Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should be number one for Spain on goal?

• 03-05-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I think it should be Casillas. He has been unreal for Real this term and has showed that he can perform at the big stage.

Who do ye think?

Who should be number one on goal? 55 votes

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    0% 0 votes
    Jose Reina (Liverpool)
    72% 40 votes
    Santiago Canizares (Valencia)
    27% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Casillas for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Iker Casillas without a doubt. Was thinking this is a strange poll.....No question bout it for me, think the german one is more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Canizares for me, much more of a presence that Casillas. But its a no brainer though it's going to be Iker

You could include Valdes as well.

Who should start up front for Spain is a much more interesting debate, and I'd choose Villa and Morientes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Just did the poll cos I heard Reina has been performing good this year, and Canizares has been good too. Though it is almost certain that Casillas will start, this is for opinions from the public.

Reina's distribution is good, but his aerial ability isnt. Casilas is great on 1v1's, ok in the air, and distribution is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Casillas is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, the only player keeping Real Madrid alive these days. Definetley should be starting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd pick Iker to be honest, always has a little more than then rest in him.

after than Cani would be next with reina as third.

As for strikers I reckon thier best starting two at the moment would be Torres and Villa.

I think thier squad should be as follows.

Iker

Salgado
    poyul
    Helguera
    Capdevila

Baraja

Xavi
    Albelda

Valeron

Villa
    Torres

Subs:

Jaoquin
    Vicente
    Mista
    Raul
    Sergio
    Etxeberria
    Delhorno
    Ramos
    Juanito
    Cesar
    Reina
    Cani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Seaneh wrote:

As for strikers I reckon thier best starting two at the moment would be Torres and Villa.

Iker

Salgado
    poyul
    Helguera
    Capdevila

Baraja

Xavi
    Albelda

Valeron

Villa
    Torres

Subs:

Jaoquin
    Vicente
    Mista
    Raul
    Sergio
    Etxeberria
    Delhorno
    Ramos
    Juanito
    Cesar
    Reina
    Cani
    Why wouldn't you have Fabregas in your squad, Surely, his performances taking apart madrid and Juventus are worth a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Iker

Salgado
    Puyol
    Ramos
    Del Horno

Albelda

Xavi
    Fabregas

Raul

Villa
    Torres

This would be my squad

Why wouldn't you have Fabregas in your squad, Surely, his performances taking apart madrid and Juventus are worth a place.

I honestly don't think he's ready.
    If Ireland had qualified I wouldn't have wanted Stephen Ireland picked, as I think he's not ready either.

Give him a year or two, then talk about him playing in a world cup, besides the players I listed in his posistion are better player, espically Xavi, Albelda and sergio.

• Advertisement

No place for Cesc in the starting XI, Spain are already heavily relying on some of the younger 'stars'.

Albelda is one of the top 3 in his position in the world, and his partnership with Baraja is awesome. Saying that I think this World Cup will come 2-3 weeks too soon for Xavi(only back from injury), I'd have Xabi Alonso in there as well. You could also make a case for Reyes as well. As for Helguera, you're joking right? He won't make the squad.

Casilas

Salgado
    Puyol
    Marchena
    Pernia

David Albelda

Xavi
    Xabi Alonso

Reyes

Villa
    Torres

Subs:
    GK: Reina, Canizares
    Def: Sergio Ramos, Juanito, Pablo, Antonio López
    Mid: Fabregas, Marcos Senna, Luis Garcia
    Att: Morientes, Raul

With one more player to make the 23 man squad from Baraja, Vicente, Joaquin, Gavilan, ???

I'd be very surpised if thats not the squad, although my formation and lineup would change slightly.

99% sure of that squad based on this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Am what about Valdes , surely he is worhty of being in the poll.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Spain have an embarrassment of riches, especially embarrassing considering they never win anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zabbo wrote:
    No place for Cesc in the starting XI, Spain are already heavily relying on some of the younger 'stars'.

Albelda is one of the top 3 in his position in the world, and his partnership with Baraja is awesome. Saying that I think this World Cup will come 2-3 weeks too soon for Xavi(only back from injury), I'd have Xabi Alonso in there as well. You could also make a case for Reyes as well. As for Helguera, you're joking right? He won't make the squad.

