Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Outragous Insurance Quote

Options
  • 03-05-2006 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Basically the story is, scratched the next door neighbours car last night.

Left a note saying sorry, grand stuff.

Next thing I know he is getting a quote for almost €1000.

Needs a new bumber, some paint work and €500 worth of man hourse (8 to be exact)

This has to be taking the piss.

The car is a 206, anyone have any idea if you can query a quote like this, call it utter bull****, throw it in someones face and tell them you want a second quote?

Neighbour said something about it having to go to the dealer cause its under warrenty.

Emmo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I for one would insist on a second quote. To me it sounds like he is getting a few other things sorted on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

but how does this make you feel, on the inside

Might be better if you posted in the Motors forum.

Anyway, why should he not get it done proper from the garage considering you done the damage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Tell him you want 3 quotes. Thats what most insurance companies would expect.

Tell him you also want it itemised.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep probably would be more use in Motors moving there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dealer repairs can cost a fortune if not under warranty but go ahead and get a second quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

that sounds like a quote for a whole new bumper sprayed and fitted, did you just scratch it or did you do damage to the bumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

eh for a scratch thats is crazy, take a photo of the damage you did while you can, and get a quote yourself, shouldnd be more than e200 for a partial respray
    crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If someone scraped or cracked one of my bumpers, i wouldn't settle for a load of fillers on a bumper. I'd want it back to original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Tell him you want 3 quotes. Thats what most insurance companies would expect.

Tell him you also want it itemised.

You can tell him anything - he can get a quote from whoever he wants. You can pay the company who do the work directly, rather than give him the money, if you think he's telling porky pies.

Otherwise you can let your insurance company deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately at the end of the day you damaged his car so he is entitled to have it repaired back to it's original state before you damaged it. He obviously feels that the main dealer is best place to get the work done. If the shoe was on the other foot would you want a cheap job done on your car? A cheap repair job will effect the resale value of the car also.

If you think it is too expensive then you can always let the two insurance companies deal with it. Chances are it may end up costing alot more in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depending on the age of the car, he may also be entitled to claim for depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Thanks for moving it lads,

Got the itemised quote

Replace rear bumper
    repair Q panel
    paint and seal repairs.

Total labour 8 hours?????????????????

€480

Rear Bumper
    Rear Bumper Trim
    Paint + sundries

€316

+ Vat

All I did was scratch the ****ing bumper while parking. There are no cracks, no bit hanging off. The bumper is scratched.

Im going to ask for 3 quotes - thanks to whoever said that.

Can I ask for a engineers / mechanic's report to see what they think needs fixing.

If I had not left the note I dont think they would have noticed.
    I have a feeling im getting shafted.

On top of all that they are quoting for 2 days car hire too? Is that normal?

I dont mind fixing the car but I do mind having the piss taken out of me.

Emmo

i left my car in to get a wing mirror replaced, sprayed and all and had a spoiler fitted and sprayed aswell and it took no longer than 6 hours, left it in at 9 and collected it that evening.

so the two days hire sounds a bit much i'm sure it could be done in a day and would be ready atleast the next morning.

did you ask him why he was replacing the whole bumper?

my mother scraped the rear side of her car along a wall, i mean it was really bad, loads of scratchs, but she didnt get the bumper replaced, just got the scratches taken out by a main dealer, think it cost around €600 - € 700

see im not really a manly car man. Im going to let my GF handle this I think

3 quotes
    why are they replacing the whole bumper

any thing else lads?

Thanks for all the help

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

As others said take some photo's of the damage. Make sure he's not trying to con you for several other scrapes/scratches on the bumper.

Im not a mechanic but why does the Rear Quarter panel need work if all you touched is the bumper?

As others said it might be better to leave it in the hands of your insurance company. They'll probably pay the theiving fecker off but at least it wont all come out of your bank account (until renewal time :rolleyes: )

I have the no claims bonus protected but I have heard some stories that if I claim goes in that this isnt transferable!

Is this true?

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Check out this website, they can fix this sort of problem a lot cheaper. If its only a scratch on a bumper it not going to affect the resale value of his car. Tell him you will look after it, and get it done with the guys in this website, there before and after pics look really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

You didnt say how old the car you damaged was. If its a new car ( I mean new to 18 months old ), and I owned it, I would want it back to its original condition, and if this meant replacement panels, so be it.
    If the car is within this age profile, then the owner is justified in protecting his investment concerning resale value.

If, on the other hand, the car is 5/6 years old with 80-100k on the clock, then the owner needs to wise up.

Sorry should have said its an 2004 206 so yeah its about 17 - 29 months old.

In terms of getting the work done I dont mind paying for it claiming on my insurance but I just dont want to be fleeced.

I could have just drove off and not admitted liability (left a note for them apologising, they seemed surprised that I did that) but I would want to leave anyone in that state.

