Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown, Navan

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello. Reggie here.

A question about Johnstown in Navan. I'm thinking of buying a property in the area to live in, and I would like to know if the buildings are nice, area is nice etc. Any good/bad points about the area.

Thanks. R. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Area is great, full of Dubliners if thats what you want :p

Its a place were id like to live, bit of a shopping centre there also, all your needs.

Its peaceful and great for commuters and for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Nice enough spot, shopping centre, not far from the town, particularly with the new bridge.

O'Brien's in Johnstown is worth a visit for dinner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ReggiePerrin

Many thanks. Whats the scene for getting to and from Dublin by car at peak times? Also, whats the broadband situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

whats the broadband situation?
    Johnstown is broadband-enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I live in Johnstown village and work in Dublin.I drive to Leopardstown and it takes me an hour each way, but I leave at 6.30am and am home at 4.30pm.The N3 is mental and is to be avoided at all costs.
    The village is nice with everything in it from takeaways to a decent pub/restaurant (Obriens) and the shopping centre is further into Johnstown where most of the houses are along with Gym and more shops/ takeaways etc.Where are you thinking about buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just for the record. Johnstown is one of the best places to live in Navan. There are a lot of Dub's living out that way, so you should fit in perfectlly.

Most of Johnstown is Broadbanded... but just make sure.

Many thanks for the positive replies... Im surprised there are so few negatives. Does anyone have any big negs about the place?

Im not from Dublin, but Im currently renting there. If the area is settled, in that its not to-letville, then I shall strongly consider, and considering that Ive lived amoug Dubs for a few years, a change of scenery might him them, as much as me ;). I see a few properties for sale and i've driven up to the area. Im changing jobs soon, which means shift work, so there will be a lot of off peak driving.

What type of broadband does the area have? Wireless or Eircom enabled DSL?

Any other nice areas around Navan worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Many thanks for the positive replies... Im surprised there are so few negatives. Does anyone have any big negs about the place?

Im not from Dublin, but Im currently renting there. If the area is settled, in that its not to-letville, then I shall strongly consider, and considering that Ive lived amoug Dubs for a few years, a change of scenery might him them, as much as me ;). I see a few properties for sale and i've driven up to the area. Im changing jobs soon, which means shift work, so there will be a lot of off peak driving.

What type of broadband does the area have? Wireless or Eircom enabled DSL?

Any other nice areas around Navan worth considering?

There is a place called Robinstown, that is a nice little area. I would not think that they have broadband out there, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, Smart have vome to Navan recently, I would strongly suggest them as I have heard good things about them. Also Eircom are here, I use them. No problems so far. I think IBB are coming, definetly steer clear of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

There is a place called Robinstown, that is a nice little area.
    Robinstown is the other side of Navan to Johnstown. It's not as highly developed, i.e., no shopping centre, etc. It's a quieter area with more Meath people than Dublin people.

• Advertisement

ReggiePerrin - Digiweb are the dominant provider in the area (if not the only one)
    There are no big negs.

EDIT - Johnstown has a bad history of no water :p

http://www.navanonline.net/deforum/showthread.php?t=193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

A lot of the houses are rented out. My bf lives there and is surrounded by Polish., Lituatians, Nigerians etc.
    Its not a bad estate though, pub and restaurant is lovely, chipper does savage pizzas and super valu right on your door step.
    The N3 isnt a good way of commuting to dublin though!!! Id nearly drive to drogheda first n hop on m1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Its quite a good place to live, Millbrook seems full of rental property, so you may steer clear of there, but Athlumney Abbey and Wood are nice estates.
    Plus you have good amenities in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubaim

Like a lot of areas - if there are mostly aprtments and upto 3 beds, then you'll get a % of rented units, these days mostly non nationals. If they are 4 beds +, like Athlumney Abbey, Athlumney Castle etc, most will be owner occupiers, families with growing kids, more than likely there after trading up (or down, if from Dublin).

I would think there are 60/70% Dubs here, not many Meath people, with a sprinkling also of UK accents and Yanks!

Nice, quiet place to live. The shops are now a bonus, as is the bridge which really gives the area a connection to Navan, which is itself a nice little town

I was looking at a place in Millbrook on the web, and I'd like to live somewhere more settled than rentville.

Any thoughts on Bru Na hAbhainn out the Slane road? Bit of a new development, and some new places being built...

Thanks for the info so far.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I reckon there has been a lot of in-breeding going on around Robinstown for centuries!
    Also for some reason the houses there are very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I reckon there has been a lot of in-breeding going on around Robinstown for centuries!
    Also for some reason the houses there are very expensive.

In-breeding among the developers, hence the expensive properties. I heard a few of those developments went bust/ had money woes and after that things started to really get out of hand, somebody thought they smelt a killing. Houses have been for sale for ages out there, no buyers.

To the OP, Navan is under serious pressure, the water fiasco a shot time ago is only the tip of the iceberg and sign of things to come imo (it was not all over Navan). The required infrasturcture to support the current population just isnt there and what is there is at capacity. Robinstown has had somewhat limited development for this very reason, water shortages, terrible roads no shops etc. I think even the church has been closed in Robinstown (open to correction) Its part of Dunderry parish, Dunderry is two miles away. Development in Robinstown seems to have died somewhat, the news houses brought nothing to the area. But maybe this is what some people are after. Dunderry is another fine example, it has had virtually no development because its water (Navan supply) and sewage cant take it. I'd say they are lucky if 10-20 new houses have being built in the last 4/5 years. Navan's catchment area is huge. Dunderry is 3 miles from Trim, 6 from Navan! Navan's infrastructure is spread very thin.

Johnstown is exactly like the other posters have suggested, well serviced with shops, bars, gym... however I would expect it to be plagued with problems in 5 - 10 years if action is not taken. This may not be a concern for you, surely they will get things done? The local papers covered a story where some councillors had called on other elected officials not to allow any more development till infrastructure was addressed. My advice would be if your buying property any where in Meath do plenty of research. Some water schemes in Meath are years behind. Its early days yet but I'm sure such problems will be reflected in the value of the homes in time.
    Athlumney Abbey and Wood are nice estates.
    Indeed they are.

Commuting? Take the Train. :(
    The N3 is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smgill

HI.

Looking at buying a Duplex in Millbrook, Johnstown. I note that most comments on this are a few years old. Can anybody give me anything, good or bad, on Millbrook. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I know there has been lots of issues with the management company which I don't think are resolved. A lot of renters also

• Registered Users Posts: 2 is200rwd

As this is an old post, Johnstown is not the same nice area as it was 8 years ago when this post was made it has turned into a kip it has the highest crime rate in Meath now and is full of gangs of teens standing around the shops intimidating people, just 2 weeks ago all of the windows in the Supervalu were smashed by these for no reason. Personally I think it's a nice area it's just a shame what it's become

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 newsbridge

Hi, Looking to buy house in beechmount area in Navan, can anyone give me bit of info good/bad about the area.Thanks for help in advance

Advertisement