Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless router/dsl modem with best signal strength.your opinions

• 03-05-2006 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

my phone line is in another room and the only way i can get the internet to my room is wireless. im using the netopia wireless router from eircom,but i hear thats rubbish( and i think it aint great).my signal has to go through a concrete wall and a chalkboard wall. i want to hear your recommendations on a wireless dsl modem/router that has good signal strength? thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Does the netopia work for you at the moment? You don't say if you are experiencing any problems currently.

Linksys, Netgear and D Link make good quality modems/routers. Linksys is a personal fav of mine. Avoid Belkin at all costs. They are shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

no not expiriencing problems, just low signal. as low as 28mbps,and at times, low signal quality

28mbps is perfectly acceptable. Sure it's prob 14 times faster than what your broadband speed is so it's hardly creating a bottle neck. Unless you are experiencing loss in performance don't waste your money.

but if the little icon on the taskbar tells me the signal strength is low, could that not be slowing things??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your broadband is probably no faster than 3MB - so how could 28MB be slowing things down? :confused:

Ignore the little icon on the taskbar.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If its a pc with a radiocard in it you have , you could try (maybe make) a better antenna for it , it should help

bushy... wrote:
    If its a pc with a radiocard in it you have , you could try (maybe make) a better antenna for it , it should help
    make an antenna eh..... can anyone advise on this??the card is built into my laptop, so im not sure how much of an option this is

It's not really. As esel said ignore the low reading. It does not necessarily mean slow speeds.

Advertisement