Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying motor without viewing

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Right heres the problem, i am extremely difficult to please and its so bad that i literally CANNOT find the car i want in cork where i am living. I will only buy from a dealer, as i just do not like the idea of buying privately.

Here is the issue, i have searched high and low throughout the dealers down here and have come up with nothing, they either have too much mileage or there is some issue i have with the car, such as fiat puntos having the brake too close to the accel, or the interior making me want to get sick. Petit maybe, but i want something perfect.

I have spotted many cars in dublin from big dealers, one of which is a citreon saxo 02', ive been sent more pics by email by the dealer and like the car.

But i cannot make it up to dublin as im stuck down in cork with exams looming and i wouldnt generally trust any car dealer, would it be possible to locate a mechanic or something to go and check the car out for me and report back and then proceed? Hoping that the car isnt a complete ****box and then having to pay said mechanic for his time, or is there something else i can do to cover having egg on my face on a dodgy motor.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Drive one in Cork, ask a local dealer if they can get the car from you. Dealers often swap cars with other dealers around the country. Mainly for the same make model but diff colour, but its worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i have always wondered how people buy cars off ebay without actually driving them.... so same applies, what can you see/not see in a photo???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

I cant tell if the engine will fall out of it after a week or if the clutch is about to start giving trouble, and then the greabox stops working, ect ect

It does come with a warrenty however. I bought a car in cork not so long ago, perfect looking car.. spotless, turned out when they delivered the car to me that the car had been crashed, we got a mechanic just to give it the once over. We had seen the car prior to this two times at the dealership, but did not spot it.

Got the guy to look at it when it was delivered to my house, and he spotted that the car had been crashed by the front chasis, and a mechanical jaws was used to pull it back out, and a handy repair job was done to cover the tracks, couldnt fool a professional, but it did the job on me and my dad.

Thats the kind of thing that worrys me, as i had a little bit more respect to dealerships that sold cars before, but this was plain idiocy, and could have put my life in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if you have a problem with the Punto's pedals, I can't see why you'd want a Saxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

what garage is the car in?

if you post the name and location then maybe someone will have had experience with them and tell you whether there a decent outfit or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Mullingar Autos Ltd
    Co. Westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smythmark

AA ireland offer such a service quite expensive but very thorough if you don't know any mechanics in dublin.

These are ( from http://www.aaireland.ie/technical2006 )

Essential Inspection : *from* 320 Euros:
    A detailed examination of the vehicle including a full mechanical and electrical check.
    Checking for evidence of major accident damage and/or repairs.
    Recording of VIN and Chassis numbers.
    An extended road test.
    A full under-body inspection to ascertain any structural problems or accident damage
    The Engineer will draw up a detailed and comprehensive report outlining their findings

Quick Check Inspection :*from* 214 Euros :

This service provides you with expert advice on your purchasing decision from a qualified vehicle engineer. The inspection includes:

Checking for evidence of major accident damage.
    Recording of chassis and VIN numbers.
    A basic safety check.
    Assessing the acceptability of the mechanical components.
    A summary report on the car’s general condition.

Advertisement