Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick bearded dragon?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi

I have 1 male and 1 female beardie.(dont have them long) Came home last night and the female was acting really strange. she was walking around and doing movements like press-ups... the more worrying thing is she was all black on her neck/under mouth area....whats wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

you sure that's not the male ? sounds like a breeding/mating display ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

tallus wrote:
    you sure that's not the male ? sounds like a breeding/mating display ?

Same here--I was under the impression that only males got the black beard thing to attract the "laydees"!!!!
    Mine does it all the time-the black throat and bobbing display.Usually the black throat is right before he does the biggest s**t imaginable that takes me a week to scrape off the cage.
    Bobbing is a "here look at me" attention seeking thing-well with mine he only does it when we walk into the room.

How old are they??If theyre only babies you should really separate them as breeding in small Beardies can kill the female because they dont really have the bulk to carry eggs and it can be very hard on their bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thats the male posturing - I have 2 males & 1 female & both boys are very orange under they chin that turns black when they are trying to attract the interest of my female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Hellrazer - so have u a male or female then???

She is defo a female....her physical features compared to the male we have are very different....she has small body/head...he has a very large head and darker in color...she does the hand waving al the time

his is about 18 months she is about 12...

Tis very hard to sex a female till she is a full adult & even then experts are known to have got it wrong - I will get a photo of my female I know shes female as she has laid eggs shes is 2 & 1/2 - will do that this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mines defiantely a male and does the black thing all the time lately--Maybe hes feeling frisky ;)
    12 months is ok to breed female beardies at but I want first choice of the babies if they do breed :):)

Plenty of calcium supplements if you do decide to breed them.

My eggs wern't viable the first time - so fingers crossed for next time ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, the males are always posturing.

Advertisement