surprising. This is more of the "sure curly hair is the same as straight hair malarky. Sure a fringe on a curly haired person would look daft altogether.

Ok, what I'd advise is the following.

1. Head to a hairdresser and spend 5mins before you let them near your hair explaining the fact that an inch on your hair is truly two+ inches when it dries. Be VERY clear, to the point and place heavy emphasis on this. If you can see by the hairdresser that they are not getting you or not listening LEAVE or they will make a worse job again on your hair.

2. Advise the hairdresser that you just want the lower layers cut as they are too long. Tell them you do not want the top layers cuts.

3. Ask them to twist dry your hair. This will give the curls way more definition. If they don't know what you are talking about then walk away. Allow it to dry naturally after the twist dry and then shake out when dry for truly lovely curls.

For all curly girls and guys, some tips and products I find great:
    1. Do NOT brush your hair. Ok this sounds daft but it's how I discovered I had curls. I spent 13yrs of my life brushing my hair. It was a mass of fuzz and the only thing I could do with it was tie it back. I stopped brushing it and I now have lovely curly hair. ONLY, brush your hair using your fingers while you are in the shower and have conditioner in your hair. This is less likely to cause your hair to break off and is much faster than trying to brush it the ordinary way.
    2. Umberto Giannini Urgent Repair Intensive Moisture Mask http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYRLB6/102-9255448-3830565?v=glance&n=3760901This can be hard to find but it does AMAZING things for my hair. My hair turns into this beautiful, soft, shiny and bouncy hair.
    3. Shockwaves Curl Boosting Spray http://www.wella.co.uk/pages/Home-ConsumerProducts-Shockwaves-TheRange-CurlBoostingSpray I've just started using this and it's great.
    4. Shockwaves Hair Gel is great for helping define curls. I don't use this as much anymore since I purchased number 2.

Ok, I can't think of anymore right now I hope the above will help.
    A.

Hi A,

When i said "thinned out" i suppose i meant it needs more layers
    Its cut too straight across the bottom.

No I don't wash it every day i just wet it it the shower, but i don't want to do that everyday
    i only wash it twice a week as it would just be too frizzy otherwise
    and i NEVER brush my hair either.
    I like you only discovered my curls when i was 12.

My hair is a medium curl, fine enough hair but lots of it.

I think i'm gonna just tie it back for a while then tackle it when its grown a bit more.

the products i find best for my hair are the Tigi Catwalk range for curls, They have a product called 'curl amplifier', its a cream, you only need a pea sized amount run through wet hair so even though its expensive it lasts for ages, i bought some at christmas and there's still loads left.

Thank a mill for your advise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I have this exact problem too - in fact, it's almost a joke with my family that they can always tell when i've had my hair cut because I have to wear it straight for a couple of weeks until it grows long enough again to wear it curly. On saturday i got my hair cut in House of Colour, and I patiently explained to the girl cutting my hair that it was extremely important that she barely trim the top layers because i am trying to grow out the layers (not completely but right now there is a 4-inch difference between the shortest layer and the longest - my head looks like a mushroom if I curl my hair right now, it's so upsetting!!) She still cut the layers more than I wanted - and i am still wearing my hair straight this week, because she gave me a really nice cut for STRAIGHT HAIR!! My hair has always been best when it has very slight layers in it - max. an inch and a half difference between the layer lengths.

I always have problems with hair-dressers thinning out my hair. I have come to the conclusion that they insist on it because by the time it gets to the end of the hair cut they have realised how thick my hair is, and they are trying to remove some of it so there's less to dry!! One hairdresser even spoke to me as though she was talking to a naughty child explaining how "feathering" was vital to curly hair to remove the weight at the end so that the hair curls properly. I learnt my lesson after that one - I spent 2-3 months with the driest frizziest hair I have ever experienced. The ends of each curl were all fuzzy. Now I insist that the hairdressers leave the ends thick, because for my type of curly hair, the curls work best with that.