Maybe the dealership is taking the piss?

Would it really take 8 hours to change the quarter panel and bumper?
    If it takes 8 hours why do they need a hire car for two days?
    Can I ask for a mechanic's report to say why the bumper needs replacing when its scratched (or is this to restore its cosmetic appearence) ?

Emmo

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Emmo

You are being ripped off not by the neighbour but by the garage.

Quick Story.

Someone rear ended GF's car. 03 Opel Astra.

Took it to an Opel to get quote, quote was 3500e.

Her father knew a panel beater, fixed it for 550e.

Some rip off isnt it.

Please take a photography of it, if its just a scratch just sand paper it down, and prep the area for respray, apply primer, allow to dry, use wet and dry sand paper again to smooth out, apply more primer and sand paper again. Then respray the damaged area. If necessary, apply sealant on top.

There was a scratch on the GF's car when she was buying it from the same gargage as above, they sprayed it free of charge for her.

If its a light scratch then a simple spray can is enough.

For small claims court you must present three quotes and the judge will pick the cheapest one.

By the way, well done you for leaving a note many wouldnt. I was parked on Baggot st one day outside the Bank of Ireland, Merc behind me and BMW infront, not enough to get out so I slowly reversed till i tipped the Merc, and then pulled off, parked on the side street and left a note for the owner, there was no invisbile scracthes or nothing. The owner telephoned later that evening, said listen i got your note and looked at the car and it appears ok so everything was ok, he was amazed that i left a note in the first place.

Then again I have heard stories where people bring the car to the garage for inspection and from a little tip the whole car needs a major overhaul like WTF!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Fair play for leaving the note. You did the right thing. I did this too one time and the owner was very grateful but did send his car to a main dealer. I just coughed up.

My brother was at the receiving end of a similar situation a few weeks ago and he got a cheaper quote from the guy who hit his car and is going with that. He decided to avoid getting car rental since he didnt want to rip the guy off as he was decent in leaving the note.

People should be fair about these things but you can't rely on this from joe public. Some people will rip you off.

My advise. Get the three quotes. Tell them all its a cash job and not being paid by an insurance company. Try a main dealer as well as a small repair shop.

In the end you may need to fork up. But you will always know you did the right thing. Money is only money.

Just one point on the car rental.

As with the above point, I dont think that they should be getting rental as well, thats taking the mick in all fairness, and listen majority of dealers provide a replacement car and not a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

I've been in the same situation, both being the one who tipped another car as well as my car getting hit. The car I tipped was much the same, tiny scratch on the bumper you'd have to go close up to see, ended up getting a bill for 600, stating bumper realignment, respraying plus man hours. They didn't even give me a chance to query it, by the time they faxed through the quote they said they'd already carried out the work!

When I was hit, and this was quite recently, there was a lot of damage, not just scratches to the front bumper, in places torn so you could see through the fibre glass. I took it to a local repair shop where I was referred to by my mechanic, replaced the whole bumper, resprayed, resealed for 600. And all done in 3 hours so don't know where this 2 day car hire is coming from.

As well as getting another quote or 2 to which afaik you are entitled, you can also check to see if you can get an assessor from your insurance company (think all insurance companies have them?) to inspect the damage and quoted repair price. As this is a preventitive measure against insurance fraud, you shouldn't be charged for this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kluivert wrote:
    Just one point on the car rental.

As with the above point, I dont think that they should be getting rental as well, thats taking the mick in all fairness, and listen majority of dealers provide a replacement car and not a rental car.

You have to pay for replacement cars pretty much everywhere nowadays

thanks lads,

Will deffo get the 3 quotes, might chat to the Dad. He is a solicitor and might know the best way to advance, hate having to go to him though. Makes me look like I cannot handle **** myself at 25.

Fair enough I scratch the car and I want to make things right, its not like im just going to run away when I have done something but I dont want the piss taken.

Emmo

kbannon wrote:
    You have to pay for replacement cars pretty much everywhere nowadays

Are you taking the mick (no offense), you must live in Dublin. I always get a replacement car when my car goes in for a service and repairs and at no extra cost at the main Opel Dealer here in Monaghan.

Most I have ever had a replacement car was for three days while the head gasket was being replaced.

Different counties different practices....

same here in meath, parents got a replacement car for a week at no extra cost even though it was only gonna take the garage a day to fix the scratchs they were going away to galway for the week so the garage let them take the car for a week at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fair enough - maybe its just another Dublin rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

colm_mcm wrote:
    If someone scraped or cracked one of my bumpers, i wouldn't settle for a load of fillers on a bumper. I'd want it back to original condition.
    But bumpers are bumpers, being scratched is what they are designed for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Anan1 wrote:
    Depending on the age of the car, he may also be entitled to claim for depreciation.

I don't think so. If a completely new bumper is fitted to the car because of a scrape it's not the same as "has this car been crashed?".

Advertisement