Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Development

Options
  • 03-05-2006 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a site designed and built, just wondering if anyone can give me a realistic price before i go to the companies, heres the spec's:

MySQL driven site, using 128bit SSL over the whole site for all data back and forwards from the DB built in either php or jsp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you were looking for a price from me I'd need a good deal more info than that.

You've basically stated how you want it built, which is something the web developer would more than likely tell you, but you haven't even hinted at what the site is for.

"a site" is far too vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

€28,474.26

This breaks down as follows:
    € 8,792.67 for MySQL
    €11,695.23 for PHP or JSP
    € 3,993.18 for 128 bit encryption in
    € 3,993.18 for 128 bit encryption out
    </sarcasm>

As GoodShape says, way too vague...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

i'll get as much info as possible but its very sensitive the nature of the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I would imagine a PHP developer will be cheaper than a JSP developer.

Also, have a look here - http://www.scriptlance.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

php development and hosting is far cheaper than jsp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your major costs break down as follows:

Design (i.e. layout, images, colours and fonts)
    Programming

In terms of programming, the cost can vary wildly. If you are looking for a large application to be coded from scratch, purely for use for your company, then you will pay a lot for it.
    If your particular solution can be implemented using open source software that currently exists, but you need it to be customised to your site design and tweaked a little to provide some extra functionality, then you'll suffer on the customisation and tweaking.
    If you can use open-source software out of the box, then the programming won't cost you very much at all.

"Database-driven" can mean a lot of things. Database-driven sites with two tables and five pages are as common as those with 25 tables and 50 pages, but the cost is completely different.

its going to be about 4 - 6 pages running off max 25 databases using SSL 128-bit!

Ziycon wrote:
    its going to be about 4 - 6 pages running off max 25 databases using SSL 128-bit!

how does that work?
    anyways....what exact coding do you require. 6 pages....mmm, is it a CMS? A purchasing system?

cant say anymore then ive said!

then whats the point in starting up this thead when your objective was to get a quote on some programming you require?

I'm sure the code you need has been done before, i don't think anyone is going to rob your idea...i doubt it's an highly original one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

wow this is as vague as anything I have read before

Why on earth would you need 128bit SSL unless you were dealing with credit card details or insanely secretive information

You will never get any kind of accurate quote unless you post up the full specs, and requirements of the project - in other words to get people interested you will have to advertise the project

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ssshhh... it's obviously a sekret site!

Unfortuntly (for you), quoting a price for a website is like quoting a price for building a house. You can't just say "how much for a house?.. I want it built with bricks.. four walls.. couple of windows.. that sort of thing". It totally depends on the size of the job.

Best bet for you is probably to do a bit of homework, find yourself a web developer you're happy with and propose your idea to them in full (rather than here on a public internet forum).

Goodshape wrote:
    You can't just say "how much for a house?.. I want it built with bricks.. four walls.. couple of windows.. that sort of thing". It totally depends on the size of the job.

I know a guy who knows a guy who can build houses....he might be able to do one with the 4 walls you require, windows and doors are negotiable.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know a guy who knows a guy who can build houses....he might be able to do one with the 4 walls you require, windows and doors are negotiable.
    hmmm - he might cut a few corners and the house could end up being round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Ziycon wrote:

Jasus. The Pentagon site only uses 24 databases!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He works fr the Pentagon - thats why its a secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

4-5 pages using 25 databases? Oooooooooookay...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

the smugness in this thread is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

It is, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Heres the tech. specs. so far. Can you quote on this?

- Runs off multiple SQL Databases(mySQL), it will all be hosted on a dedicated unix server storage space is 580GB and 4GB RAM
    - 128-bit SSL on all data to and from the database(s), using verisign certs
    - search function, to be able to search all database(s) by two of the category fields
    - to display the results onto a page, say there is 100 results, then maybe
    15 are displayed and then at the top and bottom of the page you would have pages 1,2,3.....
    - Admin side to be able to add records to the databases from a standard pc, prefer to have a non-web based app. for this, using SSL too
    - Very quick response time in the sense that the pages aren't slow loading with the results from the query
    - complete website design too
    - full database design too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

If you do actually have that many databases (25), then the complexity can get out of control very quickly. Plus the effort of designing 25 databases is gonna cost you!

Without more details on the type of content and the volume of data(would impact performance) to be in these DB's anyone would be shooting in the dark.

Data entry and data migration (if there is any) also adds to the expense.

In order to get anysort of realistic quotation you would have to provide a full spec.

Lets say there are only 5 DB's to be used. All data entry will be done by ourselves and there is no migration needed!

Ziycon wrote:
    - Admin side to be able to add records to the databases from a standard pc, prefer to have a non-web based app. for this, using SSL too

why non-web based? is there a reason for this? why 5 databases, why not one?
    and what exactly is the website for? and if you say you can't tell us then your not going to get a proper quote.

As i said i cant say what its for im bound by contract, and the reason 5 databases is because thats the minimum we can use, so were going to start with five and then introduce more in the future. And non-web based app. for security reasons. All im looking for is even a rough idea how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

wtf? This is a joke.
    How can you expect to get a quote with these details. The ones you posted are just a few technical requirements.
    25 databases, that's just crazy, 5 is too.
    You can use one database with different tables, maybe you are getting mixed up with tables? and databases?
    I don't know how a site with 6 pages manages to use 5 databases?.

Anyways you need to let us know the purpose of the site at least.

Ziycon wrote:
    And non-web based app. for security reasons

i don't understand this, your tech spec states you are using ssl. If your db is on the net then you will still need to make a connection to your db from your local machine by using the internet, having a non-web based app will make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

having a non-web based app will make no difference.

Agreed, actually in somecases it may even be more insecure.

A really good host will have there mySQL and webservers locked down very, very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

For greater security you could look at x509 or openpgp client certs, but that pki implementation would cost big time. VPN's are another route to secure remote access, but darn expensive, and ipsec is also crackable anyway. SSH is another kettle of fish. In any event a custom client app using such protocols would cost a lot up front.

Banks don't even bother with these, and just use a web app over ssl for clients. Compare that with the value of access to your clients data. Would a hacker be bothered with the prize? Using a web app also means clients just need a 128b ssl compliant browser so it doesn't matter if they're using mac, windows, or linux, that's why the technology is taking over in this area.

One database will suffice, and each client will only see their own 'database'. To explain how this works, one table will have clients, say estate agents, each with a unique id starting from 1 upwards. Another table has client data, say a list of properties for sale, but will also have the client id on each one so the system knows what property for sale belongs to what estate agent. The data for each client can thus be kept completely seperate on the database, it's exactly the job they were designed to do, and your developer will design the code securely to see this carries through.

The search function accross all clients datasets is a doddle, and displaying 15 results per page equally easy, but it's up to you decide what page to display if on page 3 out of 5 the user clicks another category heading to sort the results differently, say price instead of number of bedrooms (I'd send them back to page 1 of the 'new' result list).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

php development and hosting is far cheaper than jsp.
    This is true.
    However, as a general rule, JSP developpers tend to be better, what with Java being a more strict programming language and all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement