Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blowtorching

• 04-05-2006 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to give a burnt effect on some red deal 2x1's I'm using on a project, I've got a blowtorch and did a few tester pieces. Has anyone any tips to use, some problems are, the wood can catch on fire (:rolleyes:) a bit too easily instead of just getting toasted. Think toast, I was it to get darker, but not catch on fire;) Also, the edges tend to take most of the burn. Knots are also a problem, it takes a good while to get these the same colour thus making the un-knotted wood around it take more abuse than the rest. Also, the surface tends to have a cracked texture.

Is there anything I should be doing to prepare the wood? What's direction should the flame be coming from? the top, side or bottom?

Any tips would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm only stabbing in the dark at this, Cormie, but maybe if you dampened the wood slightly first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi, I tried dampen the wood alright, I'm not sure how long I should be wetting it for though, a quick dip doesn't do much as it's just heated off straight away. Should I soak it for an hour or something? Would that ruin the timber? It's cut to size and mitred and everything so I don't want to warp it or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You wouldn't want to be wetting it for very long, certainly. Have you got any scrap stuff you can experiment on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah, I've done a bit of scrap testing, it turned out how I want it, but doing the nots was a bid dodgy on another scrap piece I tried. Hmmm. wonder would die be the more sensible choice.. I'd much prefer to burn it though. I suppose it's a case of trial and error either way! Let's just hope it works out:)

Advertisement