Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should England still gamble by taking an unfit Wayne Rooney to the World Cup?

• 03-05-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this on a few of the online news sites and message boards around the place, wonder what the boards opinion is :)

I personally feel that they should not bring him, give the place to a player who is fit and ready to go, i feel sorry for Rooney and all that, but if hes not gonna be fit, no point taking up the place of a player who would be fit for the cup!

Should England still gamble by taking an unfit Wayne Rooney to the World Cup? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No.

I think the four strikers England bring to the world cup are.....

Owen, for obvious reasons!
    Daren Bent, strong, quick, good in the deck, good in the air, great finisher.
    Defoe, because even though he's had an off season he's still a tricky little fecker

and....

Marlon Harewood!
    Now before you all go mad calling me crazy, the man was built for international football! he's strong (built like a tank more like!) very very quick, a great finisher, provides a great outlet for other players, good in the air and is basically the proto-typical centre forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Nah, they should probably just push Joe Cole up and hope to God that Rooney gets back for the latter stages, or they reach the latter stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rooney will play no part in the World Cup, multiple fractures folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hell NO, when you are risking a player's health by putting him in danger of aggrevating the injury further, you can't.

• Advertisement

..writes a concerned Man Utd fan! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

they did it to beckham at the last world cup rushed him back from injury IMO they should really consider leaving rooney at home to recover and be ready for the premierleague and the euro quailifers. concerned united fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well since this topic has been done to death, how about what 23 would you bring?

For Me:
    GK - Robinson, Green, James
    DEF - Terry, G. Neville, Ferdinand, Carragher, A. Cole, King, Konchesky
    MID - Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, J. Cole, Lennon, Carrick, Bullard, Downing
    FOR - Owen, Crouch, Defoe, Harewood, Fowler

First Team:

Robinson
    Neville---Terry-Carra---A.Cole
    King
    Beckham---Lampard---J.Cole
    Gerrard

Owen

Now i may have forgotten some players, so i may need to change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

No they shouldn't take him, it would be unfair to the team and to Rooney to ecpect him to play. He wouldnt be able to do himself justice and also the English team will struggle to win the tournament with 11 fit players, never mind 10.

mike65 wrote:
    ..writes a concerned Man Utd fan! :)

Mike.
    I don't want him coming back in August on crutches!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

no they should`nt but its so heart breaking for the english,we really thought we had a good shot at the WC,its such a massive blow:(

Its not that big a blow - no worse than Ireland loosing Robbie Keane. er......

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

all the one rooney won,t be going to world cup,its over for rooney already.
    what agreat great loss his talent would have set the world cup on fire.
    won,t see a world cup till his mid twentys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Robinson
    Neville---Terry---Ferdinand----Cole
    Carrick

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Beckham
    Cole
    Crouch

Seeing as this 4-5-1 is all the rage these days, and that Owen is still not fully up to speed (and that Crouch would be better as a lone striker), I reckon that team could really go places. Maybe put SWP in for Beckham if he had more games under his belt.

Wayne Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

its a massive blow for england, he won't play. On top of this Owen is just back from injury and Ashley Cole is just about to come back. On top of that they are managed by Erikson .... with everyone fully fit even he prolly could have managed them to a world cup win.

Erm, and why isn't Scott Parker in anyones team, hes the only decent defensive midfield player england have.

Robinson
    Neville---Terry--Carra---A.Cole
    Parker
    Beckham---Lampard---Gerrard
    J.Cole

Owen

I wouldn't put Wright-Philips into the lineup, hes played feck all and been poor when he has played. I'd guess he'll be out of Chelsea this summer.

Erm, and why isn't Scott Parker in anyones team, hes the only decent defensive midfield player england have.
    I rate Parker much higher than Carrick but he is injured (well glandelour fever apparently) and hasn't played since March. It's a pity for him (and them) although I would still back Carrick to be picked ahead of him by Erickson because he plays for a more fashionable club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Scoot parker hasnt excactly gotten a great run of games either. I wouldnt bring him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Robinson
    Neville---Terry---Ferdinand----Cole
    Carrick

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Beckham
    Cole
    Crouch

that's the team i would go for two if Owen isn't fit either, maybe Bridge at left back thou. Cole is yet to start a game since his injury iirc.

Scoot parker hasnt excactly gotten a great run of games either. I wouldnt bring him.
    Before Parker got struck down with illness he had played in all of Newcastle's games bar five. He missed two of those through suspension.

And despite him being out of action since March, not to mention missing a couple of games through suspension, he has only played four games less than Carrick this season.

I assume you would have no problem including Carrick despite apparent lack of "a great run of games"?

Before Parker got struck down with illness he had played in all of Newcastle's games bar five. He missed two of those through suspension.

And despite him being out of action since March, not to mention missing a couple of games through suspension, he has only played four games less than Carrick this season.

I assume you would have no problem including Carrick despite apparent lack of "a great run of games"?

yea, carrick has had a run of games of late. It really isnt important excactly how many games you play, but the time you play the games.

Parker isnt match fit, and wont be by the time the world cup starts. Carrick is. Its not even a close call as to who would be picked. Carrick should be a definitie ahead of Parker.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    well since this topic has been done to death, how about what 23 would you bring?

For Me:
    GK - Robinson, Green, James
    DEF - Terry, G. Neville, Ferdinand, Carragher, A. Cole, King, Konchesky
    MID - Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, J. Cole, Lennon, Carrick, Bullard, Downing
    FOR - Owen, Crouch, Defoe, Harewood, Fowler

You would leave out Englands top scoroer in the PL this season in place of fowler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yup i dont really like bent, he has been scoring goals at an average team, which is always an achievement but i would prefer those 5 over him. particularly fowler as i think the front line needs a bit of experience considering how young the rest are, and i do think if fowler had been at liverpool from the start of the season he would be up there among the top scorers.

but that is just my opinion

yea, carrick has had a run of games of late. It really isnt important excactly how many games you play, but the time you play the games.

Parker isnt match fit, and wont be by the time the world cup starts. Carrick is. Its not even a close call as to who would be picked. Carrick should be a definitie ahead of Parker.
    I don't think anyone can despite this seeing as Parker is probably at home in bed at the minute.

Parker can't physically play, there is no way he is going or should go, but that said before he was struck down with this IMO he should have been ahead of Carrick in the queue. Apparently he has had this for a couple of months which really says a lot about the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Darren Bent has 18 goals this season.

Crouch isn't in the top ten goal scorers. Nor is Defoe.
    Harewood has 14.

Darren Bent is the 3rd best Striker england have after Owen and Rooney.

Apparently now, United are going to use an Oxygen chamber to help with his recovery. I have no idea what that is though!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

He'll be brought, and if his foot has healed at all he'll play, no matter his physical state, and Erikkson will play the same boring ineffective formations based on reputation that he has since he took the job, and david becham will spend more effort sprinting to celebrate with every goal scorer and get his mug in the papers than in actually playing football, and they'll bow out at the last 16 and we can all watch real teams play good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id bring him.

he may be fit, or he may not, but if theres a chance of him recovering in time, then yes, id bring him.

on the other hand, if the truth is he has no hope of recovery by the time the date to name the squad comes around, then it would be silly to bring a player who has no hope of recovery.

he is a player that can win a game and turn it on its head.

as for saying that scott parker is better than carrick. chortle. nice joke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

id bring him.

he may be fit, or he may not, but if theres a chance of him recovering in time, then yes, id bring him.

on the other hand, if the truth is he has no hope of recovery by the time the date to name the squad comes around, then it would be silly to bring a player who has no hope of recovery.

he is a player that can win a game and turn it on its head.

as for saying that scott parker is better than carrick. chortle. nice joke :)
    Parker > Carrick, every single time.

As for whoever said Fowler should be in the squad, give me a break. I'm sure you wouldn't even be thinking of him had he stayed at City. Absolute nonsense.

And for the question at hand, I voted no.

Fowler is reborn at Liverpool thats the diference, Rafa has taken 5 years off him in 5 months.

Miek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

to throw my opinions into the various topics here,

no rooney should not go at all now - sven is really good at crushing the other strikers morale.

Parker in my eyes is a far superior player to carrick, he's up there with gerrard and lampard when it comes to english midfielders.

and about fowler, i would be hugely shocked but i also think it would be a very good decision, he has alot to offer especially when you look at bent, defoe, and owen who are all pacey but lack that little bit of class that turns no chance into a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Robinson

Neville
    Ferdinand----Terry
    A.Cole---

Gerrard
    Carrick
    J.Cole

Lampard

Owen
    Crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

With a talent like Rooney i don’t think you cant take him even if he was just to experience the atmosphere of a world cup so its not a shock to the system next time around as well with a talent like Rooney even if he is only fit for the final he would be worth having in the squad.

Also if Ferdinand gets his game head of Carra I think it would be a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think they should bring him, but lets face it likelihood is he won't be fit till at least the latter stages.

A talent like Rooney, bring him on with 20 minutes to go and he'll win the game for you! Lets face it, no heavy training for excess of 6 weeks thats all he'll be good for.

We've seen already that Rooney doesn't get phased by anything, bloody hell he got a hat trick on his CL debute!

Advertisement