Casilas

Salgado
    Puyol
    Marchena
    Pernia

David Albelda

Xavi
    Xabi Alonso

Reyes

Villa
    Torres

Subs:
    GK: Reina, Canizares
    Def: Sergio Ramos, Juanito, Pablo, Antonio López
    Mid: Fabregas, Marcos Senna, Luis Garcia
    Att: Morientes, Raul

With one more player to make the 23 man squad from Baraja, Vicente, Joaquin, Gavilan, ???

I'd be very surpised if thats not the squad, although my formation and lineup would change slightly.

99% sure of that squad based on this season.

do your honestly think Luis G and Senna will make the squad ahead of Baraja or Joaquin, in fact i would probably put vicente in head of them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Casillias is first choice for sure. A model of consistency and just a super goalkeeper.
    I'd leave out Canizares and include Valdes.

Spain certainly are blessed with goalkeepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever about goalkeepers I can't belive some here think Xabi Alnoso is'nt even worth having on the bench! What teams are you watching?

Mike.

Call_me_al wrote:
    do your honestly think Luis G and Senna will make the squad ahead of Baraja or Joaquin, in fact i would probably put vicente in head of them too.
    Vicente's not fit yet, and it's risky enought bringing Xavi. Baraja doesn't offer anything that Cesc, Alonso and Albelda don't already have.

Senna will get in based on the last Spain game, Garcia has been involved with most of the squads in the last campaign, and would be considered unlucky to be left out.

Jooquin will be the 23rd man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I agree mike, Xabi Alonso shud defo be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Casillas without dount should be number one. I also agree totally that Xabi Alonso merits a place in the side. I think he is probably the most consistent midfielder in the premiership and his passing is second to none. There must still be doubts about Xavi's fitness although he did come on tonight again and there are still a few games left before the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Luis Garcias' habit with the well-timed goal and that hat-trick in the playoff should see him in the squad.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Casillas will be no.1, but I honestly feel Reina has been the best spanish goalie this season.
    I have seen a lot of both keepers this season and I have to say, begrudgingly, that Reina has been excellent for Liverpool all season. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread his aerial ability isn't all too good which I presume means coming for crosses. I totally disagree and see this as his strongest point. Drogbas goal in the semi final aside he has been commanding all season long in this regard.
    Casillas is world class but since the turn of the year has suffered a severe dip in form and I have watched him make numerous mistakes over the last 4 months.
    Talent wise Casillas has few peers, but Reina is the man in form. It's kind of like Lehmann for Germany. Kahn is a better goalie, but Lehmann has hit awesome form this season and has forced his way into the no.1 spot ahead of Kahn whose performances dipped this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Nunu wrote:
    Casillas will be no.1, but I honestly feel Reina has been the best spanish goalie this season. etc etc etc. Kahn is a better goalie, but Lehmann has hit awesome form this season and has forced his way into the no.1 spot ahead of Kahn whose performances dipped this season.

Think your watching the wrong games to be honest, Casillas has been in awesme form since he got his place back in the Champions League final and is the only reason why Madrid are anywhere near the top of the Spainish League. He is sitting behind a terrible defence(similiar to Given) and has pulled his team out numerous times with great saves.

Reina is not even close to the best in PL, he is behind Cech, then Given, then Van Der Sar, its a toss up between Reina, Mophead and Friedal for fourth. Not worthy of a place in the squad to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i voted for casillas. i am a liverpool fan and am well aware of reina's ability but i think casillas is a better option for first choice. having pepe reina on the bench is brillaint for spain too.

reina has been good this season. but he is part of a unit in the liverpool defence. the unit has been brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont know where these votes for Reina are coming from, Casillas is far and away the better goalkeeper and is a certainty to start. As Big NElly said, Real would be further down the league if it wasnt for Casillas who has got them out of trouble countless times this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Kingp35 wrote:
    Real would be further down the league if it wasnt for Casillas who has got them out of trouble countless times this season.

a bit like a certain Donegal catch in the premiership

Seaneh wrote:

Iker

Salgado
    poyul
    Helguera
    Capdevila

Baraja

Xavi
    Albelda

Valeron

Villa
    Torres

Subs:

Jaoquin
    Vicente
    Mista
    Raul
    Sergio
    Etxeberria
    Delhorno
    Ramos
    Juanito
    Cesar
    Reina
    Cani

Can't believe I left Xabi Alonso out of the squad!

Seaneh wrote:
    Can't believe I left Xabi Alonso out of the squad!
    Can't believe you had Helguera in it ;) and Asier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Willstev wrote:
    Am what about Valdes , surely he is worhty of being in the poll.
    I was going to ask the same question. Seriously though, for their pool of players, I can't believe they don't feature regularly in the latter stages of the biggest tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd love to know what football the Reina voters are watching. He isn't in the same league as Cassillas and to say he has been a better keeper this season shows that some have obviously no time for La Liga. The fact that Madrid haven't been relegated is down to him. If they didn't have Iker they would be mid table at best...

• Advertisement

Seaneh your not a million miles away, here is the actual WC squad:

Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Canizares (Valencia); Capdevila
    (Deportivo La Coruna), Puyol (Barcelona), Salgado, Ramos (both Real Madrid),
    Marchena (Valencia), Del Horno (Chelsea), Lopez, Ibanez (both Atletico
    Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Venta (Villarreal); Albelda, Baraja (both
    Valencia), Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso (both Liverpool), Joaquin (Real Betis),
    Fabregas (Arsenal), Iniesta, Xavi (both Barcelona), Senna (Villarreal);
    Reyes (Arsenal), Morientes (Liverpool), Villa (Valencia), Torres (Atletico
    Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Canizares is past it. It would be tight between Valdes and Reina.

Canizares is still a great keeper!

They should bring back Zubizarreta tbh! :)

iregk wrote:
    Seaneh your not a million miles away, here is the actual WC squad:

Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Canizares (Valencia); Capdevila
    (Deportivo La Coruna), Puyol (Barcelona), Salgado, Ramos (both Real Madrid),
    Marchena (Valencia), Del Horno (Chelsea), Lopez, Ibanez (both Atletico
    Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Venta (Villarreal); Albelda, Baraja (both
    Valencia), Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso (both Liverpool), Joaquin (Real Betis),
    Fabregas (Arsenal), Iniesta, Xavi (both Barcelona), Senna (Villarreal);
    Reyes (Arsenal), Morientes (Liverpool), Villa (Valencia), Torres (Atletico
    Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid).

I count 27 men there, its the preliminary squad, No place for Vicente(as I predicted)

Bit of a shock that Pernia isn't there, 10 goals from Left back not good enough (that and he only got his passport last week)

Which 4 will get the chop?

Canizares
    Lopez
    Venta
    Del Horno
    Iniesta

most teams usually have 3 keepers in the squad...so doubt they'll drop canizares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd certainly have valdes in the squad ahead of canizares. if canizares isnt first choice then i dont see the point in him going at the expence of a keeper that will be a round for another 10 years at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had no doubt Garcia would be picked....he has a great reputation of coming on and getting vital goals in close games.

On the German goalkeeping thing, Lehmann is too easily wound up for international football. He'll get himself sent off very soon for having a pop at someone, especially when he's facing a corner, he doesn't seem to particularly like players standing in front of him.

Its got to be Kahn for me.

I think Spain this year will make the semi finals. Along with Germany, Brazil & another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Reina without a doubt.
    I think Garcia should be in the squad but only as someone to bring on if things aren't going right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lex Luthor wrote:
    On the German goalkeeping thing, Lehmann is too easily wound up for international football. He'll get himself sent off very soon for having a pop at someone, especially when he's facing a corner, he doesn't seem to particularly like players standing in front of him.

Its got to be Kahn for me.

Just in case you missed it, it will be Lehmann. Klinsmann has already confirmed that. Also if you watched the Bundesliga you might not be so convinced about Kahn. Whatever about being wound up (hasn't really happened that year all that much, ok less than previous year) Lehmann has performed far better in goals and that is why he deserves to be number 1 for Germany. Kahn made a couple of screw ups recently against my beloved 1. Fc Koeln which let us get a 2-2 draw. Still wasn't enough to save us from relegation with still 2 games to play :(

Casillas for Spain, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Casillas is the best goalie in the world, or at worst, 3rd place behind Cech and Buffon, but not in my opinion. I'm shocked that anyone could possibly consider Reina or Valdes above him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement