Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ziycon, you seem to be confused as to what a database is. If you explain what you mean, these people will explain why you're wrong and what you actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Ziycon, you seem to be confused as to what a database is. If you explain what you mean, these people will explain why you're wrong and what you actually want.

I know very well what databases are and under stand all about sql with tables, triggers, stored procedures etc... These are the specs i have been given. I know im prob wrecking your heads but i do appriate all the input but i really cant give anymore specs right now. Thanks so far.

Thank for the keywords Ziycon, you're very clever. Next time someone else will try to help you explain something you're pretending to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as a general rule, JSP developpers tend to be better, what with Java being a more strict programming language and all.

Wow - that sure is a general rule. As general a rule as I have ever seen.

<?php echo "p_0"; ?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i've worked with a lot of marketing types in my time and they often referred to a spreadsheet as a database??? Could that be what's going on here?

25 databases? Are you working for NASA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

can this '$thread' be a sticky ... maybe in the humour section?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

comer_97 wrote:
    25 databases? Are you working for NASA?
    I think he's going to index the whole world and everything ever in his website

i all fairness if your going to put a price on a site that uses 25 databases your going into 6 and maybe even 7 figure sums

Please don't be critical. Ziycon is obviously an expert in his field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Hi

I'm look for a quote for some string.

I wish to use some string, yarn to be precise in a project i'm working on, My favourite type is Tribeca from the Lily Chin Signature Collection, Its a Luxury Mohair blend composed of Wool, mohair, viscose, polyester. (I'm not too keen on the polyester but it'll keep costs down). My project must be fire resistant and delivered in a royale Blue colour, I'd like it to be triple stiched, if thats sounds too hard single stich will do, I can add further stiches later.

How long is the piece of string I need to buy?

B2

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Wow - that sure is a general rule. As general a rule as I have ever seen.

What happens if you code in JSP and PHP?
    Am I a crap JSP developer or a great PHP developer??

My head hurts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ziycon what's your rough budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

If this project is a secretive and advanced as you suggest, a budget of at least 20k is in order.

and anyway, if its soo secretive why are you posting on a forum about the project...fair enough you're not giving much away as you are under "contract" but it's still slightly odd.

what is your affiliation to this project? You don't have any PHP/JSP knowledge yourself by the sounds of things so your not the developer, you don't seem to know too much about database (sorry, but it is damn obvious) and you are under contract with another party? so what exactly are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I swear, half the comments on this thread are nearly as funny as this. And I'm not talking about the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

This project is like the house with four walls, your contract cant be taht strict if it wont let you say what type of heating your going to put in. Dont mention any names and we wont know what ur on bout
    Fair enuf?

a website with 25 MySQL d/bases is 1) confusing 2) expensive

6 pages to 25 MySQL? Bit much!

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Thank for the keywords Ziycon, you're very clever. Next time someone else will try to help you explain something you're pretending to understand.

Look i didnt come here for a fight and im sorry if i came across as snoty, all i was trying to say was that i do have a good knowlegde of what in talking about. I didnt make these specs these are the specs that were given to me(they could be wrong by the person that gave me them, cant find out as the person is uncontactable till next week) and i can see where most of yous are coming from about the amount of DBs, (in my own opinion, it can start with one DB but will need a min. of 5 in the end, these DBs are all on seperate servers) the min. budget is €30k.

My position:
    I was asked to design and develop the site but due to the fact that im crap with graphics we decided to get a company or freelance developer to do it all.

Ziycon wrote:
    I was asked to design and develop the site but due to the fact that im crap with graphics we decided to get a company or freelance developer to do it all.

Then what you should do is outsource the website design, but create the backend logic and db structures yourself if you're comfortable with that area. Getting another company to do everything for such an apparently large scale project without hardened requirements will be a disaster. Even for the most "secretive" of projects there exists a greater transparency of what is required for companies to apply for tender. All we care about are the technical details - we don't give a toss about the uber secret business model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Ziycon wrote:
    budget is €30k.
    If your budget is €30k then it's probably both advisable and worth your while to write a RFT (Request For Tender) that would more concisely describe what you’re doing and what your expected deliverables are without letting the cat out of the bag. It’s not too difficult to do that.

I would suggest that you get someone more experienced technically than yourself to consult on it as you seem to be a little out of your depth in that regard. Have them sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). They can also give you a better idea of what estimates you’re likely to get - it could end up being a €5k or €100k gig for all you know.

Then you can advertise your RFT, inviting responses, assess them and pick the best one. The responses will also give you a good feel on the project management style and deliverables you’re likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Then what you should do is outsource the website design, but create the backend logic and db structures yourself if you're comfortable with that area. Getting another company to do everything for such an apparently large scale project without hardened requirements will be a disaster. Even for the most "secretive" of projects there exists a greater transparency of what is required for companies to apply for tender. All we care about are the technical details - we don't give a toss about the uber secret business model.

If it's only six pages of web design you want that will not cost even 10% of your budget. Any reputable web designer will throw together a set of icons and template pages for you in a week or two (depending on how fussy you are about the small details of the design)

Ziycon wrote:
    these DBs are all on seperate servers, the min. budget is €30k.

why? do they need to be on seperate servers or something? when the person who you are working for told you what he wanted did you ask any questions at all. At the moment there is 0% logic behind your concepts and the physical cost could be more than €30k. Where are you going to host this? Are you going to get 5 sepearte dedicated servers in a data centre or 5 VPS's or something?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback, i'm going to go and sort out all the details and get a detailed and exact layout of what we want and need and to try sort out all these problem, thanks again for all the feedback and help.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Please don't be critical. Ziycon is obviously an expert in his field.

but probably not a database field. ka dush!

arf, i'll get me jacket

but probably not a database field. ka dush!

arf, i'll get me jacket

smelly%20forehead2%20smaller.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ok ok, this thread is now offically closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement