Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Wood - Sky Dishes

Options
  • 03-05-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone on here from the Wood, who has put up a Sky Dish?

Have you been asked to remove it?

I want to get one, as I'm sick of the picture and sound quality on NTL and ant to get Sky+ (and maybe HD ;) ).

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

Hi Mike
    We had SKY installed when we first moved into the Wood in 2004 and subsequently received a few circular letters from the mgt company to say that dishes would not be allowed . However, there has been nothing more said since and loads of houses appear to have them so I'd say go for it.

By the way, does anyone know how to tune in ITV/Channel 4 as we can't get this as part of the SKY package????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This EPG will give you the details for ITV and C4, but list time I tried the C4 ones didn't work.

To get them onto your box, bring up the Services menu and choose option 4 for System Setup then 4 again for Add Channels. Type in the frequency as shown in the link above, together with the polarity letter. For Astra transponders 1 to 40 leave the Symbol rate and FEC at their default values, for other frequencies change them to the settings shown in the table. Choose Find Channels and the list of channels being broadcast by that transponder appears. Highlight the name and press the yellow button for all the ones you wish to add to your list. Pressing the Select button saves your choices.

Your selected channels will now be available under the "Other Channels" option in the Services menu. You can save up to 50 channels in this fashion.

Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

Thanks Mike, I will give this a go tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

its in the contract somewhere that you are not ment to put them up
    (might be beside washing lines) but they are being let slide since the last circulars went out. i have sky and the only thing i would change would be to try and get the cable run through the house cos that i think looks a bitc cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

Got a Dish before Xmas and the clever chap stuck the dish out the back and connected the wire into the ntl port in the kitchen from the outside. House was already wired for Ntl. Less work for him and less mess for me. Happy days:) Depends on the person doing the installation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

manus could you PM his details because that idea rocks.

The guy was actually organised by sky themselves . They freelance most of their installations so I didnt know the guy sorry! Its just a matter of asking whoever comes out and maybe offer him a few sheckles if he says no. Wait till he says no because the chap who did mine was delighted i agreed to do it that way. It was less work for him. You wont be able to get NTL aswell though.

Manus wrote:
    The guy was actually organised by sky themselves . They freelance most of their installations so I didnt know the guy sorry! Its just a matter of asking whoever comes out and maybe offer him a few sheckles if he says no. Wait till he says no because the chap who did mine was delighted i agreed to do it that way. It was less work for him. You wont be able to get NTL aswell though.

Manus, the installers name should be on your invoice/receipt.

Sky came to do the install yesterday.

We went for the Sky+ package. Sweet. Picture perfect, no pixellation. Looking forward to watching some rugby on it. Sound is proper surround. The + features are excellent. Pause or rewind live TV, record two programmes at once. Amazing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hc

gstonesmx5 wrote:
    manus could you PM his details because that idea rocks.

Sky contractor did the same for us. Have his details, so if you want them PM me.

Our dish is out the back too (although the location will depend on your house position), our wires are done through our NTL box too so very handy. AND he fed the wire through the attic so it's not trailing over our roof, very neat and tidy!

Manus, the installers name should be on your invoice/receipt.

Sky came to do the install yesterday.

We went for the Sky+ package. Sweet. Picture perfect, no pixellation. Looking forward to watching some rugby on it. Sound is proper surround. The + features are excellent. Pause or rewind live TV, record two programmes at once. Amazing. :D

Sounds great what number did you say you were in

• Advertisement

Manus wrote:
    Sounds great what number did you say you were in
    I didn't!

You get all sorts of flyers in your door...

We'll have none of that here!

DooH!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

If you all read your leases you will see {at least this is the case in the Fairways} that the lease refers to the ERECTION {brilliant I know, Sex everywhere these days} of Dishes, and also refers to the "fixing" of the dish.

There is nothing to stop you simply mounting it in an inoffensive free standing fashion.

PS did anybody see that guy ripping around in the yellow ferrari.?:eek:

What I am doing is just using my old Satellite system, I am using some diggery-pokery to pull in a better signal, I am in knee-deep in a contract with Sky {who I have to say always took care of me} so I am arsed if I am getting into an argument with Sky just to have the pleasure of the company of the degenerate bastards that are NTL. In my opinion, one does not need a degree from NASA to align a satellite in a discreet fashion. Loads of people on the Fairways have them arranged in a mobile manner. This whole "you cannae have a Satellite lark" is all about guys getting business for NTL. Obviously it doesn't do to have the place looking like a digital porcupine with satellites sticking out everywhere, but infringing peoples right of association by basically insisting that they use NTL or stick with the rabits ears is grossly unfair and probably illegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

legally you can't have a dish on the front of your house without planning permission, so its not just about drumming up business for NTL.

Admittedly its a regulation that is rarely enforced.

loyatemu wrote:
    legally you can't have a dish on the front of your house without planning permission, so its not just about drumming up business for NTL.

Admittedly its a regulation that is rarely enforced.

That can't be right. On a technical point, where a law is allowed to lapse and activity contrary to the terms of the [lapsed] law become the norm, then a tradition or "custom" is established, and it is this custom that becomes the new law.

Are you telling me that a guy who has bought a legitimately built house now needs planning permission to put up a satellite?

NTL don't use Satellites...SKY do. For me thats enuff. Everything else is a guise to put one over on people. At the end of the day I have the right of free association, as guaranteed under the Constitution, and I'm not for having it infringed on the flimsy grounds that my cleverly concealed satellite is lowering house prices or some crap. If I want to do business with Sky I will. NTL suck and this isn't Communist Russia, I want to do business with a superior company and I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IT Loser wrote:
    At the end of the day I have the right of free association, as guaranteed under the Constitution, and I'm not for having it infringed on the flimsy grounds that my cleverly concealed satellite is lowering house prices or some crap. If I want to do business with Sky I will. NTL suck and this isn't Communist Russia, I want to do business with a superior company and I will.

whoa, easy there comrade... I'm just pointing out the law, not trying to oppress your constitutional rights

http://tinyurl.com/q2s5y

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
    • A satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

loyatemu wrote:
    whoa, easy there comrade... I'm just pointing out the law, not trying to oppress your constitutional rights

http://tinyurl.com/q2s5y

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
    • A satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

Granted....I know you weren't pushing the official line or anything. Thanks.

Advertisement