Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish broadband speed test.what do the results mean?

• 03-05-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

im on eircom.i decided to try the irish broadband speed test here:

http://www.irishisptest.com

i got 271kbps download and 32.5 upload and a quality, which varies between 40 and 80 % . could the variation in quality be because of my wireless router being a good distance from my pc? what do these results mean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Quality rating isn't 100% accurate. It is just a estimate at how your current download and upload speeds compare to your maximum speeds. Even when my connection is running fine the quality reading can be off.

If you're concerned that a weak wireless signal is affecting your speed test, move PC closer to router or connect to it using a ethernet cable.

What Broadband plan do you have with Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

my plan is eircom broadband home plus.it says downloads of up to 256kbps and uploads of up to 128kbps, but i only get uploads of 32kbps ( so the test says) and the test says i get 271 kbps download, but i usually only get 40-70kbps. very variable. not totally impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Some sites that you dl from can be crap and you get a poor dl rate.

Advertisement