Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion problems

• 03-05-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

hi my mate is having probs with oblivion running on his pc, hes got a 3.4 pentium 4 with a gig of ram and a g force fx 5600 graphics card, and it runs like a snail, im thinkin its the graphics card, but i could be wrong any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

hi my mate is having probs with oblivion running on his pc, hes got a 3.4 pentium 4 with a gig of ram and a g force fx 5600 graphics card, and it runs like a snail, im thinkin its the graphics card, but i could be wrong any ideas? :confused:

Ok over in the RPG forum Kdjac posted with advice on how to run this on older cards and the new patch also has some downgrading features but be warned it is a Beta patch

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

4G of RAM! OMG!!! Well yes, I think the problem is the graphics card. Still, the Geforce FX aren't mentioned as recommended but as "supported". Also the card should have 256MB to exploit the game at max. I have an ATI X300 with 128 dedicated Ram and the game starts to hickup if I use a resolution bigger than SVGA.

More information about the latest patch, includind the HW requirements you can find here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Uh, I think that's a pentium 4 with 1 gig of RAM there mate. And apart from the gforceFX 5900 the other FX cards aren't DX9. The 5900 is only pseudo DX9 anyway. It's what I have. Runs fine(ish) on 800*600.

chamlis wrote:
    Uh, I think that's a pentium 4 with 1 gig of RAM there mate. And apart from the gforceFX 5900 the other FX cards aren't DX9. The 5900 is only pseudo DX9 anyway. It's what I have. Runs fine(ish) on 800*600.

I had a 9800 pro which started to melt over the last month or so, would prob still work if I lumped in a better graphics card cooling fan and some heat sinks but now I am running an Nvidia GeForce 256.....feel the power of 32mb or RAM...grrrrrrr

Thank god for the 360

I'm working up the courage to spend 500 beans on a motherboard/processor/gfcard upgrade. Got away with it up untill oblivion. Plays Hl2/Doom3/Quake4/FarCry etc grand out. Then FEAR came along and I had to give it some serious thought. Now with Oblivion I'm missing out on all the eyecandy and its slow slow slow. But playable. 360 or upgrade. If I could make the 360 a media center for divx etc I'd prob get one, but....

• Advertisement

chamlis wrote:
    I'm working up the courage to spend 500 beans on a motherboard/processor/gfcard upgrade. Got away with it up untill oblivion. Plays Hl2/Doom3/Quake4/FarCry etc grand out. Then FEAR came along and I had to give it some serious thought. Now with Oblivion I'm missing out on all the eyecandy and its slow slow slow. But playable. 360 or upgrade. If I could make the 360 a media center for divx etc I'd prob get one, but....

I have been having this debate with myself since xmas, my gfx card is old anyway (aswell as melting) but I hear oblivion is coming to PS3 aswell so I may hold off yet and if the Wii is as cheap as has been quoted well then i'll get that too

I think the wii would be worth getting anyway. I've always kind of regreted not getting a game cube. It's just not supported at all where I am. Very few games available in shops around here. Eternal Darkness was a great early cube exclusive, as well as all the metroids etc. PS3 sounds great but I have serious doubts. Whenever its released it'll still be ages before the bugs are ironed out. As a cheap blu-ray player it'll be a steal at 400 or 500 whatever it'll be. Personally my money will be on HD-DVD, but that's a diferent story. You can bet also that when the PS3 does come out, the 360 will drop in price dramatically. That'll be my cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

so did you get the wii?

yup I did

great little piece of kit but lack of games at the mo for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I tried the same thing, plenty of RAM but an FX graphics card, buy a new one. Oblivion is worth it.

I got a GEforce 7300 which isn't amazingly high end or expensive and the game plays like a dream, it'll be even better with 4gb of RAM

• Advertisement

singloud wrote:
    I got a GEforce 7300 which isn't amazingly high end or expensive and the game plays like a dream, it'll be even better with 4gb of RAM

all i can say is :eek: :eek: :eek:

my machine at work has 8gb of RAM but 4gb on a home PC is class. If PC gaming was more comfortable i'd take it up again

Advertisement