I think half the problem is that hairdressers think that because they know how to treat one type of curly hair, they know how to treat them all. A friend of mine has curly hair too, but because her curls are tighter, what works for her doesn't work for me...

BTW - I was 16 before I discovered my curls, but it took a year before I figured out how to control them! Now, I find Frizz-ease curl reviver mousse the best on the market for giving me great curls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So glad I read this thread girls, I've curly hair too which was totally frizzy when I was a kid (disastrous!) and I only started wearing it curly when I was about 22 :eek:
    I only trust one hairdresser to cut it as she always does a good job but since not one of them know how to dry curly properly I always get them to blow dry it straight (I can't do it myself!)
    Have always been trying different products for curly hair so I will try that Shockwaves Curl boosting spray..i think I may have had it before actually!

The best I ever found was a Citre Shine gel for curly hair, but I don;t think they do it anymore can never find it in Boots. The mousse version is not as good.

Btw I only use a perm comb on my hair after a shower it allows the curls to stay in but still gets rid of knots :D

Hi Maimee
    Where do you get your hair cut? And who does it for you?

Unfortunately straight hair looks awful on me so i usually get put under one of those lamps with a tonne of mousse crap in my hair and with the combination of the heat and the mousse, its a disaster!
    I'd love to leave with my hair still wet but they never let you do that.
    Sometimes i'm sure i see people looking at me funny on the way out, like they're thinking 'Is she seriously going out in public like that'
    I usually go straight home after i get my hair cut and wash it again myself to get the crap out and apply some of my own product!

I'm glad i started this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

hah this thread is deadly! Practically everything that has been said is something I can relate to so well

-the difficulty in finding hairdresser in the first place
    -the "I know what I'm doing, jesus-sake" attitude from the hairdresser
    -the cutting of the top layers into oblivion
    -not discovering that I had curls til I was in my teens !

The last made me laugh. My hair is quite silky, even though it's curly, so if I was to brush it out, it's just goes wavy/frizzy with a mad kink at the end. Horrible really. This is what I had to do for years and years coz I just never realised that if I left it, I'd have a big head of ringlets! I suppose when I was smal,l it was always my mother washing and drying my hair with a hairdryer. And brushing my hair in a rush, trying to get me out the door for school, and there wasn't a chance to realise about the curliness!

Anyway, the eternal search for a hairdresser that will actually listen to you and give you a decent cut is a torment I know all too well. I try to avoid going, simply because I'm sick of being sneered at by hairdressers with poker-straight lobsided mullets who presume that all the straight hair rules will transfer perfectly to curls. :mad:

I gave in recently and just went to a hairdresser quite local to me. The hairdresser who was going to cut my hair was working on another woman when I arrived. The other girl immediately called over to have my hair washed.

I kinda stopped and said to the senior one, "Ehhh, do you not want to maybe look at my hair when it's dry so I can explain what I want done?"

I got a half blank/half sneering stare..... I suddenly thought God, am I being really foolish here? So I pointed out that obviously when my hair is wet, it's all flat and you can't see the way the layers sit (It's past my shoulders). She hardly even looked up from what she was doing, and instead just said "yeah well like you want to keep the length but just make it a bit lighter round the middle yeah?", as if to say "Are you bleedin thick, I know what you want done for God's sake". I should've just demanded that she actually look at it before i washed it, or I should've probably left. But I was tired and I felt like an eejit so I just said nothing, stupidly.

Anyway, I got the usual, short layers on stop, not short enough in the middle. Pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. All from this bint who presumed she knew better than me (and who was actually african-irish looking and had afro hair herself. Think she would've known better). I should've complained but I go to the hairdresser so sledom I kinda always half-feel that maybe they do know better than me (which i know is ridiculous, but still.)

Anyway, I paid. The face on her when I didn't tip. Silly cow.

Oh and God I've had the Toni and Guy experience too. Ended up with random stumps of hair here and there which I didn't notice until a week later. Very bizarre.

There's one product which I highly recommend. It's the Sunsilk leave-in cream for curls/waves. It's in a short stubby green bottle and it's only €3.50 or so. It's just SO good! I dont know what it is. I used use mousse which either made my hair hard and crispy or just limp after a few hours. This stuff just sorts it perfectly and makes the curls last for days. Really recommend anyone to try a little bit of it.

The more I read the more I'm delighted with my hairdresser. She doesn't have an attitude problem, listens to me and will let me walk out of the salon with wet hair :-) If anyone lives in Cork her name is Saorla and she works in "Richards" on Tuckey Street off Grande Parade. The phone number is in the golden pages.

Another thing I find amusing about most hairdressers is there statement "So how do you want it styled? straight, yeah?" They all seem to think us curly headed girls hate our curls and the only thing we could possibly want done is have them straightened.

I highly recommend people have their hair twist dried. The curls can be quite stiff as a lot of product is used but if ya shake it out later on the curls loosen. Ya can do it at home as well but it takes ages.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Thank god I decided to read this thread, I'm a guy and have longish curly hair, I've tried so many products to keep frizz down but nothing seems to work weel. I'll give some of the products mentioned here ago and see what happens. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

eefy wrote:
    Hi Maimee
    Where do you get your hair cut? And who does it for you?
    Hi eefy, its just a local hairdressers in Blanchardstown she is older than most of the young wans you'd see in the hairdressers (she owns it) and actually listens to me, examines my hair before its coloured & washed and always gives me a good cut. My hair is not that long now about shoulder length (when dry).
    If you want more info on the hairdressers let me know :)

Hi Maimee

If you could give me the name and number of your hairdresser that would be great as i'm around Blanchardstown a bit

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm a boy with curly hair and no barber is capable of cutting my hair in any way, why are they so retarded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

b3t4 wrote:

Another thing I find amusing about most hairdressers is there statement "So how do you want it styled? straight, yeah?" They all seem to think us curly headed girls hate our curls and the only thing we could possibly want done is have them straightened.

I highly recommend people have their hair twist dried. The curls can be quite stiff as a lot of product is used but if ya shake it out later on the curls loosen. Ya can do it at home as well but it takes ages.

A.

I hate how hairdressers just assume we hate curly hair! I'm still getting used to my hair being curly (new discovery for me also!) and it would be nice if hairdressers could give me some advice on how to manage it. They also cut my hair in a style that is suited for straight hair because they assume that I will straighten it everday, but it's just too much work! Are there any hairdressers who work specifically with curly hair? My curls are sort of loose ringlets but the problem I have is the thickness. I have so much hair! Why is thinning it out a problem? I always get that done.
    Hairdressers are not good for curly hair! The last time I went to the hairdressers was a traumatic experience! When I was getting my roots done the hairdresser brushed my hair. BRUSHED IT! It's not like it needed to be brushed to put the dye into it - there was no product in my hair and I conditioned it and finger brushed it when it was wet. The hairdressers started laughing at my hair with the other customers. I am never going back there again anyway!
    The best products for curly hair are definately frizz ease as long as you don't use too much, and I think conditioning every night makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I can't understand why hairdressers would assume you want staight hair! I have quite thick hair with a bit of a kink/wave to it but I often use my ghd to emphahsise it. Curly hair looks great imo, in fact I'm debating buying heated curlers to be able to curl my hair in such a way that the curls last! :)

Unfortunately, most of the time, I'm in too much of a hurry to try to do curly, so I go with the far less interesting fast-and-straight hairstyle!

eefy wrote:
    Hi Maimee

If you could give me the name and number of your hairdresser that would be great as i'm around Blanchardstown a bit

Thanks a mill
    Ah whoops only seeing this now, the salon is called Hair Today, the stylist I use is Ronnie & their number is 8214985 :)

Advertisement